IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AC/Heating kills the engine on my 2006 Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 11:28 AM
SiouxYaYa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/Heating kills the engine on my 2006 Lexus IS250

I was driving home last night, and when I first turned on the car it had some problems turning on (I had the A/C turned on while starting the engine). It had a little trouble idling at first but after about 15-30 seconds it smoothed out and was fine. I was driving home and a “check air conditioner” warning popped up on my navigation screen. I eventually turned off the air conditioner because it was getting a bit warm in my car and I wanted to see if that would get rid of the message. It did, and then when I went to turn it back on, the RPMs shot up and down a couple times and then killed the engine while I was driving. I rolled the car to the side of the road, tried turning it on and it wouldn’t turn on with the AC on, but it would if I had the AC off. Then when I got home I parked and played around with it for a little bit and now whenever I have the engine running and I turn on the AC, the engine just stops.

My father owned the car before I did, and about 3-4 years ago he had the alternator melt on him, so I suspect maybe it’s a similar problem?
Old 12-22-20, 10:04 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by SiouxYaYa
I was driving home last night, and when I first turned on the car it had some problems turning on (I had the A/C turned on while starting the engine). It had a little trouble idling at first but after about 15-30 seconds it smoothed out and was fine. I was driving home and a “check air conditioner” warning popped up on my navigation screen. I eventually turned off the air conditioner because it was getting a bit warm in my car and I wanted to see if that would get rid of the message. It did, and then when I went to turn it back on, the RPMs shot up and down a couple times and then killed the engine while I was driving. I rolled the car to the side of the road, tried turning it on and it wouldn’t turn on with the AC on, but it would if I had the AC off. Then when I got home I parked and played around with it for a little bit and now whenever I have the engine running and I turn on the AC, the engine just stops.

My father owned the car before I did, and about 3-4 years ago he had the alternator melt on him, so I suspect maybe it’s a similar problem?

Was this car in a frontal collision in its life? Even if not, the age and wear and tear have seized the AC compressor. Now when set to cool, the electromagnet engages the compressor which is seized /won't spin or turn and the result is stalling the engine.

You should pull the AC compressor fuse or relay as the act of turning it on is trying to destroy the belt, and drive accessories. It will leave you stranded when the belt breaks or idler pulley fails.

Hint, the AC compressor has a magnetic clutch that slips or disconnects when AC is not needed. That's why the engine runs with the AC off.

You need a repair shop to replace the compressor, the dryer, the flex hoses, and condenser and flush the debris from the failed compressor out of the system. If you don't do it right, the debris will kill the replacement compressor.

Make sense? Sorry. Its not a cheap fix. Don't skimp out with flush and new pump. You'll be sorry.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (12-22-20)
Old 12-22-20, 10:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Yes, I agree with @2013FSport on his analysis. I had a 76 Mercedes 280S with a bad compressor clutch. When the AC was on and the compressor would engage, it would make a squeaking sound and the engine would lose power. The idle would drop way below normal. A lot of times the belt would start slipping when I accelerated. One day on the freeway the compressor finally seized, I hear a loud squealing sound, smoke coming from the engine, then the belt snapped. Luckily the compressor was driven by its own single belt that didn't drive any other accessory like the water pump. Your situation sounds similar except on our cars the belt drives other accessories like water pump. I wouldn't drive it with the AC on at all until the compressor problem is addressed