IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dealer suggest i do these, is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 04:17 AM
Frank1984
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dealer suggest i do these, is it necessary?

car is getting the dash recall, and fuel line recall done at the dealer, they sent me a list of what they are "recommending" i do right away, i know to ignore a few of those, like new tires done, a/c refresh, and spark plugs (they need replacing but they want $350, not happening at dealer) but 2 of them i have a question about since i think i read somewhere it was part of the extended warranty. They want the fuel injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning.

Now normally i know most cars dont really need fuel injector cleaning unless its like a extreme case, and throtte body cleaning, thats basically seafoaming you car aint it? But i just want to make sure its not something specific to is250s

Old 12-23-20, 06:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You do not need these done at the dealer, you can do it yourself. Do not fall prey into these. Use premium gas and you will get the cleaning you need. Throttle body cleaning, if you use good gas, this will be ok not to do. Just recommendations, do what you like to do. Makes you happy, then just do it.
Old 12-23-20, 06:35 AM
Frank1984
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You do not need these done at the dealer, you can do it yourself. Do not fall prey into these. Use premium gas and you will get the cleaning you need. Throttle body cleaning, if you use good gas, this will be ok not to do. Just recommendations, do what you like to do. Makes you happy, then just do it.
yes of course, all these things would have been a complete ignore, only reason i even considered it, especially the fuel issue, is i though i read somewhere these cars have a particular issue with that, other than that most of that i can do on my own or a different shop, since im a new owner of this car i though i would double check here first.
Old 12-23-20, 06:54 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 144 Posts

IMHO: The dealer doesn't get much return on doing recall work so they always suggest extra work that they do profit more from.
Old 12-23-20, 11:56 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Does the fuel line recall require them to take off the spark plugs? Try to negotiate them down on the spark plugs if possible, otherwise spark plug change on the 250 is a pain. The cleanings might be the carbon build up, not sure how much that helps.
Old 12-23-20, 12:10 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

You need new spark plugs at 100,000 miles. They are pain to replace on The drivers side as you do have to take off the intake manifold and it takes an hour to do the job. The plugs are not cheap $15 each in the US $30 in Canada use only the OEM plugs when changing them. I wouldn’t have the dealer do any of the work they are recommending. But that’s me. If you need plugs do them. You should get a new seal kit for the manifold and throttle body when changing the plugs. Not needed but highly recommended.
Old 12-23-20, 02:40 PM
Frank1984
Driver

Originally Posted by winterturb
You need new spark plugs at 100,000 miles. They are pain to replace on The drivers side as you do have to take off the intake manifold and it takes an hour to do the job. The plugs are not cheap $15 each in the US $30 in Canada use only the OEM plugs when changing them. I wouldn’t have the dealer do any of the work they are recommending. But that’s me. If you need plugs do them. You should get a new seal kit for the manifold and throttle body when changing the plugs. Not needed but highly recommended.
15 dollars EACH spark plug? where is this, everywhere i check they are going for for like 30-40 bucks a set of 6, the denso iridiums...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-OE...gAAOSws59dDcRo
Old 12-23-20, 05:26 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Does the fuel line recall require them to take off the spark plugs? Try to negotiate them down on the spark plugs if possible, otherwise spark plug change on the 250 is a pain. The cleanings might be the carbon build up, not sure how much that helps.
I don't think the 250 had a recall for the fuel rail so let's go w 350. However, neither require the plugs pulled for this work.

The 350 is a 45 min job for plugs cleaning along the way. The 250 needs the intake manifold off for plugs.

OP, can you wrench?
At bare minimum, clean the MAF and do the plugs yourself. 3X a year, toss some Techron fuel cleaner in the tank.

Mainly when seasons change, tanks sweat and moisture can be pumped into your tank. These products can remove it...
Old 12-23-20, 05:48 PM
Frank1984
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I don't think the 250 had a recall for the fuel rail so let's go w 350. However, neither require the plugs pulled for this work.

The 350 is a 45 min job for plugs cleaning along the way. The 250 needs the intake manifold off for plugs.

OP, can you wrench?
At bare minimum, clean the MAF and do the plugs yourself. 3X a year, toss some Techron fuel cleaner in the tank.

