IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My thoughts on installing an ISF Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 08:18 AM
jcgeorge
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In fact I would give a money back guarantee if someone doesn't love it over stock!
That's bold haha! But based on all the positive feedback I've come across on the site, I doubt anyone would take you up on that

Side note, I heard back from a local Lexus dealership (still waiting for Toyota's response):
Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry with us, I have attached our Shop Foreman to this email who will be best suited to answer your questions. If this is possible to perform the cost will be $159.00-$238.00 + 13% HST.
Have a great day!
Assistant Service Manager
Good morning,
As you might already be aware, the power steering ECU and steering gear assembly work in conjunction with each other. This is indeed an unusual request and it might simply not work. As long as you are aware that we are willing to try and initialize the torque and angle sensors for you, providing you sign off on liability and warranty issues that might arise from the work. We will try to accommodate your request and let you know if the computer allows for the combination or not. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Shop Foreman
This is lower than I expected to be honest and I'm assuming Toyota will be even lower, so I'm going to try a new unit ending -41, @AMIRZA786, but thank you again for your offer!

Now, the shop foreman's warning about the different components working together brings me to a question - am I right in assuming this ECU would cause higher wear/tear to the mechanical components over time compared to the OE ECU? So far I've only come across people sharing their positive initial feedback, but no one has shared any failures/maintenance issues that arose (besides power steering not available immediately after the install due to calibration not being done yet), so just wanted to get peoples' thoughts.
Old 09-16-20, 09:19 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgeorge
Now, the shop foreman's warning about the different components working together brings me to a question - am I right in assuming this ECU would cause higher wear/tear to the mechanical components over time compared to the OE ECU? So far I've only come across people sharing their positive initial feedback, but no one has shared any failures/maintenance issues that arose (besides power steering not available immediately after the install due to calibration not being done yet), so just wanted to get peoples' thoughts.
I believe I installed my -41 unit back in 2013 which makes it 7+ years of daily use and AutoX/track use. No mechanical issues from the upgraded Steering ECU so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20), jcgeorge (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 09:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

That's bold haha! But based on all the positive feedback I've come across on the site, I doubt anyone would take you up on that

Side note, I heard back from a local Lexus dealership (still waiting for Toyota's response):

This is lower than I expected to be honest and I'm assuming Toyota will be even lower, so I'm going to try a new unit ending -41, @AMIRZA786, but thank you again for your offer!

That's better pricing. I would say that they are just being cautious as when you input the part number of the ECU and the VIN of your car, their inventory system says it's incompatible. I don't see how it causes any additional wear. The difference is that is makes the steering "feel" a bit stiffer, and traction control and VSC don't interfere as much. When calibrating, there is really nothing "additional" they need to do to make it work with your car. My ECU came straight out of an ISF and was never re-calibrated, I just plugged it in, and since it was already calibrated it just worked. People have been using this ECU for years, so someone more knowledgeable than me can weigh in like @2013FSport or @redspencer
Old 09-16-20, 09:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redspencer
I believe I installed my -41 unit back in 2013 which makes it 7+ years of daily use and AutoX/track use. No mechanical issues from the upgraded Steering ECU so far.
Well, there you go!
Old 09-16-20, 09:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Just let the shop manager know that there are a large number of 2nd Gen IS owners that had this installed for years. Also let them know that those that bought used ones didn't have to have them re-calibrated. It's kind of like this: buying and installing LCA bushings for an RC-F on an IS350. They fit the car perfectly, and improve the cars handling and stability substantially, yet when you buy them from a Lexus dealer or an online Lexus parts store, you get a message that's it's not compatible and doesn't fit. On top of that, the Lexus dealership will probably not want to install them, although they actually improve the cars performance
Old 09-16-20, 10:30 AM
jcgeorge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
Oh great! I expect you have put your car through the wringer more than most of us, so that's definitely reassuring to hear.

Ps, I literally just last night subscribed to your YT channel, great content!

Just let the shop manager know that there are a large number of 2nd Gen IS owners that had this installed for years. Also let them know that those that bought used ones didn't have to have them re-calibrated. It's kind of like this: buying and installing LCA bushings for an RC-F on an IS350. They fit the car perfectly, and improve the cars handling and stability substantially, yet when you buy them from a Lexus dealer or an online Lexus parts store, you get a message that's it's not compatible and doesn't fit. On top of that, the Lexus dealership will probably not want to install them, although they actually improve the cars performance
Yeah, that's the way I'm going to present it, here's hoping everything works out.

