IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My next upgrade...GROM VLINE VL2

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 05:41 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Great write-ups! I'm reviving this thread as I just picked up a 2008 IS F and I'm very interested in this unit. Any updates you can provide?
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-09-21)
Old 05-09-21, 08:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
Great write-ups! I'm reviving this thread as I just picked up a 2008 IS F and I'm very interested in this unit. Any updates you can provide?
Thanks for reading my thread on this. All I can really add is it's been an awesome upgrade to this point. I would do it again if I bought another IS that needed Google Maps and Android Auto functionality
Old 05-18-21, 12:06 PM
kaybabs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Thanks for reading my thread on this. All I can really add is it's been an awesome upgrade to this point. I would do it again if I bought another IS that needed Google Maps and Android Auto functionality
I just ordered the system for my Lexus ES350 2009.

who has use this units with Lexus ES 2007-2009 . Tell me your experience
AMIRZA786 (05-18-21)
Old 05-19-21, 06:49 AM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I still have a lovehate/hate relationship with my system. Of course, it's probably because I was sent the wrong one that's been patched to "mostly" work with my 2nd gen 2013. After my last post where the major issues were resolved, I still had one little problem. Almost every time I start my car, within a few minutes, the sound cuts off. I have to toggle out of AUX and back in to get the sound to come back on, and then it seems to be fine from then on. Their tech support wants me to send them a video, but since it's random and I can't reproduce exactly when it happens, it's been a pain. It never seems to happen if I just sit there idling. Taking video when I'm driving isn't really a great option. A video also wouldn't show anything as nothing on the screen changes.

I've been living with this issue, but this morning I ran into a new one. I started the car and I was greeted with a blank black screen. Tried everything and couldn't get a display. I was forced to just toggle out of AUX and use the factory screens. I'm hoping when I try it later it will come back on. If I had known I would have had all these issues before I got it, I wouldn't have. This has been the absolute worst "upgrade" I've ever added to ANY car I've owned (and I'm kind of old, so there's been quite a few).
AMIRZA786 (05-19-21)
Old 05-19-21, 07:03 AM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SmedIS350
Well, I still have a lovehate/hate relationship with my system. Of course, it's probably because I was sent the wrong one that's been patched to "mostly" work with my 2nd gen 2013. After my last post where the major issues were resolved, I still had one little problem. Almost every time I start my car, within a few minutes, the sound cuts off. I have to toggle out of AUX and back in to get the sound to come back on, and then it seems to be fine from then on. Their tech support wants me to send them a video, but since it's random and I can't reproduce exactly when it happens, it's been a pain. It never seems to happen if I just sit there idling. Taking video when I'm driving isn't really a great option. A video also wouldn't show anything as nothing on the screen changes.

I've been living with this issue, but this morning I ran into a new one. I started the car and I was greeted with a blank black screen. Tried everything and couldn't get a display. I was forced to just toggle out of AUX and use the factory screens. I'm hoping when I try it later it will come back on. If I had known I would have had all these issues before I got it, I wouldn't have. This has been the absolute worst "upgrade" I've ever added to ANY car I've owned (and I'm kind of old, so there's been quite a few).
I’m going through issues myself. I don’t mind the video because you can show exactly what is happening. But WhatsApp? Really? I’m social media savvy but don’t use WhatsApp. I got it done but told them to consider a Dropbox to upload to.
Old 05-19-21, 08:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I definitely believe your issue stems from being sent a unit that was designed for the 3rd Gen IS Infotainment system. Patching to make it work is like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound, eventually blood is going to seep through. I do have the occasional glitch, but they are rare and resolve themselves. On my last trip to SoCal, which is a 6 hour drive, I streamed to my GROM and used Google Maps with the only drops being when I drove through areas where my mobile signal was weak, but BT never dropped. I would insist they send you the proper model. That should be an easy swap if it uses the same cables
Old 05-19-21, 09:30 AM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

I definitely believe your issue stems from being sent a unit that was designed for the 3rd Gen IS Infotainment system. Patching to make it work is like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound, eventually blood is going to seep through. I do have the occasional glitch, but they are rare and resolve themselves. On my last trip to SoCal, which is a 6 hour drive, I streamed to my GROM and used Google Maps with the only drops being when I drove through areas where my mobile signal was weak, but BT never dropped. I would insist they send you the proper model. That should be an easy swap if it uses the same cables
No matter how many times I've brought up the issue of them, each time I say something like "you sent me the wrong unit, meant for a 3rd gen, the cable you originally sent and instruction/online pictures support this conclusion, etc." they absolutely refuse to respond to it. It's like they just ignore me and tell me to patch it or whatever like I never said it. I've actually been thinking about ordering a unit for a 2012 to swap it out. If it works, the wrong one can go back. if the new one doesn't change anything, then it can go back. I haven't asked yet about their return policy though. I figure no matter what I do, they'll just screw me somehow. I would give anything to have a 2nd option.

