IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A tad surprised how easily I walked a Type R Civic at 85MPH+ today

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 08:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts
Default A tad surprised how easily I walked a Type R Civic at 85MPH+ today

I know my gen 2 IS350 is fast, but I know so are these new Type-R Civics with the 306hp. It was for a fact a Type R Civic, not an Si, as it had the goofy looking center exhaust with 3 outlets.

The guy was coming up behind me behind me I knew wanting to play so I got into the right lane (both lanes clear, clear highway, clear day) and just floored it and I know he did the same, he could not keep up at ALL.

I let off the gas at 135 as my spouse was screaming at me. He was pretty a good ways back there, lol.

I waved and honked after I hit the brakes and he flew past me, lol.

I think we had a Honda raceboy passing my car off as a 250. Ha ha ha!

Bet he stared down the 350 badge when he passed me after I slowed down (after the slaughter).

I hate that little car of ours bc it's so impractical and small but it clearly has performance chops, I've never denied it that.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJT123:
ncatona (06-18-20), StanleyR (06-19-20)
Old 06-18-20, 08:15 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

A few weeks back I had a little run against a 370z. As soon as that light turned green we both floored it and I bet he was surprised when he realizes that he was next to my rear wheels lol I would of loved to tell him that I was getting my butt cooled while I was beating his 2 door sports car LMAO I got the race on my dashcam too. I love watching it somethings. Makes me love the 2IS even more.
The following 2 users liked this post by davidbusta:
AJT123 (06-19-20), ncatona (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:30 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting I once went against a buddy of mines 2 door 135i 2010, and I had two other people in the car with me and we both were pulled up at a stop with it being clear in front and gunned it. I pulled ahead of him up to about 50 and then he took the lead with his turbos. He was suprised and so was I, but I had the car on ect on a dead stop so that negatively affected it from what research Ive done here.
Old 06-18-20, 09:45 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

I got a friend with a 4 door 2008 335i and I always wanted to race him but he detuned his car and thinking about selling it. I been in his passenger seat while he did a pull at a light and I would easily beat his car now since it doesn’t have a tune. I sat in his car one time before when he had his tune and it felt like itll be a close race but now hes basically stock I would smoke him.

Here is the video of me vs the 370z:
The following 4 users liked this post by davidbusta:
AJT123 (06-19-20), AMIRZA786 (06-19-20), ncatona (06-18-20), Realzking1 (07-09-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:49 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

People under estimate our cars and thats why I love it. People are shocked when a Lexus can beat a sports car. Its the sleeper effect
The following 3 users liked this post by davidbusta:
AJT123 (06-19-20), AMIRZA786 (06-19-20), ncatona (06-18-20)
Old 06-18-20, 11:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

I've beaten the following cars from a dig in my 2010 IS350:

WRX
Focus ST
BMW 3 series (don't know exact model)
Infiniti G35 (6 speed MT)
Audi A4 2.0t
Honda Accord Sport V6 (8th or 9th Gen)
Honda Accord Sport 2.0t (10th Gen)
Hyundai Veloster N (right before the pandemic)

I lost to an Infiniti Q50 Luxe recently. Because of the twin turbo, it just pulled on me with ease. The story behind the Veloster N is I was taking my son to school, we were getting on the freeway. There are two lanes and stop lights that let one car on the freeway at a time. My light turned green and he jumped the light trying to get on before me. For some reason that pissed me off so I said "hell no" and floored it. I ended up getting into the merging lane before him with plenty of room to spare. We both ended up getting off the same exit, and he pulled up next to me and apologized. He was driving the 6 speed MT and told me he mishifted. He probably did, but I think I can beat a Veloster N if he didn't.

As far as the Civic Type R, I'm not doubting you but those are fast cars, have around the same hp but are almost 1000 lbs lighter. From a dig they are not that fast, but once you get around 3000 RPM the turbo pulls all the way to 7K! I drove my friends CTR and it has so much power that when I was 4th gear I kept thinking I was in third and kept trying to upshift. Maybe in a straight line our cars could take them but any type of bends in the road and it's game over.

