IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taking home a 2012 IS250 Friday(pics). Best ways to eliminate/reduce carbon build up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 05:03 PM
Mhrob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking home a 2012 IS250 Friday(pics). Best ways to eliminate/reduce carbon build up?

My first financed car. Will be starting FT as an engineer on Monday Want to build up my credit with a RELIABLE car that won’t **** on me before I pay it off. 36 month finance for the sale price with 4.5K down:

https://www.erhardbmw.com/used-Bloom...rader_listings

I was looking at a Lincoln MKZ and some Ford Flexs, but after discovering how terrible the 2.0 and 3.5 EcoBoosts are.....I went a different direction. I had a Toyota as a beater for work and the thing just wouldn’t die so that made me a Toyota believer like many others. I feel somewhat at ease that I only found 3 common issues that seem to be talked about on here (brake dust, dashboard noise, carbon build up) but I am most concerned with the carbon build up. I did see a lot of people on here saying with regular synthetic oil changes and premium fuel, this should be a non issue....especially for the late 2nd gen engines which have a better piston ring design. Is this all true, what I’ve said? Any other recommendations to keep her living long? Regular tune ups? Never owned a Lexus or a nice car like this so I’m new. I’m just really cautious with my money and I’m looking for any advice or good tips to make sure my investment lasts long. She has absolutely zero body damage. No scratches, dents....I couldn’t even find a paint chip. Undercoating and everything. A beautiful car inside and out. The Carfax DID concern me a bit (5 owners and only 87k miles) but 1 was only a dealer and one was a certified used-lease (didn’t even know you could do that) that only lasted 957 miles. So really 3 owners. Here it is if anyone wants to look and assure me I’m seeing this correctly : https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=DON_0

ANY advice or comments are appreciated. I’m sure I’ll be on here a lot from now on. Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Mhrob; 08-26-20 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 08:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Mhrob
My first financed car. Will be starting FT as an engineer on Monday Want to build up my credit with a RELIABLE car that won’t **** on me before I pay it off. 36 month finance for the sale price with 4.5K down:

https://www.erhardbmw.com/used-Bloom...rader_listings

I was looking at a Lincoln MKZ and some Ford Flexs, but after discovering how terrible the 2.0 and 3.5 EcoBoosts are.....I went a different direction. I had a Toyota as a beater for work and the thing just wouldn’t die so that made me a Toyota believer like many others. I feel somewhat at ease that I only found 3 common issues that seem to be talked about on here (brake dust, dashboard noise, carbon build up) but I am most concerned with the carbon build up. I did see a lot of people on here saying with regular synthetic oil changes and premium fuel, this should be a non issue....especially for the late 2nd gen engines which have a better piston ring design. Is this all true, what I’ve said? Any other recommendations to keep her living long? Regular tune ups? Never owned a Lexus or a nice car like this so I’m new. I’m just really cautious with my money and I’m looking for any advice or good tips to make sure my investment lasts long. She has absolutely zero body damage. No scratches, dents....I couldn’t even find a paint chip. Undercoating and everything. A beautiful car inside and out. The Carfax DID concern me a bit (5 owners and only 87k miles) but 1 was only a dealer and one was a certified used-lease (didn’t even know you could do that) that only lasted 957 miles. So really 3 owners. Here it is if anyone wants to look and assure me I’m seeing this correctly : https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=DON_0

ANY advice or comments are appreciated. I’m sure I’ll be on here a lot from now on. Thanks guys!!
Haha your Lexus is still a baby (as far as mileage). Many years to go as long as it was regularly maintained. I own a 2010 IS350 Sport, so those that own an IS250 can give you advice on carbon issues, but I think by 2012 they learned more how to deal with it. My coworker has a 2008 with lots of miles on it and in the 8 years she owned it has never had any issues. Just keep it regularly maintained, every oil change use a good fuel injector cleaner like Chevron fuel injection cleaner (pour it in the tank and drive till almost empty) and do some Italian tune up's every now and then!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-26-20 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 08:10 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

All I'd say is drive it often and drive it hard when able.
Old 08-27-20, 09:31 AM
cyphur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Gville350 said for the win.

I have 2007 with 184,000 and counting....run the rpms up whenever possible....mine did not stutter until about 155,000 miles. then i went on youtube and found chrisfix video about seamfoaming. Run it, changed the plugs, and Italian tune (WOT). The only other issues is my exhaust has a couple of leaks that i patched but after 13 plus years in Maryland weather it is what it is.