IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A/C blower motor wiring help - I think my fan turns in the wrong direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 03:23 PM
wiseguy75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C blower motor wiring help - I think my fan turns in the wrong direction

I have a 09 Lexus IS350 that needed a new heater blower motor.
I found a used one and installed it. Fans spins but no air blows out the vents.

I now realize it spins in the wrong direction - Well actually I just figure out it is from a Japanese model, right hand drive (we have a ton of these RHD IS250's here). It fits and it spins so I thought it was the same part

The fan spins (clock-wise), anyone know how to get it to spin the opposite direction?
I already tried switching the pos + neg wires but big spark but doesn't spin at all.

I hear the fan - and it increases and decreases speed correctly but no air comes out of my vents on any setting.

I installed another blower motor from another car - and when the fan turns clock-wise, no air comes out of the ducts

But when I reverse the (pos + neg) wires - then the air blows out of the vents! (I thought I figured it out)

So I tried reversing the pos + neg wires on the Lexus blower motor I bought, and the thing sparked but noting.

Actually thought I blew it, but it still works - just apparently in the wrong direction.

Can anyone answer any of these questions...

1- Can anyone confirm if the blower motor fan should be turning in the clock-wise or counter clock-wise direction?
2- Anyone have any idea what I can do to make the fan turn in the counter clock-wise direction?
3- Can anyone confirm how to wire up the 3 wires correctly? There was no plug like you guys, so I had to figure out the wiring.

The below pic is my new blower motor

(I got the below pic from Ebay - just for reference) - And I just realized now looking at the pic that mine is different from the below one and so mine must be for a Japan right handle drive model (mine is a LHD but there are so many right hand drives on the island)

Last edited by wiseguy75; 08-26-20 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 09:45 PM
BabyGate
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The blower motor turns clockwise. The motor isn't spinning in the wrong direction in your case. It is just the RHD motor is blowing air at the opposite direction, away from the A/C box, when you installed it in a LHD car. You are better off just source the right blower motor for LHD.

There are 3 wires and order of the wire is the same for both RHD and LHD; 1-White/Black is GND, 2-white (middle) is signal wire from A/C Amp, 3-Blue is +12. I don't think you can make the motor spin opposite by just switching the polarity for the IS250 blower motor.

By the way, how it is even possible for you to connect the blower motor harness to the motor with the RHD motor in a LHD? Yes, it will fix, but the RHD motor's plug will be on the inside facing the firewall and the vent duct.
The following users liked this post:
wiseguy75 (08-29-20)
Old 08-29-20, 01:35 PM
wiseguy75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@BabyGate - Thanks for all the helpful details. I am not sure how you know all that, but much appreciated.

One more question. I see on the wiring harness, on one end is 3 wires and it looks like only 2 wires on the other end. Is this correct?

Either way, your detail should help me with another blower motor I have - which I can get to spin the other way by reversing the pos + neg wires. I just need to figure out how to connect the middle 'signal' wire - otherwise it just spins on full blast. This other motor doesn't fit perfectly, but it could give me some A/C until I get the correct one imported.

To answer your question - my motor didn't come with the wiring harness, nor was it present in the car, so I am attaching the wires with little connectors to the motor. You can see it in the top pic, which is my motor. So no problems getting it in there.

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-20, 02:48 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,268 Posts

What if you swap the squirrel cage. Do the vanes of original blower cage point the same direction as the replacement cage? I bet they don't. Take a look.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 08-31-20 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Frankn (02-10-22)