IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My next upgrade...GROM VLINE VL2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 11:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
That's what I did when I had it. I made a small cut in the cover so I could get the displayport cable through. I ended up returning mine since it kept randomly black screening or just not loading at all.
I was talking to a guy who has had his since April, he was having a similar issue and he told me the latest update fixes it. It took me almost 3 weeks to get mine, so I'm thinking that they had a lot of RMA replacement orders to get out. Hopefully my unit has the latest updates and I won't have any problems. Crossing my fingers...
Old 10-31-20, 11:53 AM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I just got my Vline a few days ago and installed it today. I don't know of anyone else has had this exact problem, but it seems to start up (lights inside unit are on), but the AUX screen just stays on the factory screen and says "connected." My car is a 2013, and the unit they sent had instructions that were clearly for 2014+ (3rd Gen). The wiring all seemed correct though. I did explain to them that my car was a 2013 2nd Gen when they said that this unit would work for me. Anyone know if I'm being stupid and missing something?

\
Old 10-31-20, 12:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SmedIS350
Guys, I just got my Vline a few days ago and installed it today. I don't know of anyone else has had this exact problem, but it seems to start up (lights inside unit are on), but the AUX screen just stays on the factory screen and says "connected." My car is a 2013, and the unit they sent had instructions that were clearly for 2014+ (3rd Gen). The wiring all seemed correct though. I did explain to them that my car was a 2013 2nd Gen when they said that this unit would work for me. Anyone know if I'm being stupid and missing something?

\
Im installing mine this coming Wednesday, hopefully I don't run into the issue you are having. If you come up with a solution please post
Old 10-31-20, 12:59 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

I will.

FYI - I ordered this unit in September, and every week or so I was getting the "it'll ship next week" speech. When they finally shipped it, it didn't really ship. They just printed the shipping label and sat on it for another week until I called them and was told that it physically left the building that day (hell of a coincidence). So far, my experience with Grom Audio has been less than stellar. Now I don't want to put my car back together in case I have to pull everything back out. So, this pretty much sucks.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (10-31-20)
Old 10-31-20, 02:33 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Two years ago when I got mine I had similar issues with shipping. It was this time of year though and i expect that they get a bit swamped for christmas.
or they have problems in there shipping deptment getting them out. I think its well worth the wait and is a good hi quality part.

As for the no screen problem above, I would double and triple check all your wires. Also get it on and give it some time to configure itself. Seems like mine took a while to boot and work properly. Also get it connected and download the latest firmware and software updates soon as you can.
Old 10-31-20, 03:32 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B00M3R
Two years ago when I got mine I had similar issues with shipping. It was this time of year though and i expect that they get a bit swamped for christmas.
or they have problems in there shipping deptment getting them out. I think its well worth the wait and is a good hi quality part.

As for the no screen problem above, I would double and triple check all your wires. Also get it on and give it some time to configure itself. Seems like mine took a while to boot and work properly. Also get it connected and download the latest firmware and software updates soon as you can.
The first thing I did was check all the wires (unplug and re-plug), but there wasn't much to check since the install was pretty straight forward. I opened up a flap/hole in the top of the glove box plastic cover, so no wire kinks or anything. I also left it on for quite a while with no change. I even just drove the car with it installed for about 30 minutes. The AUX tab is highlighted when you're not on it, and it still shows connected, but I never get a boot screen. I have a ticket open with Grom and added my picture, so hopefully I'll hear something on Monday. I saw that I could flash the firmware, but I thought I should wait until they tell me to do that just in case. I will definitely post the outcome.

Oh, the reason for most of the delay was they were backordered, and then when they got them, they didn't get enough, and had to have another batch shipped. That's what I was told on the phone. I contacted them A LOT based on each deadline they gave me. Trust me, they didn't handle customer expectations well. Let's see how they handle this issue now. This thing isn't exactly cheap.
Old 10-31-20, 05:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I will.

FYI - I ordered this unit in September, and every week or so I was getting the "it'll ship next week" speech. When they finally shipped it, it didn't really ship. They just printed the shipping label and sat on it for another week until I called them and was told that it physically left the building that day (hell of a coincidence). So far, my experience with Grom Audio has been less than stellar. Now I don't want to put my car back together in case I have to pull everything back out. So, this pretty much sucks.
Same issue with me, they printed the shipping label and sent me the tracking number to shut me up but didn't actually ship the product for three weeks. They kept telling me "it's going out today" everytime I contacted them. If they just told me it's on backorder I would've understood.

That being said, I hope it just works because it's going to be a lot of work getting it installed, although swapping the unit should be easy if it's defective as it will be in the glove box
Old 11-01-20, 09:49 AM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

So, I start the car today, and I'm greeted with this screen...

I thought "great, now it's working" and then tried to click the "Agree" button. Nothing. It doesn't recognize me touching anywhere on the screen. I tried clicking the manual buttons for other car functions (Map, Climate, etc.), and none of them worked. I turned car off, and back on, and I was back to the standard Lexus "AUX" screen and everything else worked.

FYI - I found that if you unplug any of the wires from the unit, you won't be able to use your screen. So, if the unit needs to be returned, everything will have to be disassembled and wires plugged back in their original sockets. I still have my vents loose and ashtray removed so that I can do this if needed, which I suspect will happen.
Old 11-02-20, 03:03 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

So, this is the response I got from Grom.

"For your stereo you need another product LEX7T.
We will need to send you the proper harness and you will need to update firmware.
Let me know what address we should use to send the harness."

