IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nissan Altima drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 10:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts
Default Nissan Altima drivers

I'm just curious, but is it just me that notices this or are people who drive Nissan Altima's a bunch of jerks? Yes, I've run into jerks that drive BMW's, Mercedes, Camry's, Corollas etc. but practically every one I have run into that drives Nissan Altima's (especially those that drive the 2.5L) are impatient, tailgate, or become speed racer when behind me or next to me. Here are some recent examples:

I was on my way back from a trip from Southern Cal driving a two lane hwy (Interstate 5), the person in front of me is driving an Altima driving slow in the left lane. As soon as I get a chance I changed into the right lane and began to pass the Altima. The driver suddenly doesn't want me to pass and floors it trying to prevent me from getting back in the left lane. The tiny little engine is just no match for my 3.5L, I easily pass him and get back into the left lane before hitting traffic that is in the right lane. I left him so far behind he became a spec in my rear view mirror. He suddenly he wants to drive fast, catches up to me and starts to tailgate me flashing his high beams (I'm going about 80 mph). He than floors it and passes me giving me the finger as he passes. I'm not into revenge or being a jerk, so I just let him pass, waving at him as he does.

I'm getting on the freeway on ramp, next to me is a guy in a red Nissan Altima Sport. He tries to pass me before the lane merges into one lane, but is not fast enough so begins to dangerously tailgate me. I decide to floor it and leave him so far behind he disappears. After a few minutes I see a red car in my rear view mirror, it shoots by like a rocket probably hitting 90 mph. He looks at me triumphant as he passes me at high speed

Yesterday I'm coming home from work, a guy (pattern here) in a blue Nissan Altima is whizzing around cars driving at high speeds, even though there are lots of traffic lights. He was previously behind me but dangerously changes lanes and is now next to me at the stop light. He looks over at me and grabs his steering wheel with two hands. I sigh and decide when the light turns green to step on it, and he is left way behind, he might as well have been riding a bike. I than slow down back to the speed limit and he shoots past me going at least 2x the speed limit.

I have numerous stories just like these ones. As I mentioned, I have encountered all kinds of jerks driving various types of cars, but almost every single time I encounter someone driving a Nissan Altima 4 door Sedan they seem to drive like maniacs, be rude on the road and want to race. Is it just me that notices this, or am I just imagining it? Anyway, not offence to Nissan Altima drivers
Old 07-31-20, 12:03 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Altimas are very prevalent in the car rental business. Chances are, unless it looked like someone actually owned it (bumper stickers, older model) it might have been someone from out of state or on vacation, etc. When you factor in driving a rental, being from out of town, impatient trying to get some place... it's a common recipe for road-rage.

That said, yes, I've noticed that too. But the same could be said for almost every Camaro driver, even base mustangs nowadays are pretty fast, so them too.
The following 2 users liked this post by lockedlex:
AMIRZA786 (07-31-20), ncatona (08-02-20)
Old 08-01-20, 11:33 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

In these parts it's the Jeep drivers who think they own the road, tailgate, cut off, brake check. Genuinely drive like @sshats.

Now if I were to be naughty:
Prius drivers need no mirrors as they never use them, putter in the left lane and pacing the center lane completely oblivious to all things around them. Always two hands on the wheel and the center mirror directed at their face vs the outside world.
Oddly enough the go anywhere Subaru crowd has a high percentage of drivers in that ^^ same bucket. So excited to get somewhere, clueless to the fact there is world around them. They also plug the left lane and never look at surroundings.

I'd like to do a study!!! lol then again, I've ridden 40,000 miles on a sport bike with no downs so I'll say that I pay attention to people and the surroundings.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (08-01-20), bbaugher47 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 01:17 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Yes , Prius drivers are the worst. And I’ve noticed things with Nissan drivers as well. Not the brightest bunch of people drive them.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbaugher47:
2013FSport (08-01-20), AMIRZA786 (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 03:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
In these parts it's the Jeep drivers who think they own the road, tailgate, cut off, brake check. Genuinely drive like @sshats.

