IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 is 350 oil leak day after I got it home

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 10:07 PM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006 is 350 oil leak day after I got it home

Just bought 2006 is350 waiting 2 weeks for the car as the dealer was fixing things on it. One of the things they said they fixed was Value covers I’m assuming the gasket. Parked it in my garage last night this morning when I pulled it out noticed the oil on the ground and look underneath the plastic underneath looks soaked in oil. Checked the dip stick it’s still full don’t know if it’s wet from before they fixed the gasket or it’s something else.

Saw on here there’s a common issue with the timing cover leaking and it being very expensive to fix. I hope that it’s old oil from before and not a new leak.

the dealership seems pretty legit and hopefully they will fix for free regardless. I plan on calling them tomorrow morning to let them know.

On top of that they sent the touch screen out to be repaired before I got delivery of the car and that is still broken. Witch I called them before I noticed the leak to make an appointment to have them fix that again.

I just feel sick thinking they won’t repair it and I have to pay out of pocket to fix this. There’s no way they didn’t notice the leak when they inspected it .can’t imagine they could sell it like that knowing.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (12-15-20)
Old 12-16-20, 12:03 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Teakrunked
Just bought 2006 is350 waiting 2 weeks for the car as the dealer was fixing things on it. One of the things they said they fixed was Value covers I’m assuming the gasket. Parked it in my garage last night this morning when I pulled it out noticed the oil on the ground and look underneath the plastic underneath looks soaked in oil. Checked the dip stick it’s still full don’t know if it’s wet from before they fixed the gasket or it’s something else.

Saw on here there’s a common issue with the timing cover leaking and it being very expensive to fix. I hope that it’s old oil from before and not a new leak.

the dealership seems pretty legit and hopefully they will fix for free regardless. I plan on calling them tomorrow morning to let them know.

On top of that they sent the touch screen out to be repaired before I got delivery of the car and that is still broken. Witch I called them before I noticed the leak to make an appointment to have them fix that again.

I just feel sick thinking they won’t repair it and I have to pay out of pocket to fix this. There’s no way they didn’t notice the leak when they inspected it .can’t imagine they could sell it like that knowing.
oh wow I wouldnt even drive it. Leave it alone and get the stuff documented and inspected somewhere with it being towed to have a paper trail of everything you did for it and not putting any miles on it if possible, or just tow it back to the dealer asap. I would definitely call the dealer and have them inspect this themselves again, and while your at it have them do a more indepth inspection to get more documentation on their end. If its a lexus dealership I would personally contact lexus corp and give them the rundown of what just happened and go from there, they can work wonders for you should things get heated at the dealership. Take pictures of what you see like below the car, maybe even in the engine bay if you notice anything and also the odo as well to have more proof. Also check and see what recalls have been done on it and any previous history records while your at it, you can see a good amount on lexus.com if you make an account and put in your vehicles info there it should show you whats been done for the most part.
Old 12-16-20, 04:39 AM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ncatona
oh wow I wouldnt even drive it. Leave it alone and get the stuff documented and inspected somewhere with it being towed to have a paper trail of everything you did for it and not putting any miles on it if possible, or just tow it back to the dealer asap. I would definitely call the dealer and have them inspect this themselves again, and while your at it have them do a more indepth inspection to get more documentation on their end. If its a lexus dealership I would personally contact lexus corp and give them the rundown of what just happened and go from there, they can work wonders for you should things get heated at the dealership. Take pictures of what you see like below the car, maybe even in the engine bay if you notice anything and also the odo as well to have more proof. Also check and see what recalls have been done on it and any previous history records while your at it, you can see a good amount on lexus.com if you make an account and put in your vehicles info there it should show you whats been done for the most part.
Its not a Lexus dealership it’s a Subaru dealership but at least it’s not a straight up scummy used car lot. It’s actually really nice place that also sells new boats and has like an insane view on the water. I’m getting ready to call them in like 20 minutes I’ll update from there
Old 12-16-20, 07:23 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Hope all goes well. Let us know what they end up doing for you.
Old 12-16-20, 09:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Dealerships usually give a limited warranty unless they specifically state that the car is being sold as is. If it is still leaking after they fixed it I am sure they will address it. As far as infotainment system, they probably sent it out to be rebuilt so there is probably also a limited warranty on that. It may be that they just forgot to connect a cable somewhere. A few weeks back I added a GROM VLINE VL2 so I can add Google maps/Android Auto functionality, and pulling the infotainment system to get to the cables is a PITA, especially for amateurs like myself

