IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A tad surprised how easily I walked a Type R Civic at 85MPH+ today

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 05:52 AM
Patek14
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbusta
I got a friend with a 4 door 2008 335i and I always wanted to race him but he detuned his car and thinking about selling it. I been in his passenger seat while he did a pull at a light and I would easily beat his car now since it doesn’t have a tune. I sat in his car one time before when he had his tune and it felt like itll be a close race but now hes basically stock I would smoke him.

Here is the video of me vs the 370z:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkMgAUL5fA
what do you dyno at?
Old 06-21-20, 10:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
MThey just don't break and keep going and going. My next car will probably be a 2010 or 2011 ISF (if I can find one) or a GSF, probably a 2016 or later used with lower miles.

I'm not really one for loud exhaust sounds unless you pound them. My IS fits that bill, it's quiet when I drive normal and growls when you pound on it. You can't ask for more, except maybe bigger back seats!
Yep, they're unbreakable. Except for a few months ago I had to replace the fuel pump, but that's the dealership's fault though I can't prove it.

I took it in for the fuel rail recall and then the fuel pump goes a couple months later. My indy said the parts aren't really related and so did the dealer but I have to wonder if I would have had to replace said fuel pump if the car was never touched by the dealer in the first place.

I plan on escalating this to get some money back (hopefully), fighting it as much as I can with the upper people at dealer and corporate if I need to. All they can do is say no.

The dealer plain said fuel pumps NEVER go on these.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-21-20)
Old 06-21-20, 10:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yep, they're unbreakable. Except for a few months ago I had to replace the fuel pump, but that's the dealership's fault though I can't prove it.

I took it in for the fuel rail recall and then the fuel pump goes a couple months later. My indy said the parts aren't really related and so did the dealer but I have to wonder if I would have had to replace said fuel pump if the car was never touched by the dealer in the first place.

I plan on escalating this to get some money back (hopefully), fighting it as much as I can with the upper people at dealer and corporate if I need to. All they can do is say no.

The dealer plain said fuel pumps NEVER go on these.
I haven't seen any fuel pumps going out on Toyota and Lexus products, so I am sure that it is related somehow. Approaching 150K you start to see some stuff outside the engine like suspension, rotors, boots leaking etc, stuff that would normally start going bad through wear and tear. My 2006 Camry nearing 150K developed a power steering leak, last year I had to change the radiator and I just changed the front rotors and one of the boots is leaking, but the engine and transmission will easily go another 150K. Now if you had a Euro car this would be common. One of my co-workers had to change his fuel pump on his BMW 3 series at 18K! Another co-worker who has an M5 has all kinds of issues like oil burning and leaking, his valve stem seals are leaking and he's looking at huge costs to fix it. Last summer my nieces husband sold his 2008 IS250 and bought a used low mileage BMW 3 series. I warned him that this was a huge mistake, and now his BMW is throwing a code regarding valve train failure and he had to have the car towed. Luckily he has a warranty on it so hopefully it will be covered
ncatona (06-22-20)
Old 06-21-20, 11:41 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I haven't seen any fuel pumps going out on Toyota and Lexus products, so I am sure that it is related somehow. Approaching 150K you start to see some stuff outside the engine like suspension, rotors, boots leaking etc, stuff that would normally start going bad through wear and tear. My 2006 Camry nearing 150K developed a power steering leak, last year I had to change the radiator and I just changed the front rotors and one of the boots is leaking, but the engine and transmission will easily go another 150K. Now if you had a Euro car this would be common. One of my co-workers had to change his fuel pump on his BMW 3 series at 18K! Another co-worker who has an M5 has all kinds of issues like oil burning and leaking, his valve stem seals are leaking and he's looking at huge costs to fix it. Last summer my nieces husband sold his 2008 IS250 and bought a used low mileage BMW 3 series. I warned him that this was a huge mistake, and now his BMW is throwing a code regarding valve train failure and he had to have the car towed. Luckily he has a warranty on it so hopefully it will be covered
Yeah, something is fishy. Even if it was bad and not the dealer' fault I'm not going to poo poo Lexus for one repair on a 9 year old car.

