IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISF Sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 02:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I ran the IS F bushings on my front F-Sport bar for a bit after having replaced the F-Sport bushings once or twice. They were better, but eventually I just changed out the bar for an IS F bar, which I actually find to be a better balance (IS F front bar, F-Sport rear bar). Is it faster on the track? Not sure, but I like the way it feels. From memory all of my F-Sport bushings were rubber as well - perhaps they updated them? This was many years ago for me now.

The IS F bushings fit with the F-Sport front bar without any issues, though as I said originally, the F-Sport bar is slightly thinner, so they're not quite as tight as they are on the IS F bar.

Jeff
Mine are from the last couple months (2020-07) I have poly 19 and 17mm rears and poly fronts. Oddly one set of fronts have grooves machined in them and the rears too. My take away is they are meant to hold Teflon so I greased them as noted above.
FWIW poly being hard black shinny, not so pliable. Rather a PITA to open and get over the bar without getting Teflon on everything in site.
Old 10-29-20, 02:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Mine are from the last couple months (2020-07) I have poly 19 and 17mm rears and poly fronts. Oddly one set of fronts have grooves machined in them and the rears too. My take away is they are meant to hold Teflon so I greased them as noted above.
FWIW poly being hard black shinny, not so pliable. Rather a PITA to open and get over the bar without getting Teflon on everything in site.
Yeah they are rubber, you can see it right away. Even the replacements I bought. Also they are pliable unlike Poly. I'll probably change them out for ISF bushings when I do my F-Sport suspension next year
Old 10-29-20, 02:28 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I'll snap some photos tonight. Def poly. Interesting we ended up w different materials buying so close together.
I wonder what the real PN is for mine?
Old 10-29-20, 02:37 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

I'll snap some photos tonight. Def poly. Interesting we ended up w different materials buying so close together.
Mine definitely look like poly as well. Front and rear are the same material. I bought them at different times though. One thing for sure my stock AWD rear 14mm bushing are the same material as the Fsport. The fronts are flimsy rubber, and really thin.

If you find info on the kits themselves. The description reads with harder durometer rubber bushings to minimize deflection. So they maybe just be that.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 10-29-20 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (10-29-20)
Old 10-29-20, 03:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I will also snap some pics of the original bushings that came with the F-Sport Sway bar and post them later tonight
Old 10-29-20, 04:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Here are some pics of the old F-Sport Front Sway bar bushings

They are made of what I believe is a hard rubber and easily stretchable at the slit. They do have that boring design inside the bushing described by @2013FSport and they seem to be covered by a greyish teflon like powder

EDIT

After re-examining the bushings again, I am re-thinking that it is possible that they are made of Poly. Rubber bushings would most likely not squeak, like the bushings are currently doing. It's possible people are not greasing them thinking they are rubber and that could be the cause. I'm going to do some additional research and if they do turn out to be Poly than I will either re-grease them or replace them with ISF front sway bar bushings

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 10-29-20 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 05:28 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Here are some pics of the old F-Sport Front Sway bar bushings

They are made of what I believe is a hard rubber and easily stretchable at the slit. They do have that boring design inside the bushing described by @2013FSport and they seem to be covered by a greyish teflon like powder

EDIT

After re-examining the bushings again, I am re-thinking that it is possible that they are made of Poly. Rubber bushings would most likely not squeak, like the bushings are currently doing. It's possible people are not greasing them thinking they are rubber and that could be the cause. I'm going to do some additional research and if they do turn out to be Poly than I will either re-grease them or replace them with ISF front sway bar bushings
Here's my stock rear for AWD. They have about 50k miles on them. They look like the Fsport material. The white residue looks to be maybe mold release. Very stiff bushings for the rear. I wish they used the same material for the front instead of flimsy rubber..

Yeah for your fronts its probably swirls to retain grease. The wierd thing is my front Fsport bar bushings has smooth finish on the inside.

AMIRZA786 (10-29-20)
Old 10-29-20, 09:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Here's my stock rear for AWD. They have about 50k miles on them. They look like the Fsport material. The white residue looks to be maybe mold release. Very stiff bushings for the rear. I wish they used the same material for the front instead of flimsy rubber..

Yeah for your fronts its probably swirls to retain grease. The wierd thing is my front Fsport bar bushings has smooth finish on the inside.

If the swirls are for retaining grease, then maybe they are not rubber, but poly. If installed without or with minimal greasing, then it makes sense they would start squeaking after a month or two. It's a very distinctive squeak after going up a driveway or over a bump. My son heard it and confirmed. I even heard it going into a turn.

Today I ordered ISF front sway bar bushings for around $34 each. I'll live with the squeak and install them next year when I install F-Sport suspension
Old 10-29-20, 11:53 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

OK, here is my contribution. These are indeed polyurethane. And do notice the parallel grooves throughout both.
In my application, I filled them with silicone grease and all is well.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 10-30-20 at 04:26 PM. Reason: LOL autocorrect for absolute typing fail...
AMIRZA786 (10-30-20)
Old 10-30-20, 08:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

OK, here is my contribution. These are indeed ponly. And do notice the parallel grooves throughout both.
In my application, I filled them with silicone grease and all is well.

Mine were not as shiny as yours (both the ones that came with the F-Sport Sway bar and the new ones I bought) and have that rubber looking texture, but I agree with you that the ones I have may also be Poly. I will compare them with the OEM stock bushings, which I still have somewhere. The stock sway bar bushings never made even so much as a peep! When these were installed, no grease was added because I though they were rubber. They did come coated in some sort of lubricating material as I had to wear gloves to handle them, which explains why they didn't squeak when first installed but do now...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 10-30-20 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 02:08 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

The Lexus F-Sport brochure lists the Sway bar bushings as rubber​​​​​​.

AMIRZA786 (10-30-20)
Old 10-30-20, 02:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redspencer
The Lexus F-Sport brochure lists the Sway bar bushings as rubber​​​​​​.

So I'm wondering why they begin to squeak after a month. If they are rubber you can't grease them, you can only use powder lube. Also why do they have the have the grease retaining swirls in them? I've only see that in aftermarket poly bushings
Old 10-30-20, 03:42 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So I'm wondering why they begin to squeak after a month. If they are rubber you can't grease them, you can only use powder lube. Also why do they have the have the grease retaining swirls in them? I've only see that in aftermarket poly bushings
Those specs are probably for the original design bushings. Like I said my fronts are a smooth surface inside. They probably found a new supplier to make the bushings. Most poly bushings on the market use some sort of grease retaining indention.
AMIRZA786 (10-30-20)
Old 10-30-20, 04:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Those specs are probably for the original design bushings. Like I said my fronts are a smooth surface inside. They probably found a new supplier to make the bushings. Most poly bushings on the market use some sort of grease retaining indention.

^^ Agreed.
Customer complaints and squeaky luxury vehicles have a way of promoting change!!!!
Old 11-04-20, 03:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This Friday I am going to pull the front and back sway bar bushings and grease them up. This should hopefully stop the squeaking when going over speed bumps and up driveways. Since it worked for @2013FSport I'm confident that this will fix the issue...until it needs be regreased

Quick Reply: ISF Sway bar bushings