IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My next upgrade...GROM VLINE VL2

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 02:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by pearsth
This is the one that is supposed to be for my car, unless of course, they labeled it wrong. Disconnected and reconnected at least 10 times.

I would suggest GROM support. I had no issues after installing, so I don't have any other suggestions
Old 02-07-22, 09:26 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Please pm us your email address, we will check to make sure we received your support request.
Old 02-07-22, 10:21 AM
pearsth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I contacted GROM today via their online chat and we walked through troubleshooting steps. Could not get it to work, so they are shipping me a new unit. Bummed it didn't work, but happy with the level of support received. Hopefully next unit works out well.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 10:45 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Thank you for the update!
Old 02-15-22, 01:24 PM
Augster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super cool product! Will definitely be looking into more.
AMIRZA786 (02-15-22)
Old 02-15-22, 01:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Augster
Super cool product! Will definitely be looking into more.
It definitely is. Made my 12 year old infotainment system actually useful
caymandive (06-20-22)
Old 02-19-22, 07:44 AM
pearsth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a follow up, GROM quickly shipped me a new unit and cable. It turned out to be just the cable that was the problem. Everything is working great now. What a great product and great support. So I didn't have to wait to ship the old unit back, they charged my credit card for a replacement and shipped it right away. When I return the old unit I get a refund. More than fair and made it so I didn't have to reassemble everything waiting for all the extra shipping time.

I will say the resistive screen that comes stock on my Lexus takes a little getting used to...have to move slower through the interface than you are used to with a modern capacitive touch phone, but you get used to it and it is great to have a modern head unit in a 15 year old vehicle that retains the full factory look. If I wasn't thinking of upgrading my 2012 Sequoia to the new one, I would probably get a GROM for it as well.

Tom
gromaudio (02-19-22)
Old 02-19-22, 10:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pearsth
As a follow up, GROM quickly shipped me a new unit and cable. It turned out to be just the cable that was the problem. Everything is working great now. What a great product and great support. So I didn't have to wait to ship the old unit back, they charged my credit card for a replacement and shipped it right away. When I return the old unit I get a refund. More than fair and made it so I didn't have to reassemble everything waiting for all the extra shipping time.

I will say the resistive screen that comes stock on my Lexus takes a little getting used to...have to move slower through the interface than you are used to with a modern capacitive touch phone, but you get used to it and it is great to have a modern head unit in a 15 year old vehicle that retains the full factory look. If I wasn't thinking of upgrading my 2012 Sequoia to the new one, I would probably get a GROM for it as well.

Tom
It is a very cool product, now I mainly use Android Auto instead of using my phone as a hotspot
gromaudio (02-19-22)
Old 04-06-22, 09:19 AM
Dave5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Backup camera screen car symbol?

Hey guys, I've actually had my Vline2 for over a year and it's mostly been good. When I installed it though, my factory backup camera had this weird icon appear in the upper-right corner. I assumed it was a Line feature that was basically saying "no other cameras are connected" or something, and have been ignoring it. Today I asked Grom support if there was a way to turn that off, and he said it must be a factory thing. But this only appeared after installing the Vline2. Do you guys have this icon too? Any way in settings to turn it off?

Also, in order for the CarPlay screen to look nice, I need to dial the contrast to full in the factory radio display settings. It seems to stay that way for a while but then I'll notice Maps is washed out a bit and find out the contrast has put itself back to center again. Is there a way to make the Lexus contrast 100%?

​​​​​​​
Old 04-06-22, 09:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave5150
Hey guys, I've actually had my Vline2 for over a year and it's mostly been good. When I installed it though, my factory backup camera had this weird icon appear in the upper-right corner. I assumed it was a Line feature that was basically saying "no other cameras are connected" or something, and have been ignoring it. Today I asked Grom support if there was a way to turn that off, and he said it must be a factory thing. But this only appeared after installing the Vline2. Do you guys have this icon too? Any way in settings to turn it off?

Also, in order for the CarPlay screen to look nice, I need to dial the contrast to full in the factory radio display settings. It seems to stay that way for a while but then I'll notice Maps is washed out a bit and find out the contrast has put itself back to center again. Is there a way to make the Lexus contrast 100%?

I have the same thing show up. It's probably related to parking sensors, which my IS doesn't have. It doesn't bother me so I just ignore it. I use Android Auto and haven't had any issues with contrast. I don't have any experience with Apple CarPlay
Old 04-06-22, 09:55 AM
Dave5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I'm thinking too. Grom support just wrote back that I need to enable park assist... I don't have that either. I went through all settings etc double-checking it. It's definitely a GROM thing though. If I shift into reverse while on the factory radio screen, no icon. But when it's from a Grom screen, there's the icon. Ahh well, I'll continue to ignore it.

I see these sensors are cheap on Amazon/eBay. Can we just pop them into the bumper and add the feature? I'm assuming not.
AMIRZA786 (04-06-22)
Old 04-06-22, 09:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That's what I'm thinking too. Grom support just wrote back that I need to enable park assist... I don't have that either. I went through all settings etc double-checking it. It's definitely a GROM thing though. If I shift into reverse while on the factory radio screen, no icon. But when it's from a Grom screen, there's the icon. Ahh well, I'll continue to ignore it.

I see these sensors are cheap on Amazon/eBay. Can we just pop them into the bumper and add the feature? I'm assuming not.
Probably not, but maybe someone else can weigh in
Old 04-07-22, 12:33 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

We are looking into this glitch. This indicator will not affect the functionality of the Park Assist. Once the detectors engage once, the indicator will be showing a correct status.
Old 05-11-22, 10:59 PM
litpost
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

Does anybody know where to find the latest firmware for GROM VL2?

Thanks!
Giedrius
The following 2 users liked this post by litpost:
gromaudio (05-13-22), MrHarris (05-12-22)
Old 05-12-22, 07:45 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

How’s everyone liking their grom?

Quick Reply: My next upgrade...GROM VLINE VL2