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-16-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 11:35 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

I think the most common leak is the oil pressure feed tube to the head. The Pipe has two banjo bolts and washers. Most of the time all that is is needed is to loosen the bolt and reseat. Do a search for Banjo Bolt and you'll see.

Many assume its the valve cover, but it's just below the cover on both heads.

GL
mike33 (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 12:39 PM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I think the most common leak is the oil pressure feed tube to the head. The Pipe has two banjo bolts and washers. Most of the time all that is is needed is to loosen the bolt and reseat. Do a search for Banjo Bolt and you'll see.

Many assume its the valve cover, but it's just below the cover on both heads.

GL
hey I hope you’re right it’s a small leak I took the plastic cover off the bottom and cleaned it left it off put cardboard underneath. I will see if it is still leaking not from before they fixed it but I have a massive snow storm coming in the next hour so I won’t be bringing to the dealership until Monday.

I called the sales manger I’ve been talking to threw this whole thing and I left him a message he hasn’t called back yet but I already had an appointment for Monday so.
Old 12-16-20, 05:07 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I hope it's that Banjo bolt too.. I don't recall valve cover gaskets being a thing really on the 350. The Bolt does seem like a much easier fix.

I've got a 2000 4runner with the original VC gaskets and a supercharger, it's got around 205k miles right now and there's only a little weeping around the gasket. No leaks.
Old 12-16-20, 10:50 PM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

I think they over filled it here’s a picture of the dip stick the oil ends where my thumb is

this could cause a leak?
ncatona (12-17-20)
Old 12-17-20, 12:44 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I think they over filled it here’s a picture of the dip stick the oil ends where my thumb is

this could cause a leak?
that looks well over 1 quart overfilled, my 350 was overfilled by 1 quart and that was slightly above the highest divets where the dipstick has those small twists in it I hope you didnt blow any seals, at this point if this was me I wouldnt risk driving it to cause more damage but tow it back for another oil change and hope that fixes it.
Old 12-17-20, 10:28 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Not to lead the witness but, is this telling us they know it leaks bad and overfilling was a cheap insurance policy that it won't be empty in 30 days when OP can no longer return it?

OR, lube tech is super careless. Sorry OP...
Old 12-17-20, 11:24 AM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Not to lead the witness but, is this telling us they know it leaks bad and overfilling was a cheap insurance policy that it won't be empty in 30 days when OP can no longer return it?

OR, lube tech is super careless. Sorry OP...
well the dealership seemed legit fixed a bunch of stuff after I paid for it (12k cash) including valve cover gaskets. So either they didn’t fix the leak and over filled on purpose or there’s another leak and accidentally over filled it. There closed today due to a massive snow storm.
Old 12-17-20, 12:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,627 Posts

well the dealership seemed legit fixed a bunch of stuff after I paid for it (12k cash) including valve cover gaskets. So either they didn’t fix the leak and over filled on purpose or there’s another leak and accidentally over filled it. There closed today due to a massive snow storm.
What's snow? Oh, it's that white cold stuff I've seen when I go up to the mountains in the winter
Old 12-17-20, 01:39 PM
Teakrunked
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE

talked to the dealer “we will make it right for you” they said I assume that means free. They got a tow truck coming tomorrow morning and they dropping off a loaner car in the mean time I’m pretty happy that there taking care of it hopefully the over fill didn’t do any damage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Teakrunked:
AMIRZA786 (12-17-20), ncatona (12-17-20)
Old 12-17-20, 04:11 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 144 Posts

Good luck with it.