IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Dash Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 12:55 AM
nzsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS Dash Replacment

Has anyone had their IS dash replaced? has the sticky dash problem been solved? i just ordered a new dash for my 2007 IS350 and want to know if the dash problem is fixed or will it melt over time?
Old 05-29-20, 10:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I had mine changed in January thru the extended warranty for my 2010 IS350. Lexus of Steven Creek did it in one day. I only had a tiny shiny spot that was almost unnoticeable. Problem solved!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-29-20 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 08:34 PM
PeterDLeon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I had mine changed in January thru the extended warranty for my 2010 IS350. Lexus of Steven Creek did it in one day. I only had a tiny shiny spot that was almost unnoticeable. Problem solved!

Damn it looks really nice. I’ve been wanting to replace my dash bc it also has the sticky ness issue and I ended up not wanting to do anything about it since Lexus wouldn’t want to replace it. But seeing this I think it has to be a must now
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 09:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PeterDLeon
Damn it looks really nice. I’ve been wanting to replace my dash bc it also has the sticky ness issue and I ended up not wanting to do anything about it since Lexus wouldn’t want to replace it. But seeing this I think it has to be a must now
If you are keeping your car long term it would be worth spending the money, which I understand is around $400 from the dealership. I was lucky, the dashboard replacement for my car is still in effect until this year
PeterDLeon (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 09:21 PM
PeterDLeon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
If you are keeping your car long term it would be worth spending the money, which I understand is around $400 from the dealership. I was lucky, the dashboard replacement for my car is still in effect until this year
oh really!? I would’ve thought the dealership would’ve charged way more? Maybe most of the cost comes from labor? But yeah, I do plan on keeping the car for a while. I bought the car from a previous owner and it had a dash carpet over it. I wasn’t and I’m still not too fond of it. But I’m sure now that I’m going to replace it soon.
Old 05-29-20, 09:26 PM
PeterDLeon
Driver School Candidate

was it only your dash that was sticky or was it also the door panels? My problem is only with the dash but I know that previous models from around 06-08 had sticky was with the door panels. I’m not sure if it was completely resolved but I sure hope so. I’d probably recommend getting some to protect the dash, like meguiar’s dash protectant, just in case. But that just my observation and opinion
Old 05-29-20, 10:39 PM
nzsky
Driver School Candidate

So i ended up buying a oem dash from Toyota and fitted it myself to save labor costs, how do you protect the new dash and stop the sticky dash happening again or did the redesign it so it wont happen?
?
Old 05-29-20, 10:56 PM
PeterDLeon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nzsky
So i ended up buying a oem dash from Toyota and fitted it myself to save labor costs, how do you protect the new dash and stop the sticky dash happening again or did the redesign it so it wont happen?
?
Im sure the redesign should’ve fixed the problem with preventing the sticky ness from happening again but I’m not 100% sure. I’d recommend using a dash protect product like meguiar’s ultimate protectant for the interior, or anything similar, just to be safe.... also how was replacing the dash yourself? Was it pretty easy or was it to much of a hassle? Might consider doing it myself too instead of going to a dealer if it’s easy enough
Old 05-29-20, 11:08 PM
nzsky
Driver School Candidate

Its looks like a big job but it just takes abit of time around 3-4hrs. no hassles and you save hundreds of dollars in labor costs. I watched this vid of a guy removing the dash..

Last edited by nzsky; 05-30-20 at 01:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by nzsky:
doctress (06-16-20), nosurprise (06-14-20), PeterDLeon (05-29-20)
Old 05-30-20, 12:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

was it only your dash that was sticky or was it also the door panels? My problem is only with the dash but I know that previous models from around 06-08 had sticky was with the door panels. I’m not sure if it was completely resolved but I sure hope so. I’d probably recommend getting some to protect the dash, like meguiar’s dash protectant, just in case. But that just my observation and opinion
Only the dash, and it was only a small shiny spot on the drivers side. I only had it done because it was free (I even got a loaner car). Dropped it off Friday morning, picked it up Saturday afternoon
Old 05-30-20, 12:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nzsky
?
The new dash should not suffer from the same issue. Plus you should have a warranty on it. This affected Toyota and Lexus 2006 through 2008, and 2009 through 2010 models to a lesser extent. Why Toyota and Lexus didn't fix the issue sooner was probably based on some type of cost/loss analysis. They probably counted on most people not getting it fixed, and from what I've read on this forum, most people didn't get it done and bought their used 2nd gens with the issue unaddressed
nzsky (05-30-20)
Old 05-30-20, 07:20 PM
82ndABN
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is sticky - but I don't know if I could go through all that! ANY chance a 2008 is covered un a recall ?! Probably will have a higher expectation of anther COVID check ; )
Old 05-30-20, 08:11 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 155 Posts

oh really!? I would’ve thought the dealership would’ve charged way more? Maybe most of the cost comes from labor? But yeah, I do plan on keeping the car for a while. I bought the car from a previous owner and it had a dash carpet over it. I wasn’t and I’m still not too fond of it. But I’m sure now that I’m going to replace it soon.
I'm pretty sure they are talking about retail price for the part and not installed price.
Old 05-30-20, 08:13 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 82ndABN
Mine is sticky - but I don't know if I could go through all that! ANY chance a 2008 is covered un a recall ?! Probably will have a higher expectation of anther COVID check ; )
From what I've read the answer would be no for the IS. I wish it was better as I'm looking for an IS and 80% of the cars I see for sale have the rot. Good luck!

My 2008 LS is supposedly covered and the dealer replaced one tiny part (center console - panel around the rear-facing AC vents) but I've not heard back from them two weeks after I spent 2K having my ABS control module replaced. The representative took pics of the upper dash, the lower dash, the glovebox, most of the center console and all four door panels so I'm still holding my breath those will be replaced.
Old 05-30-20, 08:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 82ndABN
The answer is unfortunately no. The 2010 IS models are covered until the end this year. So your chances of getting COVID is much greater than getting Lexus to replace your dash

Quick Reply: IS Dash Replacment