Probably a better test of who is faster is a rolling 30 to 80 mph race (FWD cars aren't good at putting to much power down from a dig, plus the CTR's fuel cut-off happens quickly in 1st and 2nd gears)

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-19-20 at 08:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
AJT123 (06-19-20), ncatona (06-18-20)
Old 06-19-20, 09:50 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

I've had a lot of fun with the 350 during our DD's, especially when stumbling upon another spirited driver. Mostly before a freeway entrance whereby you get straight shot to a merge, to a 270 deg sweeper that is notorious for lighting the red triangle mid corner alerting me of low wiper fluid! Any who - from a light prior I stumbled upon a MB E63 V8 (turbo, I think but it sounded odd, like no turbo), whereby I launched passed him which clearly peaked his interest for the next round. Again, from a dig and I'm not sure if this was to warm the tires, just play, show dominance or what but the lights red and he lit up the rears not moving an inch, clearly has POSI, but launch control too? A rather nasty exhaust note from a V8 comes out and what seemed like line lock kept him stationary as he spun the rears up in place for a good bit making a ton of smoke! lol He lets off just as the light turns green and I took off like shot while he spun up again. I pushed it through corner getting the wheel slip warning and once free of the 270 he flew past. I'd guess I was at 85 exiting the ramp (suggested speed is 25, but its wide, so I'm calling it a sweeper). What is odd, is I thought that car should have been their AWD 4matic, but it wasn't. It was very eager to lay down rubber though! And FTR, there was no one else around and 100% visibility.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AJT123 (06-19-20), AMIRZA786 (06-19-20)
Old 06-19-20, 01:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davidbusta
I got a friend with a 4 door 2008 335i and I always wanted to race him but he detuned his car and thinking about selling it. I been in his passenger seat while he did a pull at a light and I would easily beat his car now since it doesn’t have a tune. I sat in his car one time before when he had his tune and it felt like itll be a close race but now hes basically stock I would smoke him.

Here is the video of me vs the 370z:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkMgAUL5fA
Thanks for your responses guys, wow I wasn't expecting that! Lol. The IS isn't my car (spouse's) and I hardly ever drive it. It's not really my thing, those types of cars anymore. BELIEVE ME I used to be that way though, just had enough tickets and dealing with cops. Now I just want space and comfort and smoothness (as you can see I drive an LS430). However when we got that car for my spouse I searched out a 350, a 250 was out of the question lol.

But yeah, a gen 2 IS350 is the ultimate sleeper because they look nice and classy, and everyone who does know cars assumes you're driving a 250 bc that's what 49 out of 50 Gen 2 ISs sold were!

This Civic had to be brand new, or like a year old. You just had to be there but I just knew he wanted to play...so I moved over a lane a floored it. He couldn't keep up...at all.

I slowed down at about 135 bc my spouse was screaming at me and I had made my point--Civic got smoked--but he flew by me after I hit the brakes and I waved really obnoxiously lol. His exhaust crackled bc I assume he let off after he passed me, 4cyls just don't sound good, even the good Honda ones.

FWIW I am a Honda fan, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those go kart looking things. I used to have a 2006 Acura TL 6 speed, great car, great engine...just no torque. Smoother engine than the 3.5 in the IS350 but gutless in comparison.

Last edited by AJT123; 06-19-20 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (06-19-20)
Old 06-19-20, 01:46 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

IMO from 80 to electronic limit of 142, the 350 is out to lunch. It has a great launch, is a quick car to say 80, but a lot of hardware will stomp on it from 80 on up.
For this reason I wouldn't call it fast, but it is pretty quick for a fat sedan at 4,000lbs.

That said, it is a great sleeper and I'm honored to have it and play with others! If it had another 75ft/lbs of torque that would be a game changer for many an outcome!

