IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cruise Control/Steering Shifters no bueno

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20 | 04:05 PM
Shadow1495
Driver School Candidate

Default Cruise Control/Steering Shifters no bueno

Hey guys,

So had to drive a bit further round town today, to where I needed to activate my Cruise control, but noticed that it wouldn't come on. Once I got to my destination, I tried out the shift paddles, and no luck with those either.

My Lex has an Auto Trans

Might this be a fuse issue? Or something deeper?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-20 | 04:28 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shadow1495
Hey guys,

So had to drive a bit further round town today, to where I needed to activate my Cruise control, but noticed that it wouldn't come on. Once I got to my destination, I tried out the shift paddles, and no luck with those either.

My Lex has an Auto Trans

Might this be a fuse issue? Or something deeper?

Thanks!
Does your horn work? What about the buttons on the steering wheel that controls the radio? I am going to say its most likely your clockspring has gone bad.
Old 07-12-20 | 04:38 PM
Shadow1495
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidbusta
Does your horn work? What about the buttons on the steering wheel that controls the radio? I am going to say its most likely your clockspring has gone bad.
The horn and radio buttons on steering wheel do work. So do the turn signals and wiper contols

​​​

Last edited by Shadow1495; 07-12-20 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Adding some more info
Old 07-12-20 | 04:53 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shadow1495
The horn and radio buttons on steering wheel do work. So do the turn signals and wiper contols

​​​
I have a friend who bought an is350 with neither of the paddles working and he lived with it like that for a few months until I swapped my paddle shifters with ISF paddles. In process of switching them I messed up my clockspring. The steering wheel buttons would work when it wants and without pushing them theyll being turning up the volume on my radio by themselves. I switched out the clockspring and it all worked like normal. But back to my friends, after I switched my paddles I sold him my stock ones thinking that a wire went bad on his. After he changed them out, they worked when they wanted to. And since I had just went through looking up information about my problem with the clockspring I told him possibly the clockspring on his car gone bad. After he switched the clockspring the problem was 100% solved.
The clock spring is what gives power to the horn, buttons, airbag everything electronic thats on the steering wheel.
Old 07-12-20 | 04:58 PM
Shadow1495
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidbusta
I have a friend who bought an is350 with neither of the paddles working and he lived with it like that for a few months until I swapped my paddle shifters with ISF paddles. In process of switching them I messed up my clockspring. The steering wheel buttons would work when it wants and without pushing them theyll being turning up the volume on my radio by themselves. I switched out the clockspring and it all worked like normal. But back to my friends, after I switched my paddles I sold him my stock ones thinking that a wire went bad on his. After he changed them out, they worked when they wanted to. And since I had just went through looking up information about my problem with the clockspring I told him possibly the clockspring on his car gone bad. After he switched the clockspring the problem was 100% solved.
The clock spring is what gives power to the horn, buttons, airbag everything electronic thats on the steering wheel.

Ah! Ok, so maybe in this case, the paddles and CC part of the clockspring are probably no good anymore then. I'll definitely look into that!