IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PX6 Tesla Radio Install - 2nd Gen Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 11:03 AM
GurpreetS
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PX6 Tesla Radio Install - 2nd Gen Lexus IS

This will hopefully save someone a lot of time and will help you install a Tesla Style Radio PX6 system. I own a Lexus IS 250 2007 with Navigation and after following the steps below this unit works flawlessly.

#1. Buy from the right dealer. Lesson learned – originally I bought a unit from Phoenix Radio in California. I should have read their reviews rather than looking at the fact it was cheaper than other vendors. What a disaster. It took over 2 months to receive, terrible customer support once I did – I would report an issue, they would not respond for days and then I would get a message asking what the problem was. I took photos, sent videos and finally after they accidentally bcc’d all the customers who were having issues (and I got over 400 random email addresses) I realized their were hundreds of people with concerns ranging from glitchy screens, app crashes, black screens, audio issues, dangerous driving air conditioning malfunctions and more. My issue was with an airbag light which I’ll get into below that they could not solve for 6 weeks at which point; without prompting, I returned the unit and advised them they needed to issue a refund which to their credit they did.

The unit from Phoenix Radio was made in Zengzhou, China. After researching I found another company in Canada called 4x4 shop. They had great reviews, were more expensive but everyone said they had great customer service. They have their radios made in Hong Kong which they claimed were better quality with better internal parts. After receiving the new unit I can personally say was true for my PX6 unit. Even though the unit looked the same as from Phoenix the connectors just fit smoother and the software runs smoother. The unit also arrived within 10 days of purchasing to my doorstep.

#2. I won’t talk about how to remove the radio, there are lots of YouTube video and after taking a couple hours to learn how to remove the unit I can say you’ll be able to do it in 5 minutes or less once you take the radio in and out a few times like I needed to. The one tip I can give is wrap some needle nose pliers in tape to pull out the central cooling vents above the radio rather than using a prying tool. Originally, I watched a video which recommended a trim removal tool but because of the sticky dashes (Google this) with these 2nd gen vehicles you will take out small chunks by applying pressure. Ie: be careful! Otherwise you will be looking at getting something like Sugru to mickey mouse a repair – I learned that the hard way – lol. My damage was not too bad but I watched another video of someone who took out some massive chunks so take your time the first time and if you use the needle nose pliers you won’t have any issues.

#3. The factory back up camera will not work with these units. It is a 6V camera and you need a 12V one. I bought an HD ip69K camera and made my own bracket after removing the factory camera. It’s much clearer than factory and integrates with the unit creating parking lines and dynamic guidelines. Just watch a Youtube video on how to run the wire from the trunk to the head unit. The bracket I made from an aluminum strip and had to make it large enough to cover the previous large 1.75"x1.75" square hole from the factory camera. Stainless steel screws and silicone to seal.

#4. For the Bluetooth mic, run the wire cable using a 3.5mm 3 ft female to male extension wire to beside the rearview mirror. Great audio quality from this location and no road noise picked up during conversations.

#5. If you have XM radio it will not work without an adapter of some sort. With my PX6 I have a mobile hot spot set up, so the interface is just like my phone. I have Amazon music and Stitcher downloaded from the Google play store and they work perfectly so you won’t miss XM radio.

#6. For the GPS antenna. You could use their supplied plug, but the signal is not great. I found an adapter, shipped from Japan, so I could use the Factory GPS. Strong signal and works perfectly with Waze and Google Maps. I bought it from Amazon and it was called a Faker adapter - 24

I personally prefer Waze everytime I drive for the real time features and Police/Red Light warnings.

#7. When first installing the unit I got an airbag error light on the dash.

The first solution I was asked to do from Phoenix was check Airbag connectors. Which I did and they were fine. Second solution was send them the error code. I had purchased Toyota Techstream from Amazon, so I was able to go in and see the error code was B1660. It is related to occupancy in the passenger seat and airbag deployment.

I tried to clear the code but that did not work at which point Phoenix said they would talk to their China manufacturer and six weeks later with no solution I sent the unit back. If you have the error light in the dash the airbag won’t be deployed in an accident according to the mechanic I spoke with.

The harness responsible on the back of the factory unit is circled below and as an aside – the backup camera connector is the same so make sure you use the correct one when plugging into the T-harness. The backup camera connector is the only one that will not plug into any connectors on the supplied T-harness.

When I received the second unit for 4x4 shop they supplied me with a T-harness that had two wires labelled LED3.4.7 and two wires labelled LED5.6.8. Connect the LED3.4.7 to one another and connect the LED 5.6.8 to one another. This will get rid of the error code! It does this by correcting the impedance avoiding a circuit fault.

#8. The 2007 Lexus model has a slightly different center AC vent design so their will be a slight gap between the vent and radio. Not a big issue but be aware, from what I’ve researched 2008-13 models fit better.

#9. The FM antenna plugs directly into the unit. To get the AM radio functioning you’ll need to connect the gray AMP-Power wire from the audio out cable harness to the yellow wire from the factory wiring in the diagram below. Photo courtesy of 4x4shop.ca

#10. This radio is a FANTASTIC upgrade to the existing unit, even for those like myself that had factory Navigation this is a massive improvement. Updates the vehicle to current standards and with firmware updates it will be future ready for new features. I purchased a firmware upgrade from Sergey who runs a site called Tesla Style. Firmware and Headunits – highly recommend getting this firmware along ongoing customer support for any software issues. His software provides skins that look a lot better that the original one that come with the unit, you get an easy access boot screen and enhanced options to customize the unit. Also, buy the PX6 unit – much faster booting and operational flow than the older PX3.

