IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED light strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 07:29 PM
yakwtfgelo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED light strip

Has anyone ever installed LED headlight strips? They look like this.

For anyone that has experiences with these, are they pretty durable? And is the process of installing them fairly straightforward? Is it worth installing them?
Old 07-29-20, 08:21 AM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I have tried a few different kinds of these LED strips. Some tend to break very very easily, some are slightly more robust but none of them are as bendy or as strong as they make them seem, especially if you are talking about sequential LED's. The series versions are a lot stronger.
If you decide to install the Sequential version of these remember to be very careful and do not bend unless you absolutely have to and do it carefully.

As for if they are worth it depends on what you want and how hard you are willing to work to get it. I love my sequential turn signals on my car and like being different and unique from most other cars on the road.

Old 07-29-20, 09:41 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by B00M3R
I have tried a few different kinds of these LED strips. Some tend to break very very easily, some are slightly more robust but none of them are as bendy or as strong as they make them seem, especially if you are talking about sequential LED's. The series versions are a lot stronger.
If you decide to install the Sequential version of these remember to be very careful and do not bend unless you absolutely have to and do it carefully.

As for if they are worth it depends on what you want and how hard you are willing to work to get it. I love my sequential turn signals on my car and like being different and unique from most other cars on the road.

What relay are you using for the flasher? Funny thing I was watching McLaren P1 videos earlier today. It gave me the idea to make my side mirror, and front turn signal a little faster blinking rate. Did you use a speed adjustment relay?

Old 07-29-20, 10:36 PM
yakwtfgelo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B00M3R

Where did you get yours from? And was the wiring process difficult?
Old 07-30-20, 01:33 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

The flaher relay i used is just a Smart tap version. When you go to LED you have to swap out the relay to one that wont hyper flash. Your normal relay will flash fast because it doesn't see the resistance of a bulb in line and thinks the turn signal bulbs are blown.
I have a normal flasher that I bought that fixes this but isn't as programmable as the smart tap if anyone is interested i will sell it cheaper than you can get online.
otherwise you can go here for the relay.
It makes it so you can tap once for a programmable amount of flashes and also you can change the flash pattern of the hazard lights. This is just my hazard lights flashing a double flash. It has a few really cool features if you want some customization options.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/smartt...-is-sedan.html

I got my LED's from Retrofit source and custom wired everything. removed out the original LED's and repined the connections to be stock on the car side and custom on the light side.
If someone is interested I can make a post with more details. It is quite involved and took me a few weeks to get everything working correctly and how I wanted it.

The following 2 users liked this post by B00M3R:
2013FSport (08-04-20), MikeFig82 (07-30-20)