IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Lexus Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 02:18 PM
Hackurs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Lexus Owner

Hey guys and gals, just bought my first Lexus, and wanted to pick your brains a bit on this platform. A bit of history about how the purchase went down, and the potential issues I'm facing: I actually had never considered a Lexus, and never considered them very highly rated, relative to the four mainstream luxury car brands, til I test drove my IS 250. I was impressed with the style and ride, and did some deeper research, correcting some misconceptions and assumptions I had made about the brand, leading to my purchase of my new (to me) 2010 IS 250. It had one previous private owner who sold it at about 90k miles, was purchased at a dealer auction according to the Car Fax, and transported from Texas to Arizona. I purchased it with 109k miles on it (not entirely sure how the dealers put on 19k miles??), and am looking to the maintenance it needs.

The dealer I bought it from replaced the cabin filter (first owner was a smoker) and changed the oil. They inspected everything else, it all looked to be in good order. I then took it to my mechanic (whom I used to trust implicitly, but I'll get to that shortly), and they gave me a list of issues with it, including the lower control arm bushings (front and rear), rear diff, brake, power steering, transmission, and coolant fluid changes, engine air filter, spark plugs, and rear tires. My mechanic said the spark plugs (including an intake manifold gasket?) and the coolant, power steering, transmission and brake fluid changes were all recommended by Lexus as part of their 100k maintenance. I was hearing a creaking from supposedly the rear which I couldn't isolate (will address this shortly too), and they said it was due to the control arm bushings being shot and recommended replacing the control arms, so I took it back to the dealer I bought it from. The owner of the dealership looked at the quote, and said he would have his mechanic order the bushings, and call me back when I should bring the car in to get them changed. The dealership mechanic asked me to bring in the car a couple days later so that they could inspect it as well, to make sure they're on the same page. Aaaand this is where things get interesting- they brought me back, and showed me the bushings to show me what exactly they saw- aside from a one inch crack on one side of the front driver lower control arm bushing (the rear one), I saw no real issues with the bushings, any of them, outside of the normal expected wear and tear. In general, the bushings looked fantastic, just some very minor drying out of the rubber. Even the suspension, axle, CV joints, everything looked great, aside from some caked on sand, which is to be expected given it's spent a decade in TX and AZ. The dealer said there was nothing to replace, and combined with what they showed me, and my own research on what it would take to replace the spark plugs, I am seriously questioning my current mechanic, and will not be returning to them.

Which brings me to present moment. I believe I have isolated the pulsing creak to the rear bumper skin missing a bracing part in the rear passenger wheel well, which I will replace (it's currently just missing) and see if that addresses the issue, but I'm curious to get some input form the more veteran users here on the rest of the maintenance recommendations. The rear tires definitely need replacing, which I have no issue with (down to 3/32 tread), and I've already replaced the engine air filter, but what about the spark plugs and all the fluids? I also checked the Lexus site with my VIN, and there are no active recalls on my car, so I'm wondering if I should replace the spark plugs and which fluids should I have flushed/replaced? Apologies for the long read, and thanks for the help!
Old 06-10-20, 03:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

In September I bought a 2010 IS350 Sport with 52K on it, only had one owner. Car had all maintenance and recalls done, but I still changed the oil, brakes and tires (front tires were almost gone) and plugs. My mechanic inspected it and everything good. For better handling and steering I recently changed the front and rear Swaybars with F-Sport Sway bars and for tighter and better steering I changed the front Lower Control Arm bushings with RR Racing Polyurethane LCA bushings.

At your cars age and mileage, unless it was constantly driven on horrible bumpy roads, the bushings should be fine, but they can go bad as recently I just changed the LCA (drivers side) on my 2013 Toyota Sienna with 145K that's been driven hard with lots of trips over the years. Once you replace missing bracing for the bumper cover you will know if that fixes the noise.

There are a few things common that go bad on Lexus after 100K:
Water pump
Alternator

On the IS250, check it for carbon build up in the intake as this car has DI only (the IS350 has both DI and Port injection). Other than that, these are solid cars that last forever. In fact, buying a Lexus new should be a crime. They are probably one of the best used cars on the market you can buy
Old 06-11-20, 07:48 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

At 100k miles, I'd do the trans and diff fluids for sure. Look at the brake fluid and tell us what color it is. Top-off the coolant and fix any leaks (possible intake gasket, maybe the valve cover gasket?). Replace the tires with similar compound tires as the fronts have and unless it already drives straight, maybe an alignment. You can pull a spark plug and examine it for "wear". Plugs are normally done at 60k miles intervals, IF using iridiums.

By the way, the 2IS has an electronic steering rack; so no fluids there.

Welcome!
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-11-20)
Old 06-11-20, 11:23 AM
Hackurs
Driver School Candidate

Cool I'm filled with confidence in my former mechanic.

