IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Dash Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 07:25 PM
82ndABN
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

UGH ! Oh well - and I meant another $1200 COVID "SURVIVAL/RELIEF CHECK (from Uncle Sam). I am so far giving COVID-19 the slip !!
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (06-03-20)
Old 06-01-20, 09:26 PM
richy350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Boys I'm looking to get a used dssh from pick and pull. I'll post install tips when I get it done.

My car got the recall but unfortunately when I replaced my radio with aftermarket unit, it ate up my dash.
Old 06-02-20, 01:05 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

My 2008 IS350 is starting to show the problem about few months ago. My car has a very late manufacture date on June 2008, and I thought it won't have the problem (it was actually excluded from the initial 2006-2008 dash replacement campaign based on VIN). I know about the free replacement but my car didn't develop any problems until now ...
Old 06-14-20, 01:15 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 219 Posts

Just wanted to bump this thread- having moved to TX from NJ, my '07 now has this issue. Any new treatments outside of replacing the dash to mitigate it? Should I just wash it with water and mild soap? Such a bummer that the recall is discrete, rather than having a gradient by year.
Old 06-14-20, 01:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Just wanted to bump this thread- having moved to TX from NJ, my '07 now has this issue. Any new treatments outside of replacing the dash to mitigate it? Should I just wash it with water and mild soap? Such a bummer that the recall is discrete, rather than having a gradient by year.
I don't think there is any remedy outside of replacing the dash or a dashboard cover. Unfortunately 2007 models are no longer covered. Wiping the dash down with a microfiber cloth when its hot will only cause the fibers to stick to the dash
Old 06-14-20, 01:29 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Such a bummer. Not sure it is worth the thousands of dollars it will cost to replace it.
Old 06-14-20, 01:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Such a bummer. Not sure it is worth the thousands of dollars it will cost to replace it.
I believe the dashboard from the dealer is around $400, don't know what labor cost is. Someone picked up the dash from the Toyota dealer cheaper and installed it themselves. If your not up DIY, maybe you have an independent mechanic that can do it. The Lexus dealer did it for me in January under the warranty (it expires this year for my model), but my mechanic would do it for around $300
Old 06-14-20, 02:00 PM
richy350
Driver

Boys I tried everything.
-dash repair kits
-sugru (rubberized clay glue)
-vinyl wrap
NOTHING WORKS.
you gotta bite the bullet and pay for a new dash. DIY is simple.

HOWEVER if you have NAV...you may want to wait untill your factory head unit does (becoming very common in recent months). Because a headunit replacement will destroy your dash if you live in a hotter climate.... The soft dash overtime begins to melt and glue itself onto the center AC vent, removal is easy peezy but you're guranteed to damage the dash even more.

Old 06-14-20, 03:14 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by richy350
Boys I tried everything.
-dash repair kits
-sugru (rubberized clay glue)
-vinyl wrap
NOTHING WORKS.
you gotta bite the bullet and pay for a new dash. DIY is simple.

HOWEVER if you have NAV...you may want to wait untill your factory head unit does (becoming very common in recent months). Because a headunit replacement will destroy your dash if you live in a hotter climate.... The soft dash overtime begins to melt and glue itself onto the center AC vent, removal is easy peezy but you're guranteed to damage the dash even more.
I got no DIY skillz. I am new in town, so don't have a mechanic. I will check around at the dealerships to see what the cost is there first and report back. I need the dash and the door panels.
AMIRZA786 (06-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 04:02 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I took various pieces attached to the dash apart doing mods and such. So I'm pretty confident about taking apart the whole dash. It's not difficult, but if you have never touch any part of the dash, it might take some time. Online videos help quite a bit.
Old 06-15-20, 08:07 AM
CFAI
Instructor

I will need to have someone do it for me - I emailed the dealership and they are saying it will be like $3k to replace the dash and door panels - ugh, that is prob around the value of the car
M
Old 06-18-20, 02:35 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Update: Lexus Corp offered to pay the parts only for dash replacement - not the labor (I wonder how much that will be) Unfortunately, person taking my initial call didn't put down that door panels also need replacing. Case manager said she would ask, but was almost certain they wouldn't cover those parts. I will update when I hear back. Still, they didn't have to do anything, but also I a pretty loyal Lexus customer - how many people bring a 13 yo IS250 to the dealer for service - so it is not unreasonable to ask them to do something either.
Old 06-18-20, 02:41 PM
richy350
Driver

Update: Lexus Corp offered to pay the parts only for dash replacement - not the labor (I wonder how much that will be) Unfortunately, person taking my initial call didn't put down that door panels also need replacing. Case manager said she would ask, but was almost certain they wouldn't cover those parts. I will update when I hear back. Still, they didn't have to do anything, but also I a pretty loyal Lexus customer - how many people bring a 13 yo IS250 to the dealer for service - so it is not unreasonable to ask them to do something either.
OMG WOW IM SHOCKED THEY OFFERED TO PAY.
what did you say to convince them?
Old 06-18-20, 02:51 PM
CFAI
Instructor

I guess it could have been the long service history I had at the Lexus dealership I took it to when I lived up north? I mean, I brought that thing in to the dealership even for oil changes - prob the only person there with a 12 yo car getting an oil change at the dealership. Plus I also bought a CPO GX460 from a dealership here in TX last summer after I moved here - so maybe that helped my case manager make the argument - plus, to be honest, the dashboard itself isn't really that much for them - its the door panels that are expensive and very unlikely they will offer to cover them. I doubt this mattered, but my demeanor on the call was very pleasant and appreciative of anything they could for me - I didn't demand or expect anything really, just asked and mentioned my long term relationship with the brand.
AMIRZA786 (06-18-20)
Old 06-20-20, 09:19 PM
theophilus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 Lexus IS250 dash board and door panels are all sticky and splitting apart. This cannot be normal for the calibre of vehicle and replacement should be in order.

Originally Posted by av8or
^^^ They order by vin# but I still got white instead of blue. Even though I reminded the service rep of the blue stitching as well. Tell you what, if you get blue i’ll trade you my white. You pay the shipping .
All joking aside, like i’ve mentioned before, I can always take a blue pen and color it. Doesn’t bother me at all anyways and I highly doubt anyone would notice the stitching color difference. My friends see new door panels and dashboard.

Quick Reply: IS Dash Replacment