IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Im thinking bad water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 11:56 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Im thinking bad water pump?

About 2000 miles ago I noticed my engine started to sound whiner then normal. Sounds like a Supercharger whine when your in the lower gears or slowing down. The pitch changes with the throttle. Today I was moving the car out of the garbage and noticed a garbling sound like a pully bearing or something. Pretty sure after some Youtube videos its looking like a bad water pump on my 2012 IS350 with 72k miles. I didnt see any leaks but my coolant reservoir was really low. Just want to see if any one can confirm before I order a new pump? Sound is definitely center and front of the engine.

Last edited by Hondabuff; 12-12-20 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (12-12-20)
Old 12-13-20, 08:47 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondabuff
About 2000 miles ago I noticed my engine started to sound whiner then normal. Sounds like a Supercharger whine when your in the lower gears or slowing down. The pitch changes with the throttle. Today I was moving the car out of the garbage and noticed a garbling sound like a pully bearing or something. Pretty sure after some Youtube videos its looking like a bad water pump on my 2012 IS350 with 72k miles. I didnt see any leaks but my coolant reservoir was really low. Just want to see if any one can confirm before I order a new pump? Sound is definitely center and front of the engine.

https://youtu.be/QfOqnPaJb78
my 07” 350 has a similar sound but it on the driver side, it’s sound like tractor but it on and off not all the time, i took it to the dealer to check, they siad is normal? But i know that sound not normal it’s just start like 30k miles ago, and i am the only owner, hopefully someone elso have had that sound on their IS could help us.
Old 12-14-20, 04:41 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

So I ordered the Aisin WPT-137 OEM Water pump, Aisin THT-004 Thermostat, Dayco 5070610 belt, Dayco 89158 Idler Pully and picked up 2 gallons of Lexus/Toyota antifreeze from Advanced Auto and will be replacing the water pump today or tomorrow after all the parts come in from Amazon. My sister used to be an Service Advisor at a Toyota dealer here in Pittsburgh and one of the mechanics told her to tell me how to test it. Grab a ratchet with 14mm socket and while the car is off put it on the tension pulley and rotate counter clockwise to take all the tension off the belt. Then reach down and grab the Pulley for the water pump and see if there is any slop in it by wiggling it. Mine defiantly has about 2mm of slop in it and you can hear the bearing noise if you spin the pulley. I will report back if the noise is gone after I replace the pump today.
Old 12-14-20, 06:59 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondabuff
So I ordered the Aisin WPT-137 OEM Water pump, Aisin THT-004 Thermostat, Dayco 5070610 belt, Dayco 89158 Idler Pully and picked up 2 gallons of Lexus/Toyota antifreeze from Advanced Auto and will be replacing the water pump today or tomorrow after all the parts come in from Amazon. My sister used to be an Service Advisor at a Toyota dealer here in Pittsburgh and one of the mechanics told her to tell me how to test it. Grab a ratchet with 14mm socket and while the car is off put it on the tension pulley and rotate counter clockwise to take all the tension off the belt. Then reach down and grab the Pulley for the water pump and see if there is any slop in it by wiggling it. Mine defiantly has about 2mm of slop in it and you can hear the bearing noise if you spin the pulley. I will report back if the noise is gone after I replace the pump today.

I've always used a super long screw driver or wood dowel. With the engine at idle, place the dowel or screwdriver to the suspect area AVOIDING the belt and pulleys. Make sure your hair, shirt, and everything else up neat so you don't get caught in the belt and place your ear to the end of the stick. Move to each component, idler, water pump, alternator, various parts of the engine block.

You will hear some crazy sounds. Yours actually being loose like that, I'd think that is pretty rare at that mileage.

FWIW: I picked up the 350 in 2017 with 50,000 miles on a 2013 and it has a whine to it. It is not the alternator. It's at a 100K now and needs the belt changed. While the belt is off, I'll fire it up and verify it is not any of the driven accessories.

I've always suspect it to be the transmission front pump but could never say for certain. It hasn't changes in 51k so I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 12-14-20, 04:05 PM
Hondabuff
Driver

100% confirmed it was the water pump bearing that was bad. Really made the engine alot more quiet after I installed the new one. Not too bad of a job to do but getting the hoses off the water inlet pipe where the cap is was a major PITA. Those hoses are on there for good. Holy cow does it make a mess in the garage with antifreeze every where. I was pretty careful with a large oil pan and cardboard. Total time to install was 2.5 hours and took an hour to hose out the engine compartment and garage with Simple Green.

Old 12-15-20, 09:12 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Yep...worse OEM WP in history. Everyone loses it between 60K and 90K miles.
Old 12-16-20, 07:27 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Yep...worse OEM WP in history. Everyone loses it between 60K and 90K miles.
Or at 20k something miles, like on mine. LOL!
Old 12-18-20, 12:33 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Mine lasted me until 120k, and decided to take a sudden dump on me on Guanella pass in the mountains of colorado!

That was a fun day, since there was no cell phone service at the top of the pass,, i had to limp the car down the mountain back to Georgetown, making occasional stops to refill the cooling system with water from a nearby stream next to the road. Gave me a good excuse to totally replace and flush every part of the cooling system though!