IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My thoughts on installing an ISF Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 04:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
I’ve done some researching of the part numbers… Doesn’t look like this will interchange with a 3GS
Never seen it done. How about compare your PN to a GS-F? RC-F is shorter wheel base and may screw up the computers if you happen to cross it up.
Old 02-05-23, 06:56 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamehoo
No, you dont take them apart, it is very easy, just 2 tabs, 4 screw and a couple of connectors and you are done. 15 min max.
Yamehoo, would the following video tutorial for installing the IS F damper be accurate;

Old 02-05-23, 08:57 AM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, it is right on point, just make sure you take the picture of the wiring position so when you're done installing the damper, you put them back to where they were before so you don't have to worry about wiring out of place and get pinched.
Old 02-05-23, 11:06 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Thank you for the follow up and confirmation. I appreciate your time and doing so! To confirm,, did you mean to keep track of which connecter goes where on the back of airbag, or be mindful when routing the wires back in place when reinstalling the airbag (so not to crush a wire between parts. Also, would it be an issue to install the damper while waiting to have the IS F power steering ECU installed, or should install both, the damper and ECU at the same time?

Last edited by ELexis; 02-05-23 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-05-23, 04:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I'm glad this thread is still alive and helping people. @Yamehoo do you still have your IS350? Still remember you helping me with my install like it was yesterday!
Old 02-06-23, 08:02 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Hi, what I meant was like be mindful when routing the wires back after installing the damper so the wires go back to their original position and don't get pinched when you reinstall the airbag.

There should be no issue to install the damper first, however, you may want to wait until you have the ISF ECU ready and install them at the same time. There are 2 reason for it: 1) You will see a bigger difference when you have both at the same time. 2) When adding the damper, one should recalibrate the steering ECU so the extra weight and counter weight is programmed in the ECU (I did not know this until a master tech at longo lexus told me), you will kill 2 birds with one stone when you recalibrate the ECU with you new steering ECU.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Another thing, think twice before programming the ECU with a knock off cable, it may work or it may fry your ECU
Old 02-06-23, 08:04 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm glad this thread is still alive and helping people. @Yamehoo do you still have your IS350? Still remember you helping me with my install like it was yesterday!
I'm glad you are still coming here time to time. We used to see your posts very often and you were missed in this board
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 08:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I'm glad you are still coming here time to time. We used to see your posts very often and you were missed in this board
​​​​​​I post now in Car Chat. You can check out some of my threads there
Old 02-08-23, 04:01 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Hi, what I meant was like be mindful when routing the wires back after installing the damper so the wires go back to their original position and don't get pinched when you reinstall the airbag.

There should be no issue to install the damper first, however, you may want to wait until you have the ISF ECU ready and install them at the same time. There are 2 reason for it: 1) You will see a bigger difference when you have both at the same time. 2) When adding the damper, one should recalibrate the steering ECU so the extra weight and counter weight is programmed in the ECU (I did not know this until a master tech at longo lexus told me), you will kill 2 birds with one stone when you recalibrate the ECU with you new steering ECU.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Another thing, think twice before programming the ECU with a knock off cable, it may work or it may fry your ECU
Understood, and yes, most helpful! Will await until the ECU is obtained and install both as suggested. Regardless if the ECU is Used or New, when the steering damper is also installed, will need to have ECU calibration performed, correct? Again thank you for your time and following up!
Also realized that the "clips" attached to the left and right of the steering wheel damper are actually wire strain relief clips / holders;

Old 02-10-23, 03:51 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Follow up wanting to confirm the following;
I understood it was recommended to install the steering wheel damper and IS F ECU together however, not an issue if the damper is installed first while awaiting for the IS F ECU to be installed.
When installing just the steering wheel damper with an existing IS 350, is it necessary to have the EXISTING IS350 ECU re-calibrated (having the extra weight and counter weight programmed in the ECU)?
If installing the steering wheel damper with USED IS F ECU, is re-calibration needed due to installing the steering wheel damper?

Old 02-10-23, 05:19 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis
Follow up wanting to confirm the following;
I understood it was recommended to install the steering wheel damper and IS F ECU together however, not an issue if the damper is installed first while awaiting for the IS F ECU to be installed.
When installing just the steering wheel damper with an existing IS 350, is it necessary to have the EXISTING IS350 ECU re-calibrated (having the extra weight and counter weight programmed in the ECU)?
If installing the steering wheel damper with USED IS F ECU, is re-calibration needed due to installing the steering wheel damper?
you only should recalibrate the ecu when you change the ecu. If the steering ecu you purchase is new it’s required to recalibrate it or if the steering ecu you purchase used then it is just recommended but not required to recalibrate it. The steering damper doesn’t need to have the ecu recalibrated at all. It’s not even recommended as it’s not necessary at all… it’ll just be a waste of time and money recalibrating after the steering damper install.
Old 02-11-23, 02:52 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Understood davidbusta, thank you for follow up!
(Although recommended, installing the steering wheel damper has nothing to do with ECU calibration and can be installed by itself with existing IS250/350 ECU. Installing a NEW ECU requires the ECU be calibrated, but not required if the ECU is USED, again although recommended).

If NEW Steering ECU is installed and unable to have the calibration performed immediately after installation, can the vehicle be driven safely for a short time without experiencing any issues or possible damage, until the calibration can be performed?
Old 02-11-23, 07:36 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis
Understood davidbusta, thank you for follow up!
(Although recommended, installing the steering wheel damper has nothing to do with ECU calibration and can be installed by itself with existing IS250/350 ECU. Installing a NEW ECU requires the ECU be calibrated, but not required if the ECU is USED, again although recommended).

If NEW Steering ECU is installed and unable to have the calibration performed immediately after installation, can the vehicle be driven safely for a short time without experiencing any issues or possible damage, until the calibration can be performed?
I am not sure about it being issue free other than you’ll be driving the car without power steering. I installed my steering ecu in a shopping center right next to a lexus dealer and it was hard turning the steering wheel to get the car into the lexus dealer.
Old 02-11-23, 08:10 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Thank you. Overlooked loosing the function of power steering when the ECU is installed. Will obtain pricing and schedule a date to have the dealership perform the calibration, then select a place not to far from Dealership to perform the ECU install.

I understand installing a USED ECU, power steering function isn't lost and calibration isn't required due to the ECU using the calibration / parameters from the donor vehicle the ECU was removed from.
With that being said, I can understand the the recommendation to have even a USED ECU calibrated to the new vehicle it has been installed in. This will tailor the ECU calibration the the current vehicles' suspension, tires, spring / shock rates, sway bar dimensions etc,.to accurately set the ECU parameters to the new vehicles' suspension.

Also came across the following; IS-F / Sport Steering ECU
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-ecu-12.html

Again, thank you all for assisting with understanding the installation of a NEW / USED ECU and wheel damper into a 2nd GEN IS.

Last edited by ELexis; 02-11-23 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-11-23, 10:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Elex, it doesn't do any of that. It's a center point correction of the racks input to the steering angle sensor in the steering column and feasibly some level of current draw. So, adding mass to the wheel does nothing to calibration.

Driving w out PS isn't that cray cray. Quick response to say a car pulling out will be very poor and VDIM disabled. Just keep it rolling and keep the distance short. I recall doing the swap, it initially was a bit of mystery to get the connectors apart as they depart like 60%, then you you do some other magic for the total disconnect.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on installing an ISF Steering ECU