IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

crank no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 03:25 PM
Intheworks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crank no fuel

i have an 07 is250. only mechanical mods are exhaust and a cai. the check engine light was already on from an o2 sensor that needed replaced so i cant say if this threw a code. now, I was driving back home on a 10 hour drive. about 7 1/2 hours in, the car died without warning. all the electronics still worked correctly. I started to pull onto the shoulder and the car cranked back up so I continued on and planned on looking into it when I got home. after that, the car showed no signs of any issues at all, rather it drove perfectly normal. about 30 minutes later (around 85mph) the car died again. I pulled over and the car would not start back up. towed the car home for diagnosis. the car cracks perfectly normal with no signs of mechanical issues. I tried to read the codes, but my buddies code reader wasn't pulling any codes (could be communication or an issue with his scanner) things I've checked: -fuel pump is running and building pressure (I dont know what psi because I dont have any adapters for a fuel guage. I checked by pulling hoses off the pump, reinstalling, cranking, and pulling them again) -bright spark along with new plugs -battery cables are tight and non corroded -battery is on a battery tender currently -all fuses on passenger and driver side under hood have been checked -maf is clean -sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and it started -pulled the fuel pressure sensor plug and tried to crank -cut the green wire on the plug in the box and tried to crank (soldered back together) -wires added by myself have been removed from power as a peace of mind
thoughts on where to go from here?
Old 09-30-20, 10:26 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Intheworks
i have an 07 is250. only mechanical mods are exhaust and a cai. the check engine light was already on from an o2 sensor that needed replaced so i cant say if this threw a code. now, I was driving back home on a 10 hour drive. about 7 1/2 hours in, the car died without warning. all the electronics still worked correctly. I started to pull onto the shoulder and the car cranked back up so I continued on and planned on looking into it when I got home. after that, the car showed no signs of any issues at all, rather it drove perfectly normal. about 30 minutes later (around 85mph) the car died again. I pulled over and the car would not start back up. towed the car home for diagnosis. the car cracks perfectly normal with no signs of mechanical issues. I tried to read the codes, but my buddies code reader wasn't pulling any codes (could be communication or an issue with his scanner) things I've checked: -fuel pump is running and building pressure (I dont know what psi because I dont have any adapters for a fuel guage. I checked by pulling hoses off the pump, reinstalling, cranking, and pulling them again) -bright spark along with new plugs -battery cables are tight and non corroded -battery is on a battery tender currently -all fuses on passenger and driver side under hood have been checked -maf is clean -sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and it started -pulled the fuel pressure sensor plug and tried to crank -cut the green wire on the plug in the box and tried to crank (soldered back together) -wires added by myself have been removed from power as a peace of mind
thoughts on where to go from here?
Possibly a defective fuel pump or fuel pressure sensor? Believe Lexus has a recall regarding that. Enter your VIN to confirm any outstanding recalls here;
Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns
Old 10-19-20, 04:15 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Intheworks, interested if you've since confirmed what was causing your issue.
Old 10-19-20, 07:49 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,271 Posts

130k mi, and running at speed, suspect fuel pump strainer is plugged. I'd start with a pump and strainer. PS - pressure and volume are two different things. It may have pressure. But if there is no volume from a plugged strainer, all bets are off. That said you really need a gage on it. Too low of pressure starves the HPFP and it won't run. At least you have peace of mind knowing its the fuel system, well, based on starting spray test. Replace them plugs ASAP!