Now if I were to be naughty:
Prius drivers need no mirrors as they never use them, putter in the left lane and pacing the center lane completely oblivious to all things around them. Always two hands on the wheel and the center mirror directed at their face vs the outside world.
Oddly enough the go anywhere Subaru crowd has a high percentage of drivers in that ^^ same bucket. So excited to get somewhere, clueless to the fact there is world around them. They also plug the left lane and never look at surroundings.

I'd like to do a study!!! lol then again, I've ridden 40,000 miles on a sport bike with no downs so I'll say that I pay attention to people and the surroundings.
Haha forgot about Prius drivers. They are generally clueless to the world around them and drive slow in the left lane. But Altima drivers are still worse
Old 08-01-20, 09:42 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (08-01-20)
Old 08-02-20, 08:33 AM
CanadaL350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OMG I WAS THINKING THIS THE OTHER DAY.

let me paint you a picture of your Altima driver.

Female, greasy hair, wearing a dirty zip up hoodie. Smoking a cigarette with a child in the back. Blasting music. Eating chips and drinking a monster energy drink. Tires are bald, oil has never been changed. Swerving lanes and giving people the finger.
​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by CanadaL350:
AMIRZA786 (08-02-20), ncatona (08-02-20)
Old 08-02-20, 10:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CanadaL350
OMG I WAS THINKING THIS THE OTHER DAY.

let me paint you a picture of your Altima driver.

Female, greasy hair, wearing a dirty zip up hoodie. Smoking a cigarette with a child in the back. Blasting music. Eating chips and drinking a monster energy drink. Tires are bald, oil has never been changed. Swerving lanes and giving people the finger.
​​​​
Haha that's a new one I haven't seen yet, at least driving an Altima! My experience has been young males driving an older 2.5L Sedan. They probably fit the same category as your female driver though, some probably even have the child seat in the back!
Old 08-03-20, 08:44 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Here in SC it's open game; anyone driving anything will be a *******. Over the weekend it was a Buick Enclave for me. Two cars in front of me and me bringing up the rear merging onto the highway ABOVE the posted 60mph speed limit by going IDK, 70 maybe. Very shortly after merging I find this Buick sniff'n my farts in the slow lane. I immediately gunned it into the middle lane and then immediately slowed to the rate of traffic. I glance over to where I expected the Buick owner to be (in the slow lane), but to my amazement, they were flying up the emergency shoulder passing everyone on the right making their own personal lane. Of course this was kicking up dust/dirt/debris the entire time. I can only hope they caught something in their tire for that blatant disregard for anyone else's safety and their own on the road.
Old 08-03-20, 09:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Here in SC it's open game; anyone driving anything will be a *******. Over the weekend it was a Buick Enclave for me. Two cars in front of me and me bringing up the rear merging onto the highway ABOVE the posted 60mph speed limit by going IDK, 70 maybe. Very shortly after merging I find this Buick sniff'n my farts in the slow lane. I immediately gunned it into the middle lane and then immediately slowed to the rate of traffic. I glance over to where I expected the Buick owner to be (in the slow lane), but to my amazement, they were flying up the emergency shoulder passing everyone on the right making their own personal lane. Of course this was kicking up dust/dirt/debris the entire time. I can only hope they caught something in their tire for that blatant disregard for anyone else's safety and their own on the road.
Well I would say the worst drivers are here in Northern California. I grew up in Los Angeles where people drive like maniacs (we invented "Road Rage"), but there are at least un-written rules people follow, like driving like a maniac in the left lane and staying out of their way by moving to the right, and in most cases it all works out. Of course when police chases happen, which are frequent, all bets are off. In Northern California, people drive not only bad, but excruciatingly slow. Like 50 MPH in the left lane. and 49 in the right lane (people will also stop on the freeway, and brake at every curve in the road like they are in the mountains). You can't get around them because even if you change into the right lane, your stuck behind another slower driver. And for some reason a slower driver will change into the left lane going 50 while you are going 70 without looking in the mirror or over their shoulder. I can't tell you how many times I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting them. The funniest thing is most drivers here won't even make eye contact with you and keep driving like you don't exist. And most traffic jams here are not actually caused by traffic but, by slow drivers holding up miles of cars. And last thing, they could be driving a $100K car that does 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and they will still drive it slow.

People who live here in the Bay area know exactly what I'm talking about