IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Beat Sonic - Phoenix Tablet or Grom Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 06:48 AM
Chris07100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat Sonic - Phoenix Tablet or Grom Unit?

Been researching for about a week now to upgrade my 2008 IS250 stereo system. Started with trying to upgrade bluetooth audio then realized I wanted it ALL, Android capability, mirrorlink, navigation, youtube videos, etc lol. So I came across three solutions. I was wondering if people might chime in with their thoughts.

Phoenix Tablet:
https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pro...-350-2005-2012

Pros: Looks awesome and appears to be plug and play.
Cons: Takes 4 weeks plus to ship, comes from China, and a youtuber said when his unit broke after a firmware update it took him several days to get a hold of customer service and he lost AC and other controls during that time.

Beat Sonic:
https://www.beatsonicusa.com/mvx-140l.html

Pros: I was able to get a hold of someone instantly and it allows you to use any head unit you want. The set up results in 2 screens, the factory nav on top and the new head unit below. No potential of AC controls being lost if the unit fails and you can have video playing on one screen while having nav on the other.

Cons: The price is $439 with steering wheel controls and another $200-$300 for a head unit depending on the unit. Comes out to about $1000 with installation.

Grom V Line
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/ho...n-upgrade.html

Pros: Appears to be plug and play. Basically adds new software to your current touch screen, doesn't change the factory look by removing components like the radio. Appears to have all updated software like Android, Carplay, Mirror link, etc.
Cons: Price is $599 plus another $120 for the DVD controller so your passenger can watch videos while you're driving. It uses the current touch screen (in my case it's from 2008, so I assume it's not 1080p resolution and the touch screen is not as responsive as a modern screen). I also can't seem to find something compatible to update the current screen.

I was speaking to Beat Sonic and they told me they don't know much about Grom other than they are a newer company. They told me to check on Club Lexus because people have been having problems with buggy Grom systems.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Old 06-03-20, 10:09 PM
helmetfvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the BEATSONIC for my 2008 IS250 for about two years now and have not had any problems. I went with that setup because I did not want to lose the AC CONTROLS and it would be easy to return everything back to stock if needed. I have paired that setup with a PIONEER AVH 2330 NEX but this headunit does not have wireless APPLE CARPLAY but it does the job (you already know by your research you can use any headunit so feel free to use any product you want). I recommend watching some of their videos on YOUTUBE because it was one of the deciding factors for me (Hahahaha). My setup (excuse the dash I am getting a new one since it is sticky so I did not care messing it up a little bit):

This is the one that I watched:

Last edited by helmetfvt; 06-03-20 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 08:03 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by helmetfvt
I installed the BEATSONIC for my 2008 IS250 for about two years now and have not had any problems. I went with that setup because I did not want to lose the AC CONTROLS and it would be easy to return everything back to stock if needed. I have paired that setup with a PIONEER AVH 2330 NEX but this headunit does not have wireless APPLE CARPLAY but it does the job (you already know by your research you can use any headunit so feel free to use any product you want). I recommend watching some of their videos on YOUTUBE because it was one of the deciding factors for me (Hahahaha). My setup (excuse the dash I am getting a new one since it is sticky so I did not care messing it up a little bit):

This is the one that I watched:
I saw that unit when I first started my IS search and it looks great. Then I noticed you couldn't use it with a manual transmission =P Still a neat idea.
Old 06-14-20, 09:58 PM
P34R1
Rookie

Hey, have you had any success with this? I am interested in installing the pgrade from Phoenix Automotive. Specifically want to install the 10.4'' vertical screen android 9 fast boot navigation radio in my 2008 is250 awd. Anybody have success? issues? installation pics/vids? much appreciated. thx
Old 06-15-20, 08:35 AM
LynetteAS
Driver School Candidate

Default Phoenix Auto

I just recently bought the Phoenix audio PX6 Android 9 fast boot for my 2012 IS 350. Sent them the picture of the unit to show I had stock Nav, they asked which amp I have so I sent them a pic of that too. Received my unit in about two weeks after order. No instructions in the box just the unit in a bag and two bags of tangled mess. Expecting it to be plug and play as I’ve read other people say for the GS model, I pulled out my unit and starting plugging things in. In the end only one plug actually went into the back of the unit and that’s it. I’m left with a bunch of plugs that don’t plug into anything and multi wire plugs being plugged into theirs that have only 1 wire pinned. I’ve had a ticket open with them for three days trying to get some answers, mind you they responded right away before sending the unit. It looks cool as hell but is definitely very cheap feeling. I’ve read quite a few people who had good luck with the unit but I was not one of them. This is what I was left with