However I just can't help but wonder. The indy shop only uses OEM parts and honestly knows more about these cars than the Lexus service advisors. They advised me to escalate it.

I have also never heard of a fuel pump go on any Lexus, ever, now that I think about it.

Car has 106k is solid. We will be rid of it long before 150k to avoid potential troubles you mentioned, we want LX but are upside down on this car and I refuse to throw negative equity into a new loan, at least not more than a grand.

Y'all think I should start with dealership or call corporate? I've spent a lot of money at Lexus dealer over the years, and they do follow the "customer is always right" for the most part. I'm good at letters, I wrote a letter to the Acura dealership years ago before I had Lexus cars and they replaced my clutch ($2200 job) on goodwill, I didn't pay a cent.
Old 06-21-20, 01:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah, something is fishy. Even if it was bad and not the dealer' fault I'm not going to poo poo Lexus for one repair on a 9 year old car.

However I just can't help but wonder. The indy shop only uses OEM parts and honestly knows more about these cars than the Lexus service advisors. They advised me to escalate it.

I have also never heard of a fuel pump go on any Lexus, ever, now that I think about it.

Car has 106k is solid. We will be rid of it long before 150k to avoid potential troubles you mentioned, we want LX but are upside down on this car and I refuse to throw negative equity into a new loan, at least not more than a grand.

Y'all think I should start with dealership or call corporate? I've spent a lot of money at Lexus dealer over the years, and they do follow the "customer is always right" for the most part. I'm good at letters, I wrote a letter to the Acura dealership years ago before I had Lexus cars and they replaced my clutch ($2200 job) on goodwill, I didn't pay a cent.
Yes, I would start with talking to the service manager for the Lexus dealer. It's not going to hurt to talk to him or her, I would assume a dealership doesn't want to lose a long time customer over the small amount it would cost them to replace the fuel pump. At the very least they may split the cost with you. I don't even take my cars to the dealerships, I use an independent mechanic (I only took my Toyotas to the dealership for the free 2 year routine maintenance) and my local Lexus dealership here in Northern Cal jumped over backwards for me when I brought my 10 year Lexus in for the sticky dashboard warranty
Old 06-21-20, 01:32 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Patek14
what do you dyno at?
i have never put my car on a dyno but judging by numbers other people get when they do the sames mods that I have I would say anywhere between 275-280 whp
Old 06-21-20, 01:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yes, I would start with talking to the service manager for the Lexus dealer. It's not going to hurt to talk to him or her, I would assume a dealership doesn't want to lose a long time customer over the small amount it would cost them to replace the fuel pump. At the very least they may split the cost with you. I don't even take my cars to the dealerships, I use an independent mechanic (I only took my Toyotas to the dealership for the free 2 year routine maintenance) and my local Lexus dealership here in Northern Cal jumped over backwards for me when I brought my 10 year Lexus in for the sticky dashboard warranty
Yeah I'm thinking I might be able to get them to credit me for the part, I'm going to try my best. Usually I get favorable results when I escalate things.
AMIRZA786 (06-21-20)
Old 06-23-20, 01:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

[Posted by [b]AMIRZA786 View Post
You can't ask for more, except maybe bigger back seats!]

Originally Posted by StanleyR
My mistress and I wholeheartedly agree!
Hahaha! ^^^^
The least they could do is make the front seats move faster!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (06-23-20), StanleyR (06-23-20)
Old 06-23-20, 01:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport

Hahaha! ^^^^
LOL guys I'm sure MANY MANY Lexus IS cars have been f****d in.
Old 06-23-20, 03:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport

Hahaha! ^^^^
Now you guys are making me all misty eyed and nostalgic. My first time was in the back seat of an 86 VW GTI. That car was very special to me, and when it broke down and I didn't have the money to repair it a few years later, I really had a hard time giving it away. Sigh...