Originally Posted by Gville350
At 100k miles, I'd do the trans and diff fluids for sure. Look at the brake fluid and tell us what color it is. Top-off the coolant and fix any leaks (possible intake gasket, maybe the valve cover gasket?). Replace the tires with similar compound tires as the fronts have and unless it already drives straight, maybe an alignment. You can pull a spark plug and examine it for "wear". Plugs are normally done at 60k miles intervals, IF using iridiums.

By the way, the 2IS has an electronic steering rack; so no fluids there.

Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome! I'll double check the brake fluid, but it tested as 0 ppm for copper. Granted, these are by the same people who said the electronic steering needed its fluid flushed. It drives perfectly straight at the moment, but let's see what happens when we put new tires on the rear. If memory serves, they have an uneven wear, so it may happen regardless. I have no idea if the plugs were replaced at 60k, or if they're even iridium which is why I'm contemplating doing them. I got a full set of ruthenium for $60 shipped, seems reasonable to me. What are your thoughts on that? I pulled the shrouds off the motor when I swapped out the air filter for a K&N, and I see no leaks, the worst it had was some dust and sand- are the intake and valve covers a common source of leakage? Thanks for the help! DEFINITELY finding a new mechanic now.
Old 06-11-20, 03:41 PM
Hackurs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In September I bought a 2010 IS350 Sport with 52K on it, only had one owner. Car had all maintenance and recalls done, but I still changed the oil, brakes and tires (front tires were almost gone) and plugs. My mechanic inspected it and everything good. For better handling and steering I recently changed the front and rear Swaybars with F-Sport Sway bars and for tighter and better steering I changed the front Lower Control Arm bushings with RR Racing Polyurethane LCA bushings.

At your cars age and mileage, unless it was constantly driven on horrible bumpy roads, the bushings should be fine, but they can go bad as recently I just changed the LCA (drivers side) on my 2013 Toyota Sienna with 145K that's been driven hard with lots of trips over the years. Once you replace missing bracing for the bumper cover you will know if that fixes the noise.

There are a few things common that go bad on Lexus after 100K:
Water pump
Alternator

On the IS250, check it for carbon build up in the intake as this car has DI only (the IS350 has both DI and Port injection). Other than that, these are solid cars that last forever. In fact, buying a Lexus new should be a crime. They are probably one of the best used cars on the market you can buy
Thanks for the advice! Out of curiosity, how do I check for carbon build up?
Old 06-11-20, 04:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hackurs
Thanks for the advice! Out of curiosity, how do I check for carbon build up?
Check for the following symptoms:
  • Driveability issues
  • Engine vibration or shaking
  • Car jerking or surging at stops
  • Check engine light
  • Cold start misfires
You can also put a scope into your cylinder (remove the spark plug) to see if there is any carbon buildup or how bad it is. Use of Premium fuels help minimize it

Old 06-15-20, 08:19 AM
Hackurs
Driver School Candidate

Check for the following symptoms:
  • Driveability issues
  • Engine vibration or shaking
  • Car jerking or surging at stops
  • Check engine light
  • Cold start misfires
You can also put a scope into your cylinder (remove the spark plug) to see if there is any carbon buildup or how bad it is. Use of Premium fuels help minimize it
I haven't really noticed any of that, save maybe the ignition not being as smooth as it could be, and sort of surging. I put the new spark plugs in, and that fixed it right up no issue though! It's like a whole new car. It wants to get up and go- the brakes feel almost inadequate for reigning it in.
AMIRZA786 (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 10:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I haven't really noticed any of that, save maybe the ignition not being as smooth as it could be, and sort of surging. I put the new spark plugs in, and that fixed it right up no issue though! It's like a whole new car. It wants to get up and go- the brakes feel almost inadequate for reigning it in.
It's bigger brother the IS350 has the bigger front brakes, that's how I can usually tell if someone next to me has either a 250 or 350 without seeing the badges on the back

Old 06-15-20, 02:33 PM
Hackurs
Driver School Candidate

It's bigger brother the IS350 has the bigger front brakes, that's how I can usually tell if someone next to me has either a 250 or 350 without seeing the badges on the back

But the same motor? Seems almost irresponsible.
Old 06-15-20, 02:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

But the same motor? Seems almost irresponsible.
You have the IS250, correct? The IS250 has a 2.5L V6 at around 204 hp while the IS350 has the 3.5L V6 @306 hp. That additional 100 horses makes a huge difference. Thus why I called it the bigger brother! More power, bigger brakes as shown in this 0 to 60 run I did last September (5 seconds)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/khyahcCSGpBWEJJ5A

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-15-20 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 02:58 PM
Hackurs
Driver School Candidate

You have the IS250, correct? The IS250 has a 2.5L V6 at around 204 hp while the IS350 has the 3.5L V6 @306 hp. That additional 100 horses makes a huge difference. Thus why I called it the bigger brother! More power, bigger brakes as shown in this 0 to 60 run I did last September (5 seconds)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/khyahcCSGpBWEJJ5A
Ah, I didn't realize it was a whole liter larger, I thought they had the same motor. That definitely justifies the larger rotor and pads.
AMIRZA786 (06-15-20)