That’s it! Enjoy 2nd gen Lexus IS owners

The following 3 users liked this post by GurpreetS:
1UZach (07-03-20), SoSoDave (07-21-21), WylieKylie (07-23-20)
Old 07-03-20, 02:26 PM
1UZach
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually just bought a unit just like yours, though with mine when i plug it all in the hazards just flash and the button does nothing to remedy it. Unfortunately the seller couldn't get it to work and just told me to unplug it(which leaves my blinkers working thankfully but no flashers.) Also seem to have an issue with the rear speakers not working as well as the airbag light but I know there is a fix for it. Overall really liking having a full tablet in my car instead of just something with android auto as I can just download YTMusic or spotify and play directly from the unit using my phone as a hotspot. Now to figure out how to make it work with my bluetooth OBDLink LX. Thanks for the writeup!
Old 07-04-20, 10:55 AM
GurpreetS
5th Gear

No problem, happy to share the info.

With my vehicle the speakers ALL play music but with the factory amplifier the Front Left Button toggle will control both the Front Left and Rear Left speaker. The Front Right control button controls the Front Right and Rear Right speakers. If you try to have audio play from the individual quadrants or change front/rear balance you won't be able to. You can check for audio playing with your ear next to the speakers. The Rear Left and Rear Right toggles will not do anything on or off.

If you really wanted or needed this functionality you'd need to buy a new amplifier and wire it into the harness provided with the unit.

The PX6 Equalizer DSP function and sound field adjustments will work with the factory amplifier nicely.

The hazard function is most likely a wiring issue with the T-harness so sorry can't help with that one.

Good luck with the wireless OBDLink!

Old 07-04-20, 08:36 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will never buy from Phoenix again. I got the 10.4 inch I'd say almost at two months from the day my payment went through. A lot of unanswered emails later I get what I thought would be a good unit. It worked but really slow. It played my back speakers but very very quiet. Now to start the process of returning it. If anybody has any experience returning an item from Phoenix let me know if you had any issues and what to watch out for.
Old 07-17-20, 03:03 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you please provide the link to “4x4” or whichever seller. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
SoSoDave (07-21-21)
Old 07-18-20, 01:29 PM
GurpreetS
5th Gear

https://4x4shop.ca/
Old 07-20-20, 12:40 AM
ed21x
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been wanting to do this upgrade for quite some time. Thanks so much for this review!
Old 07-23-20, 01:37 PM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought this unit back in April from 4x4, had one on order from Phoenix glad I cancelled with them. So far I like my unit. Can you tell me where I can find the display size for the screen. Also I've seen updates that change out A/C controls and other things How can I get those?
Old 07-23-20, 03:08 PM
GurpreetS
5th Gear

Size is 1024 x 768 for this screen. The stock firmware won't allow you to change the Pop Up Air Conditioning user Interface. I talked to Sergey with Tesla Style Facebook page and he said he might make an updated Pop Up UI in the future when he has time.

That being said if you want to change the look of the home screen Sergey's firmware will be able to do that

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tesla.style.FW.HU/announcements

Old 05-16-21, 12:07 AM
JoeyChong
Driver School Candidate

Hi GurpreetS, after reading this post of yours, what I understand is that the hazard light button is no longer working is that what you meant?
Old 07-21-21, 04:57 PM
SoSoDave
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the USA while my car is in Panama. That means that I can't pull my nav unit to be certain whether I have the "High end" unit or the "Mid-range" unit, according to 4x4.

I would like to order it while in the USA since importing to Panama is a pain.

Can you tell me which unit I have based on it being a 2010 IS250 convertible with Nav but NOT the Mark Levinson system?

It has a back-up cam, but nothing special otherwise.

I will guess that it has the "Mid-range" system, and that the ML is the "High-end" system, but I wanted to check, since returns are impossible.

Thank you VERY much for this write-up!!!!!

PS, should I order their $60 cam, or go with an after-market, as you did?
Old 01-13-22, 05:43 PM
skytribe
Driver School Candidate

This looks like an awesome unit BUT I am still wary about the unit because of issues in the past with units like the flyaudio that although more up to date than the original factory-installed unit. Still had issues.

Some questions for anyone with the unit.

1. Do steering wheel controls still work?
2. Are all lights such as airbag lights resolved?
3. Do AC controls work correctly ?
4. Does it support Sirius satellite radio as an input ?
5. Are the installation instructions / wiring harness straightforward.

Old 02-11-22, 08:16 AM
vastik2343
Driver School Candidate

can anyone tell me if i need a external speaker to make phone calls as im very confused on how the website has this mentioned
Old 02-10-23, 07:29 AM
Alternet
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone else get this from 4x4? I'm looking at their 3rd gen version of it now and i'm curious if they fixed the front rear balance audio issue that GurpreetS mentioned. or if there are any other positives or negatives from anyone who has owned it for awhile?