Fwiw, my local Toyota just got back to me to say they won't do it... so the Lexus dealership it is!
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 10:54 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

The IS250 RWD, IS350 RWD, and IS F all use the same steering components, including the rack and column. The only difference is the programming in the EPS ECU.

If there were to be increased wear to the components, it would already be happening to IS F's.

But, they like to cover their bases.

Any Toyota/Lexus dealer or anyone with a Techstream can do the EPS calibration. If one dealer won't do it, call another. Don't even need to tell them what you replaced it with or why, just say you replaced the EPS ECU and need to have it calibrated, what would they charge to do that and see what they say.

Jeff
The following 4 users liked this post by Jeff Lange:
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20), B00M3R (10-17-20), jcgeorge (09-16-20), redspencer (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 11:31 AM
sanatarium
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this sounds like a great improvement. I can't stand the spot that is twitchy but also dead at the same time, on straight line highway driving that many Toyotas have. Very weird to me. Glad this fixes that.
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 01:54 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

If everyone and their brother buys an IS-F EPS unit, Yoda boys gonna think they're failing in the field! Hahaha!
Maybe they'll drop the cost! But don't hold you're breath!
The following 3 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20), jcgeorge (09-16-20), redspencer (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 02:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
If everyone and their brother buys an IS-F EPS unit, Yoda boys gonna think they're failing in the field! Hahaha!
Maybe they'll drop the cost! But don't hold you're breath!
Haha they know. There is only a limited amount of 2011 ISF's on the road, and the most sought after EPS is for the 2011 ISF. I was talking to a Lexus Parts manager looking to see if they had an upgraded part specifically for an F-Sport accessory, than I asked him if the same RC-F part would work on my car. He told me to check on clublexus LOL "cause these guys have tried everything". I almost burst out laughing
2013FSport (09-17-20)
Old 09-16-20, 02:41 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

@AMIRZA786 You might want to add the ISF steering damper to go with the ECU. It makes a difference.
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 03:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamehoo
@AMIRZA786 You might want to add the ISF steering damper to go with the ECU. It makes a difference.
Oh man, I don't want to take my steering wheel apart!
Old 09-16-20, 04:10 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

No, you dont take them apart, it is very easy, just 2 tabs, 4 screw and a couple of connectors and you are done. 15 min max.
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 04:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamehoo
No, you dont take them apart, it is very easy, just 2 tabs, 4 screw and a couple of connectors and you are done. 15 min max.
I'll think about maybe after I get from Southern Cal next week. It's cheap enough, the Lexus dealership near me has it online for $25
Old 09-16-20, 07:21 PM
jcgeorge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The IS250 RWD, IS350 RWD, and IS F all use the same steering components, including the rack and column. The only difference is the programming in the EPS ECU.

If there were to be increased wear to the components, it would already be happening to IS F's.

But, they like to cover their bases.

Any Toyota/Lexus dealer or anyone with a Techstream can do the EPS calibration. If one dealer won't do it, call another. Don't even need to tell them what you replaced it with or why, just say you replaced the EPS ECU and need to have it calibrated, what would they charge to do that and see what they say.

Jeff
Good point. I had told only the first Lexus dealer that it was an IS F ECU, but you're right - if I'm doing the swap myself, they don't even need to know that. I'll make sure to follow this in the future.

It's interesting how different dealers have different policies. The first Lexus dealer agrees to it if I release them from all liability; the second one said they won't calibrate unless the part is provided and installed by them, which doesn't make sense but I didn't argue. The First Toyota dealer said pretty much the only Techstream related work they can do on a Lexus is TPMS programming and suggested I ask a Lexus dealer, which again didn't make sense; now waiting to hear from the second Toyota dealer who has been my primary source of parts so far.
​​​​​​
Thanks also for the note on the same components, Jeff, good to know!​

I'll think about maybe after I get from Southern Cal next week. It's cheap enough, the Lexus dealership near me has it online for $25
Nice! The cheapest I found that part near me is $54 CAD, what a price difference for some dead weight! But I have it on order; hoping to install at the same time as the ECU since the battery would be disconnected already.

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread dude!
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20)

Quick Reply: My thoughts on installing an ISF Steering ECU