IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TIRE Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20 | 01:45 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Default TIRE Rack

Anyone have any experience buying wheels from TireRack.com?

I'm just trying not to get scratched up wheels once they arrive.
Old 08-24-20 | 02:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFig82

Yep. Last September I bought a set of Michelin Pilot AS, they were much cheaper than all the retailers like Costco, America's tires etc. They shipped overnight to my mechanic who balanced and installed them. The only problem was that they were wrapped so tight that he could not balance them correctly, so we had to have them sit a few days so they would loosen up. Even then he had to rebalance them twice. Other than that, it was a great experience
Old 08-24-20 | 02:18 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yep. Last September I bought a set of Michelin Pilot AS, they were much cheaper than all the retailers like Costco, America's tires etc. They shipped overnight to my mechanic who balanced and installed them. The only problem was that they were wrapped so tight that he could not balance them correctly, so we had to have them sit a few days so they would loosen up. Even then he had to rebalance them twice. Other than that, it was a great experience
LOL Well if I buy a wheel set from them. I hope they over pack the wheels to protect them.
Old 08-24-20 | 02:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

LOL Well if I buy a wheel set from them. I hope they over pack the wheels to protect them.
Oh they will. Also, they include hazard insurance as part of the price (on tires that is) where other shops have it as an add on price. If you include the hazard insurance that is included, I saved $70 a tire
The following users liked this post:
MikeFig82 (08-24-20)
Old 08-25-20 | 10:15 AM
TopNotchIN
Driver

TireRack isn't too far from me. If you have any issues, I may be able to help out. My experience from them has been good though. The staff is nice and professional. I've been back in their warehouse and service shop before. There's always a ton of nice cars there. I remember them testing tires on some Maserati GTs during the late winter time. There were about 8 of them with NJ dealer plates. The guy actually took me for a spin even though I'm sure he would have gotten a lot of heat for it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TopNotchIN:
AMIRZA786 (08-25-20), MikeFig82 (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20 | 10:50 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

In three years I've done a 30mm rash to each front wheel. However Less Schwab and discount tire made my work look like childs play and both refuse to take responsibility even with before hand pictures.

Clearly I need to be an A S S Hole and drag the manager out there, take pictures with there face at the wheel and make them accountable. I'm sick of the name brands wrecking my stuff so I feel your pain.

Not to mention LS charges to remove the sensors, use a new install kit for sensors, Supposedly so they WOULD GRIP the back of the wheel but they never do. Always four little grip marks and missing paint, followed by finger pointing. Sigh...
Old 08-25-20 | 11:06 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Well I won't know anytime soon. I canceled the order this morning after getting an email that the wheels are on backorder. My goal was to at least have them this weekend as they showed in stock on their website. That was my mistake of making the assumption. Like they say nothing ever goes without a hitch.

Any how I'll eventually get around to it again. For now I'm just getting a new set of tires 245/40/17. To whether out Hurricane Laura in the mean time new tires with curbed rashed stock wheels. The previous owner really did a number on them. Then I did one myself over the weekend entering my neighborhood street. That was the straw that broke the camels hump.
Old 08-25-20 | 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
In three years I've done a 30mm rash to each front wheel. However Less Schwab and discount tire made my work look like childs play and both refuse to take responsibility even with before hand pictures.

Clearly I need to be an A S S Hole and drag the manager out there, take pictures with there face at the wheel and make them accountable. I'm sick of the name brands wrecking my stuff so I feel your pain.

Not to mention LS charges to remove the sensors, use a new install kit for sensors, Supposedly so they WOULD GRIP the back of the wheel but they never do. Always four little grip marks and missing paint, followed by finger pointing. Sigh...
Well that sucks...
Old 08-25-20 | 04:41 PM
bbaugher47

I’ve used Simpletire.com and they’re great.
MikeFig82 (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 09:10 AM
Gville350

I purchase from whatever website is selling the SAME tires for the cheapest price. I've never been burnt and all tires are arrived in perfect condition. With that being said, I have purchased tires from Tirerack, even before they instituted free shipping on many orders. But I've never had any issues with their products/shipments, so I've never had to deal with their customer service dept. But being such a large company and a near-industry standard for tires online sales, I'd say they've got warehousing, packaging, and shipping buttoned up tight. I'd personally not worry about spending thousands with them and worry about product damages. If any arise, I'm sure they'd work with you on a quick resolution.
MikeFig82 (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 11:12 AM
B00M3R
Driver

I have ordered though Tirerack.com a few times now. And I have dealt with customer service when I tried to fit a 235 wide tire on the front of my IS350, They worked with me and got me the correct size free of charge even though it was my fault for thinking I could make it work. Shipping was free and service was top notch when I worked with them oct of last year.
MikeFig82 (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 07:20 PM
J2FUEGO
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have bought two sets of wheels from TireRack & multiple sets of tires.

The way they ship the wheels is, on BOTH sides, they place that soft material around the wheel & cut cardboard in the shape of the wheel & ziptie it all together very tightly. I've never seen any damage or imperfections from craftsmanship in the wheels I have bought. They leave the hardware (lug nuts/mounting rings) taped on the inside of one the wheels. Their customer service is great! On orders where you are buying wheels & tires, a customer service rep usually calls & follows up to see if you would like them mounted & balance & if you have any concerns, verifies address, etc.

And their "cheap" tires are still better than what I used to buy at my local tire shop. Their cheap Sumitomo tires A/S have got me through blizzards & heavy snow every year here in CO. And I have a RWD 250.. LOL

Best of luck.