IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F sport axleback tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 07:04 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
Default F sport axleback tips

I just had an used f sport axleback install on my car. The exhaust paired with the invidia midpipe sounds so nice and is way louder than my previous setup which was the tanabe and invidia midpipe. After the shop installed the axleback I noticed the driving side tip sticks out way more than the passenger tip I would say like a inch farther out. I like the way the passenger side is a bit more in. So I asked them why is it sticking out more and they basically just said thats just how it is and they cant push the driver tip in because of the piping wont let it go more in. I have seen other lexus cars with the f sport exhaust and I know it sticks more quite a bit but I never seen them misaligned.

Driver side

passenger side

When I got home I waited for the exhaust to cooled down and I tried to push it in but couldn’t really do much. I then looked at the hangers and noticed that they werent the same on both sides.

Driver side

Passenger side

Did they install it incorrectly or maybe they didnt care enough to make it fit nicely?
I dont mind getting under my car and aligning it.... how would I align it? I love the way the passenger side is not sticking out and if its possible I would love to have both sides in like that.

Last edited by davidbusta; 11-05-20 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-11-20)
Old 11-06-20, 04:11 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Any pics of the Y pipe? Perhaps it was bent, causing one side to push in.
Old 11-06-20, 12:05 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Any pics of the Y pipe? Perhaps it was bent, causing one side to push in.
I took a look under there and I cant see any out of normal bends. I was looking other threads and I read somewhere that sometimes the way your bolt it up will misalign it. The shop bolted it up Y-pipe first, then driver side, and the passenger side.

Last edited by davidbusta; 11-06-20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-07-20, 03:26 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

I’m currently under my car looking at what is different from both sides and I see one of the rubber hangers on the driver side seems to be stretched out compared to the other side. And is causing the side that pokes out to be lower than the other side. Does any one know the part number for this?
Old 11-07-20, 05:09 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

So I found the part number for those rubber hangers. After further examination off the pipes, I was about to find a part of the Y pipe where it was damaged. I might have to go to a muffler shop to see if they can fix it. Or remove y pipe myself and give it to my friend who is a welder and see if he can fix it up for me. Sucks that there was damage on it and I didn’t notice before handing the money for the exhaust. I would of haggled down the price a bit more.
Old 11-11-20, 11:05 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbusta
So I found the part number for those rubber hangers. After further examination off the pipes, I was about to find a part of the Y pipe where it was damaged. I might have to go to a muffler shop to see if they can fix it. Or remove y pipe myself and give it to my friend who is a welder and see if he can fix it up for me. Sucks that there was damage on it and I didn’t notice before handing the money for the exhaust. I would of haggled down the price a bit more.
More often than not, this type of alignment issue is from backing into stuff or being rear-ended. A scrape like that typically doesn't have the force needed to drag one whole side back an inch unless the action straightened the bend out.

Fixing a height adjustment is pretty easy. Bending this back is not so easy. Most will opt for moving the tip or muffler via cut and weld. That said, are the tips and mufflers parallel to each other or more V shape with one being shifted and or both off?

One option a shop could take is to heat the two bends up red hot and force it back... as most cannot fit welded and flanged pipe back on a tubing bender. Don't hesitate to stop at a good old school frame and alignment shop. I used to run a Chief Easyliner II at a frame shop and could fix that pretty easy in 15 min or so with tension and torch. GL...
AMIRZA786 (11-11-20)
Old 11-11-20, 03:20 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
More often than not, this type of alignment issue is from backing into stuff or being rear-ended. A scrape like that typically doesn't have the force needed to drag one whole side back an inch unless the action straightened the bend out.

Fixing a height adjustment is pretty easy. Bending this back is not so easy. Most will opt for moving the tip or muffler via cut and weld. That said, are the tips and mufflers parallel to each other or more V shape with one being shifted and or both off?

One option a shop could take is to heat the two bends up red hot and force it back... as most cannot fit welded and flanged pipe back on a tubing bender. Don't hesitate to stop at a good old school frame and alignment shop. I used to run a Chief Easyliner II at a frame shop and could fix that pretty easy in 15 min or so with tension and torch. GL...
I believe how this specific dent that I circled in the earlier post happened was someone raised the car from the differential and didn’t use a low profile jack. And when they drop the car back down the piping landed hard onto the jack. It’s my only logical explanation.

The previous owner of my car did say that he did get rear ended slightly years ago. Nothing is on record for the car. He said it was just a love tap. But I doubt that’ll cause any issues now since the stock axleback looked good. And the Tanabe axleback I used to have prior looked amazing. Just now with the f sport axleback the fitment isn’t good.

im not sure if this is the due to the hanger being stretched out but the back of the driver side muffler is noticeably lower than the other side. And the driver side is the side with all the fitment issues. And the passenger side looks perfect

tomorrow the exhaust rubber hangers come in so hopefully it would help with some fitment issues when i switch them.
Old 11-11-20, 06:25 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Silly question for all - did your rear F-Sport bar have the F-Sport logo on it? My "new purchase" from this year /2020/ does not. Just curious... tks!
Old 11-11-20, 06:58 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Silly question for all - did your rear F-Sport bar have the F-Sport logo on it? My "new purchase" from this year /2020/ does not. Just curious... tks!
Yeah the rear one does on the center. I bought it March 2020.

Last edited by davidbusta; 11-11-20 at 07:39 PM.
2013FSport (11-11-20)
Old 11-12-20, 06:06 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Well looks like I messed up when looking at what to order. I order just the rubber hangers to simply replace them. But the one rubber hanger that I needed to replace due to being stretched out seems to be unremovable from a metal piece.

In order to replace the stretched out rubber hanger I need to buy that whole piece rather than just the hanger. The hanger on the right is the unremovable stretched out one and it’s noticeably stretched compared to a new hanger.

such a shame that I bought something that won’t really help me. And I’m going to have to order that whole metal piece which I believe will come with the hangers too. But sucks that I’m going to have to wait days again. Due to my fault
Old 11-13-20, 10:38 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

If you can get just the rubber isolator, cut some electrical tape in varying widths and wrap it next to the head. Form a ramp so to speak so the heads flare is not a hard stop. Now throw some dish soap on there for lube and and it will slide right off.
Old 11-13-20, 03:12 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

If you can get just the rubber isolator, cut some electrical tape in varying widths and wrap it next to the head. Form a ramp so to speak so the heads flare is not a hard stop. Now throw some dish soap on there for lube and and it will slide right off.
Yeah that works for the other hanger. I just used WD40 and it just slide off with not much force require. But the other side cant be removed because its completely incased by the metal. I dont have any pictures of what I am talking about besides what I already posted.
At this point I am going to just wait to try to fix it. When I installed it all back I put a zip tie as a temporary fix to hold up the muffler so it doesnt look like its sagging.