Be safe people...
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
Cali2is (06-19-20), ncatona (06-20-20)
Old 06-19-20, 01:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Thanks for your responses guys, wow I wasn't expecting that! Lol. The IS isn't my car (spouse's) and I hardly ever drive it. It's not really my thing, those types of cars anymore. BELIEVE ME I used to be that way though, just had enough tickets and dealing with cops. Now I just want space and comfort and smoothness (as you can see I drive an LS430). However when we got that car for my spouse I searched out a 350, a 250 was out of the question lol.

But yeah, a gen 2 IS350 is the ultimate sleeper because they look nice and classy, and everyone who does know cars assumes you're driving a 250 bc that's what 49 out of 50 Gen 2 ISs sold were!

This Civic had to be brand new, or like a year old. You just had to be there but I just knew he wanted to play...so I moved over a lane a floored it. He couldn't keep up...at all.

I slowed down at about 135 bc my spouse was screaming at me and I had made my point--Civic got smoked--but he flew by me after I hit the brakes and I waved really obnoxiously lol. His exhaust crackled bc I assume he let off after he passed me, 4cyls just don't sound good, even the good Honda ones.

FWIW I am a Honda fan, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those go kart looking things. I used to have a 2006 Acura TL 6 speed, great car, great engine...just no torque. Smoother engine than the 3.5 in the IS350 but gutless in comparison.
The CTR is definitely has a very boy racer look, but everything is actually functional, including the three exhausts (the middle exhaust is a resonator). If you look at their trap speed, they are very close to the IS350's. (2010 in this instance)

Old 06-19-20, 02:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
IMO from 80 to electronic limit of 142, the 350 is out to lunch. It has a great launch, is a quick car to say 80, but a lot of hardware will stomp on it from 80 on up.
For this reason I wouldn't call it fast, but it is pretty quick for a fat sedan at 4,000lbs.

That said, it is a great sleeper and I'm honored to have it and play with others! If it had another 75ft/lbs of torque that would be a game changer for many an outcome!

Be safe people...
Lol here I talk about how I don't race, etc. anymore.

However, lol, I want to get my LS430 out at 90-100MPH and race our IS350 from a roll. I'm sure the 350 will win but IDK by quite how much, the 430 has some realllllly long highway legs up above 80 with the V8 power and the superb aerodynamics. From a stop our 350 would destroy the LS430 but I'm not quite as sure up there at highway speeds. It would be a closer race, for sure.

Agree the 3.5 IS350 could use more torque, but once that thing starts spinning above about 4k RPM, 99% of cars had best get out of the way.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The CTR is definitely has a very boy racer look, but everything is actually functional, including the three exhausts (the middle exhaust is a resonator). If you look at their trap speed, they are very close to the IS350's. (2010 in this instance)

Yes, agree. I know they're fast too which is why I was a little surprised. 4cyl cars sound terrible, that I will never, ever change my mind on...so that resonator or whatever is a waste. (And it sounded like a fart can when his exhaust blipped...yuck.)

As I said I drive slow and relaxed now in an LS430 or old Yukon and I don't drive the little hotrod much, but oh I still know car specs and stuff. I'm still and always will be the total gearhead I've always been.

Me posting a race thread is literally taking me back 20 years to young young me and Maxima.org forums, I'm enjoying the nostalgia.

We want rid of this IS for an LX570 and that will happen soon but in the meantime I'm starting to enjoy it a little more. It's just small, I don't really care for small vehicles just a preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJT123:
AMIRZA786 (06-19-20), ncatona (06-20-20)
Old 06-19-20, 05:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol here I talk about how I don't race, etc. anymore.

However, lol, I want to get my LS430 out at 90-100MPH and race our IS350 from a roll. I'm sure the 350 will win but IDK by quite how much, the 430 has some realllllly long highway legs up above 80 with the V8 power and the superb aerodynamics. From a stop our 350 would destroy the LS430 but I'm not quite as sure up there at highway speeds. It would be a closer race, for sure.

Agree the 3.5 IS350 could use more torque, but once that thing starts spinning above about 4k RPM, 99% of cars had best get out of the way.

Yes, agree. I know they're fast too which is why I was a little surprised. 4cyl cars sound terrible, that I will never, ever change my mind on...so that resonator or whatever is a waste. (And it sounded like a fart can when his exhaust blipped...yuck.)

