IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Power / Auto Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21 | 06:13 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Or, I'm now also just looking at a momentary reverse polarity toggle switch. I'd prefer an OEM look, but let's see what's out there.
Old 01-20-21 | 09:30 PM
trujtru
Driver

The only other thing besides those australian switches to have the OEM look would be this toyota aristo switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM....m46890.l49292

Other part numbers I found
No.:84872-58010
And 84872-53020 which Babygate mentioned before but don't know how to verify.

Also 84872-60160, might be non-memory 09+ switch.

Last edited by trujtru; 01-20-21 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-26-21 | 03:00 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Did it! OMG, that was NOT easy. First off, the folding motor assembly doesn't have the same shape as the spring that was in there (ie, all the screws were slightly off and some holes didn't even exist). I guess the mirror I got was from an 08 and mine is a 14, so Lexus decided it'd be fun to change the frame and shape of the internals! Also the motor mounting point was too low, so it wouldn't go deep enough in the frame.

Anyway, a dremel, some patience and I managed to cut out the necessary areas to fit the motor in and also drill some new holes for screws:

Had to unpin all the wires, which wasn't too bad, glad I took a pic beforehand!

Decided I didn't want to fight the mirror control issue, so I managed to get a reverse polarity momentary switch from amazon, run a bunch of wiring, tapped into the fuse box and wired it all up. The switch almost looks like the Lexus F Sport logo, lol. Also, the switch bezel wouldn't fit in the hole, so I used my 3D printer to create a new one. Pretty much looks stock after I put in the bezel, which surprised me. I also moved the VSC switch next to my convertible controls... logically, the mirror button should probably go there, but since the switch wasn't 100% the same as the rest, I'm still debating if it will go there eventually. Also, the switch has a red LED on it, which looks cool in a way, but not sure I wanted it facing me (vs. down there, where it's facing the floor).

Fuse tap, pretty much any ACC on fuse would work. Originally, I tapped it into the Fuel Door, which is constant 12V, but the light on the switch was always on. I didn't want to cut the light out or run the risk of draining my battery, so just put it on an ACC on fuse instead. I'm still debating how I like it. Luckily, everything is 100% reversible and because of how I ran the wires, I have a few options.

At night, the red doesn't actually stand out that much (the pic color is off, all the switches have the same brightness and all the greens are the same color IRL):

Total time was probably 12 hours. Total cost in parts (the mirrors and the switches) was less than $90 bucks. Was it worth it? Yes! Would I do it again if I knew what it was going to entail? Probably. The driver side took like 6 hours to figure out... the passenger size was probably less than 1 hour. In retrospect, I could probably do the whole thing in about 3 hours knowing what I know now.

I LOVE having folding mirrors! I have all my switch covers finally occupied (the only thing I was missing was headlight washers, which I hate... I typically will disconnect the pump for those on my other cars). And honestly, the car just looks cooler with the mirrors folded in when it's parked, HAHA!

Not sure I'm even going to do the Auto folding module, takes only about 2 seconds of holding the switch to fold it in. Plus I do like having more control over it. I was having a blast folding it in on the freeway, lol. Cheap thrills. Plus this keeps the mod under $90, which considering how often I'm driving nowadays, isn't too bad.

Thanks everyone for the input and info!

Old 01-26-21 | 07:43 PM
trujtru
Driver

Cool man. Good job. Adding the auto is only another 15 bucks and maybe an hour or two of your time. Module only has to go on one side. But that's just me. Haha
Old 01-27-21 | 03:32 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

It's tempting, but since I only drive it once a week now and don't always need to fold in the mirrors when parked, I'll probably just stick with the manual control, for now.
Old 02-26-21 | 10:36 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Moved the switch around and replaced it with an OEM green bulb for that OEM look. So far, it's been a few weeks and I'm finding that I use it almost every time I park. I even used it on a narrow street as I was approaching another car, just to give myself a few more inches of clearance. It was unnecessary, but ooooh soooo nice to have

Old 03-01-21 | 09:10 AM
trujtru
Driver

Haha I do the same thing with the narrow roads and car passing by, but it's actually cars double parking on a one way street for me.

Green switch looks good.
​​​​
Glad you're getting use out of it.

Last edited by trujtru; 03-01-21 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-01-23 | 05:29 PM
Stevennkk
2nd gear

Default Passenger side not working

I followed this guide and got some 220d mirrors from the UK. swapped the springs for the motors and repinned everything and for some reason when I click the fold button only the drivers side opens and closes and I get nothing from the passenger side mirror. If I unplug the passenger mirror harness and apply 12v to the blue and green wires it works just fine when it’s installed on the car, but for some reason I get nothing when toggling the mirror control switch.