I also agree about the Whatsapp requirement for uploading a video. I'd rather use my dropbox and just give them a link. Of course, I haven't been able to get the video yet. It's like their system knows every time I try to record it and is just effin' with me. I wonder if they'll want a video of the new issue! Yeah, here's a video of a blank screen.
Old 05-19-21, 09:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

No matter how many times I've brought up the issue of them, each time I say something like "you sent me the wrong unit, meant for a 3rd gen, the cable you originally sent and instruction/online pictures support this conclusion, etc." they absolutely refuse to respond to it. It's like they just ignore me and tell me to patch it or whatever like I never said it. I've actually been thinking about ordering a unit for a 2012 to swap it out. If it works, the wrong one can go back. if the new one doesn't change anything, then it can go back. I haven't asked yet about their return policy though. I figure no matter what I do, they'll just screw me somehow. I would give anything to have a 2nd option.

I also agree about the Whatsapp requirement for uploading a video. I'd rather use my dropbox and just give them a link. Of course, I haven't been able to get the video yet. It's like their system knows every time I try to record it and is just effin' with me. I wonder if they'll want a video of the new issue! Yeah, here's a video of a blank screen.
I would call them and speak to someone if that's possible. Email it's easy to gloss over the real issue, which I am sure they already know, as they keep sending you patches. I haven't had to install even one, so that should be enough to know that you have the wrong model for your infotainment system
Old 05-19-21, 10:13 AM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

I would call them and speak to someone if that's possible. Email it's easy to gloss over the real issue, which I am sure they already know, as they keep sending you patches. I haven't had to install even one, so that should be enough to know that you have the wrong model for your infotainment system
Done. I was give a new firmware for the LEX6 (I have LEX7) and I had to order a new wiring harness (the 2nd one they sent is a LEX7T). So, I guess the actual box is the same for both 2nd and 3rd gen, just the firmware is different. I also got some other instructions because I'm supposed to disconnect some cables from the Multimedia Module or something like that.
Old 05-19-21, 10:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Done. I was give a new firmware for the LEX6 (I have LEX7) and I had to order a new wiring harness (the 2nd one they sent is a LEX7T). So, I guess the actual box is the same for both 2nd and 3rd gen, just the firmware is different. I also got some other instructions because I'm supposed to disconnect some cables from the Multimedia Module or something like that.
That sounds great! Once you have the correct firmware (if the hardware is the same), than all your issues will go away. It's been very stable for me, I would say 99.9% so far. There is sometimes an issue when unplugging from Android Auto and turning off the car, when the car is turned back on occasionally it will be unresponsive for a few minutes, but I rarely use Android Auto as I mostly use my phone as a hotspot and use the native apps
Old 05-19-21, 10:52 AM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

That sounds great! Once you have the correct firmware (if the hardware is the same), than all your issues will go away. It's been very stable for me, I would say 99.9% so far. There is sometimes an issue when unplugging from Android Auto and turning off the car, when the car is turned back on occasionally it will be unresponsive for a few minutes, but I rarely use Android Auto as I mostly use my phone as a hotspot and use the native apps
Once I get this all switched over, I'll make sure to update this thread. Hopefully it'll be the last time you guys hear me complaining about the Vline.
AMIRZA786 (05-19-21)
Old 05-19-21, 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Once I get this all switched over, I'll make sure to update this thread. Hopefully it'll be the last time you guys hear me complaining about the Vline.
We look forward to your update!
Old 05-22-21, 12:16 PM
SmedIS350
Driver School Candidate

Nope. The new 3rd cable really doesn't appear to belong in my car. The back of my head unit looks very different from the instructions. The 2nd cable they provided does seem to be the correct cable. Maybe the 2013 head unit was the transition to the new 3rd gen models. I'll attach pictures showing the back of my head unit wiring if anyone wants to comment. I did put it back to factory before I took the pictures (and then re-installed the Vline wiring harness).

Old 06-11-21, 02:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

GROM VLINE VL2 is now supporting wireless Android Auto!

Old 06-19-21, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

GROM VLINE VL2 is now supporting wireless Android Auto!

DO NOT INSTALL THE LATEST GROM VLINE VL2 FIRMWARE UPDATE! After installing the latest firmware update to enable wireless Android Auto, my backup Camera no longer works. I have a ticket open with GROM Support. I will update this when they have fixed the issue

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-19-21 at 12:15 PM.
ncatona (06-24-21)

Quick Reply: My next upgrade...GROM VLINE VL2