As I said I drive slow and relaxed now in an LS430 or old Yukon and I don't drive the little hotrod much, but oh I still know car specs and stuff. I'm still and always will be the total gearhead I've always been.

Me posting a race thread is literally taking me back 20 years to young young me and Maxima.org forums, I'm enjoying the nostalgia.

We want rid of this IS for an LX570 and that will happen soon but in the meantime I'm starting to enjoy it a little more. It's just small, I don't really care for small vehicles just a preference.
Haha I'm 52 so my racing days are long over. As @2013FSport mentioned earlier most of my "races" are red light to the next light, two lanes merging, or the famous freeway on ramp races. I've already gone through my mid life crisis almost 10 years ago, I wish it involved cars...I don't want to talk about it.

yeah I really love my IS350. It's comfortable, it's fast, and it has a timeless look to it in my opinion. If I need more room or we are going on a family trip, we take the Sienna

EDIT

The resonator is actually to reduce drone and not increase or enhance exhaust sounds. Without it the exhaust note would sound worse. That's why I never understand resonator deletes (or any other type of exhaust delete)

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-19-20 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 07:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Haha I'm 52 so my racing days are long over. As @2013FSport mentioned earlier most of my "races" are red light to the next light, two lanes merging, or the famous freeway on ramp races. I've already gone through my mid life crisis almost 10 years ago, I wish it involved cars...I don't want to talk about it.

yeah I really love my IS350. It's comfortable, it's fast, and it has a timeless look to it in my opinion. If I need more room or we are going on a family trip, we take the Sienna
Agree, I like all of them but the one we have is the best looking. It's a 2011 gen 2, after the refresh with the 5 spoke rims and LED DRLs.

The resonator is actually to reduce drone and not increase or enhance exhaust sounds. Without it the exhaust note would sound worse. That's why I never understand resonator deletes (or any other type of exhaust delete)
IDK if trucks are your thing but I had the muffler ripped out of my Yukon and a straight pipe put in....to my ears it sounds as good as any vehicle on the road. Small block V8 rumble, yes please!

It sounds mean as hell, and crackles and pops quite nicely. It cost me $100. I wouldn't do it to a brand new Yukon or anything, it's my beater truck. The loud exhaust is part of its character and charm lol.
AMIRZA786 (06-19-20)
Old 06-19-20, 08:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Agree, I like all of them but the one we have is the best looking. It's a 2011 gen 2, after the refresh with the 5 spoke rims and LED DRLs.

IDK if trucks are your thing but I had the muffler ripped out of my Yukon and a straight pipe put in....to my ears it sounds as good as any vehicle on the road. Small block V8 rumble, yes please!

It sounds mean as hell, and crackles and pops quite nicely. It cost me $100. I wouldn't do it to a brand new Yukon or anything, it's my beater truck. The loud exhaust is part of its character and charm lol.
My previous car I drove for 14 years was a 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 that was quiet and isolated you from road noise and was only loud when you put the pedal to the floor giving you that satisfying V6 growl. I gave it to my daughter when she started college and bought a 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan with a 6 speed MT. It was a cheap fun car, had a peppy 1.5L 205 hp turbo charged engine, but just wasn't the car for me so I sold it after a year and bought my current 2010 IS350 Sport last September with 52K on it which fits my personality much more, especially coming from over 25 years of Toyota ownership. They just don't break and keep going and going. My next car will probably be a 2010 or 2011 ISF (if I can find one) or a GSF, probably a 2016 or later used with lower miles.

I'm not really one for loud exhaust sounds unless you pound them. My IS fits that bill, it's quiet when I drive normal and growls when you pound on it. You can't ask for more, except maybe bigger back seats!
ncatona (06-20-20)
Old 06-20-20, 11:16 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't ask for more, except maybe bigger back seats!
My mistress and I wholeheartedly agree!
AMIRZA786 (06-21-20)

Quick Reply: A tad surprised how easily I walked a Type R Civic at 85MPH+ today