Mainly when seasons change, tanks sweat and moisture can be pumped into your tank. These products can remove it...

i have changed the spark plugs/wires on my is300 and cant say i enjoyed the experience much, but at the time i was broke as hell so i HAD to do it, im sure i can do it myself on the is250 too, but since i have other things i want done to the car which i dont want to tackle, like the coolant flush, and transmission fluid drain (saw a video on youtube on it and it looks alot more troublesome without proper equipment than on the is300) i might just take it to my local shop and see if they will do it all at a reasonable price

as far as the MAF sensor, is it the same like the is300? i.e that little amber bulb thing? i still have a can of MAF sensor cleaner i used my my is300 maf sensor laying around, can i use that on this maf as well??

and the throttle body, can i just carb clean that down? as in take apart the intake and spray it down in there while the car is on?
Old 12-24-20, 08:21 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank1984
15 dollars EACH spark plug? where is this, everywhere i check they are going for for like 30-40 bucks a set of 6, the denso iridiums...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-OE...gAAOSws59dDcRo
you have a point. For me I don’t buy them off eBay. There are too many knock offs that look like OEM and they can ruin your engine fast It’s not worth the risk to me to buy plugs anywhere but a dealer. Your car your choice
Old 12-24-20, 08:29 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
you have a point. For me I don’t buy them off eBay. There are too many knock offs that look like OEM and they can ruin your engine fast It’s not worth the risk to me to buy plugs anywhere but a dealer. Your car your choice
$15 each sounds about right.

https://www.densoproducts.com/denso-...ife-spark-plug
Old 12-24-20, 10:03 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank1984
i have changed the spark plugs/wires on my is300 and cant say i enjoyed the experience much, but at the time i was broke as hell so i HAD to do it, im sure i can do it myself on the is250 too, but since i have other things i want done to the car which i dont want to tackle, like the coolant flush, and transmission fluid drain (saw a video on youtube on it and it looks alot more troublesome without proper equipment than on the is300) i might just take it to my local shop and see if they will do it all at a reasonable price

as far as the MAF sensor, is it the same like the is300? i.e that little amber bulb thing? i still have a can of MAF sensor cleaner i used my my is300 maf sensor laying around, can i use that on this maf as well??

and the throttle body, can i just carb clean that down? as in take apart the intake and spray it down in there while the car is on?

IMO, work a deal on the plugs so you don't pay above cost and have them installed while the intake is off. There is no point in duplicating this labor and risking wires breaking. The plugs are completely exposed with the intake off.

The MAF comes out with two screws. Flush it repeatedly and reinstall.

TB, yes, you can remove it and clean both sides with a rag and MAF cleaner. Do not use any tools to open, force, scrape, pry the TB butterfly. Only rags! Clean the flange and gasket behind it and evenly torque the bolts when done.
Old 12-24-20, 04:26 PM
Frank1984
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
IMO, work a deal on the plugs so you don't pay above cost and have them installed while the intake is off. There is no point in duplicating this labor and risking wires breaking. The plugs are completely exposed with the intake off.

The MAF comes out with two screws. Flush it repeatedly and reinstall.

TB, yes, you can remove it and clean both sides with a rag and MAF cleaner. Do not use any tools to open, force, scrape, pry the TB butterfly. Only rags! Clean the flange and gasket behind it and evenly torque the bolts when done.

i already called and asked if i can get the same deal i got with the shift ribbon which was broken and they said i only had to pay for the part to have replaced since it was going to be taken apart anyways, they said the spark plugs where not going to be exposed during the replacement of the fuel lines, so looks like i will be taking it to a different shop for the spark plugs, now im just shopping for the spark plugs.

so from what im hearing its not worth buying them from ebay, or even amazon at all since they can be fakes?? the price difference is crazy. i mean i have bought spark plugs before on ebay for my bike and other car and never had a issue getting fakes. Or maybe somebody on here can point me to a seller they have bought the spark plugs from before and where oem.

Old 12-24-20, 11:53 PM
Tausif123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock Auto has the OEM Denso 3473 (FK20HBR11) for about $11 USD each so ~ $66 not bad. I've also heard a lot about fake plugs on ebay packaged to look identical to OEM so for such a minor cost difference I wouldn't risk it with ebay but your choice I guess.
Old 12-25-20, 04:58 AM
Frank1984
Driver

that sounds fair enough, what about the TPMS sensor? i was seeing them on ebay for about 40 dollars for all 4, now im seeing on rock auto they are 32 EACH, anybody had any luck with what seems to be aftermarket ones on ebay (although it says OEM)

ill pay the extra for the spark plugs from rock auto, but i rather not on something like those damn sensors, which i dont agree with their job to begin with, but that tire pressure light is driving me crazy

Quick Reply: dealer suggest i do these, is it necessary?