Just for some background information so no one thinks I ordered the wrong unit, I had emailed them this on Sept 7th:

"I have a 2013 Lexus IS350 (with Nav), and I know that you list SKU LEX7VL2 as compatible. The 2013 IS 250/350 model was the last year of the 2nd Generation IS, and one of your pictures on the LEX7VL2 product page shows the dash from a 3rd Gen IS (2014+) model. I just want to make absolutely sure that LEX7VL2 will work with my car. Thank you."

Any the response:

"YES! This is the kit you would need: https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html"

When I also asked about availability, I was told on Sept 9th that:

"We will begin to ship these this week. If you ordered this week it will more than likely go out beginning of next week!"

But then I didn't actually get it until Oct 29th. I guess it pays to be the only game in town so Customer Service doesn't matter too much.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmedIS350:
AMIRZA786 (11-02-20), GrizzlyMan (04-01-21)
Old 11-02-20, 03:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So, this is the response I got from Grom.

"For your stereo you need another product LEX7T.
We will need to send you the proper harness and you will need to update firmware.
Let me know what address we should use to send the harness."

Just for some background information so no one thinks I ordered the wrong unit, I had emailed them this on Sept 7th:

"I have a 2013 Lexus IS350 (with Nav), and I know that you list SKU LEX7VL2 as compatible. The 2013 IS 250/350 model was the last year of the 2nd Generation IS, and one of your pictures on the LEX7VL2 product page shows the dash from a 3rd Gen IS (2014+) model. I just want to make absolutely sure that LEX7VL2 will work with my car. Thank you."

Any the response:

"YES! This is the kit you would need: https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...n-upgrade.html"

When I also asked about availability, I was told on Sept 9th that:

"We will begin to ship these this week. If you ordered this week it will more than likely go out beginning of next week!"

But then I didn't actually get it until Oct 29th. I guess it pays to be the only game in town so Customer Service doesn't matter too much.
Hopefully this takes care of your issues. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have the same issue as you are having
Old 11-02-20, 03:19 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Hopefully this takes care of your issues. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have the same issue as you are having
I'm going to bet you don't since you have a 2010. I keep running into issues with my 2013. Everyone is lumping it in with the 3rd Gen all over the place. I'm guessing 3rd gen was offered for 2013 somewhere in the world?
AMIRZA786 (11-02-20)
Old 11-02-20, 03:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm going to bet you don't since you have a 2010. I keep running into issues with my 2013. Everyone is lumping it in with the 3rd Gen all over the place. I'm guessing 3rd gen was offered for 2013 somewhere in the world?
I'm thinking you are 100 percent correct
Old 11-05-20, 04:58 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

The new wiring harness and the firmware update seemed to solve my issues. The firmware update(s), and then software update, was almost straightforward. I first had to install an old firmware update that I downloaded and put on a flash drive, and then loaded on the unit without the use of a display. Once I was able to get into the software on my screen, I had to enable wi-fi so that I could download and update both the firmware and VLine software. This process was done per their instructions, and everything looked good after that. Then I realized I didn't have the Play Store app which is sort of important. When I followed their instructions to install Gapps which installs the Play Store app, my nice color display reverted back to something that looked like an ancient 16 color display (which is what it looked like after the initial firmware update). So, I just had to sort of start over and install the old firmware, and then update to the newest firmware version and that solved the issue. What a pain. Time will tell if it was worth it.
AMIRZA786 (11-05-20)
Old 11-24-20, 08:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Finally got the GROM VLINE VL2 installed! connected it to the internet and installed the Firmware update as well as the latest software. Installed Google Maps, the unit seems to work fine

My only concern is that the unit seems to stay on after shutting off the ignition. The green lights on the unit are still on. I am hoping that it is not drawing enough power to drain my battery:

@SmedIS350 is your unit staying on as well? Are the green lights staying on your unit? I've contacted GROM support to see if this is something that is expected. Anyway, I will report more on how well it works over the next few days of use
2013FSport (12-08-20)
Old 11-24-20, 09:45 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Finally got the GROM VLINE VL2 installed! connected it to the internet and installed the Firmware update as well as the latest software. Installed Google Maps, the unit seems to work fine

My only concern is that the unit seems to stay on after shutting off the ignition. The green lights on the unit are still on. I am hoping that it is not drawing enough power to drain my battery:

@SmedIS350 is your unit staying on as well? Are the green lights staying on your unit? I've contacted GROM support to see if this is something that is expected. Anyway, I will report more on how well it works over the next few days of use
Yes, it does seem to stay on for quite some time. I'm not actually sure if it ever goes off or into a sleep mode. I just checked now, and it's still on and I last drove the car about 7 hour ago. I've not had any battery issues because of it though.

The system mostly seems to work ok. Are you experiencing any bugs? I've seen a few. The most annoying one I have is the screen brightness. If the head lights are on, it dims like you'd expect, but if you put the car in reverse, and then back into drive, the screen goes daylight bright again. You have to turn headlights off/on again to dim the screen. All tech support could offer is that it's not something they've heard of and I should make sure all connections are tight. No help there. I've also had some issues moving between car functions (like climate control) and Vline. Sometimes nothing happens when I hit the physical buttons. Also, my steering wheel "next track" buttons don't work with bluetooth. Tech support did acknowledge this was an issue they were working on. Using a USB flash drive loaded with music and the "Local Music" app fixes this issue in the meantime.

I think the best thing I got out of using Vline was being able to hook up a front camera. I really wanted this so I wouldn't scrape my bumper while parking. For the price though, I would have expected this to be more polished.

Quick Reply: My next upgrade...GROM VLINE VL2