My car is a base model 2006 is350 with only the nav screen upgrade. I don’t have heated/cooled seats or memory seats so no control module there. I’m wondering if I need to swap my body control module to a newer one maybe? I’m stumped. Anybody with any input on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-23 | 10:59 AM
trujtru
Driver

I had the same initial problem. Either the pin from the mirror side isn't making contact with wiring harness or the pins need to be swapped. I'm going to go with the pins aren't making contact and need to be pushed in. Sometimes they don't seat well. I would start with that. You can also put a volt meter to it after plugging in to see if you're getting voltage out of it.

Originally Posted by Stevennkk
I followed this guide and got some 220d mirrors from the UK. swapped the springs for the motors and repinned everything and for some reason when I click the fold button only the drivers side opens and closes and I get nothing from the passenger side mirror. If I unplug the passenger mirror harness and apply 12v to the blue and green wires it works just fine when it’s installed on the car, but for some reason I get nothing when toggling the mirror control switch.

My car is a base model 2006 is350 with only the nav screen upgrade. I don’t have heated/cooled seats or memory seats so no control module there. I’m wondering if I need to swap my body control module to a newer one maybe? I’m stumped. Anybody with any input on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-23 | 07:49 PM
Stevennkk
2nd gear

Finally got a chance to look at it again. I’m getting no voltage on the pins on the car side of the harness. I have no idea what would cause that. Again drivers side is working flawlessly.

I get nothing from these 2 pins on the car side while the drivers side works fine. Worst case I could run wires from the drivers side all the way to the passengers side but I’d love to avoid that as much as possible.

Originally Posted by trujtru
I had the same initial problem. Either the pin from the mirror side isn't making contact with wiring harness or the pins need to be swapped. I'm going to go with the pins aren't making contact and need to be pushed in. Sometimes they don't seat well. I would start with that. You can also put a volt meter to it after plugging in to see if you're getting voltage out of it.
Old 07-18-24 | 06:40 PM
Inactive
Pit Crew

This is a pretty old thread but I recently did this mod. I also have a 2006 IS350 with only the nav unit. I ended up installing aftermarket mirror motors which I got off eBay for about $30 a piece, which by the way fit perfectly fine, and work completely fine, so you DO NOT need to buy some OEM mirrors and disassemble them for the motor. I was following the guide. Everything was going smoothly, and testing the folding on the drivers side worked completely fine. But when I got to the passenger side, there was no power to the 2 mirror motor wires on the passenger side. I was pretty mad, and got an electrician to just take a look at the wiring diagram for the car. He ended up telling me that the wire linking up the motor wires that go across the car, were just gone, they just weren't included when it was built. I don't believe that's a coincidence because Stevennkk also has a base model 2006 IS350 like I do, and he didn't receive power to those passenger side wires either.

I ended up having to run the wires across the car to make the passenger side motor work, and it was the biggest struggle possible. And since I wanted a clean installation, I didn't follow this thread of basically poking a hole in the rubber grommet in the door jam and running the wire through to the other side. To actually run it through the grommet, I ended up having to unclip the grommet, remove the scuff plate, kick panel, then I had to pull the carpet back, and unclip this electrical box (take pictures of how each 2 wire connector is orientated because they all fit in each others slot and getting them back to their original positions after disconnecting them is basically impossible.) and all of its connectors, then I had to find the hole where the door harness came through. Once you find the connectors, you have to unclip them, this is the absolute hardest park because there are 2 connectors, and 1 is shorter than the other. What makes this worse is that the shorter connector is behind the wall the wire harness travels down, so you have to really stick you hands in the hole and just feel around for the disconnect. But once you disconnect both harnesses, just pull them out of the car (you really have to finagle them out).

Once I pulled out both connectors, I saw that the harness was taped up to the grommet, so I removed the tape, and then fished my new motor wires through the grommet with a zip-tie (compress the grommet, and then tape your wires to the zip-tie, then pull it through). I also ran 3 more wires (when I say wires, I'm referring to those wires that are connected to each other in parallel to each other that you can pull apart) through the grommet for my interior door handle LED, my future turn signal mirrors, and an extra wire for whatever else I decide to do. These extra wires were added to both sides. I implore anyone who tries to do this to just add extra wires just in case you ever decide to add anything, because trust me, once you go through this process, you are not going to ever want to do it again.

At this point you're probably wondering about fishing the wires through the middle of the car, so I'm gonna tell you right now, that is the absolute easiest part of this whole procedure. So once you get your wire through the grommet, tape it back up like it was before, then shove the wire harness connectors back through the hole you pulled them out from, and put them back in the car. It will probably be easier to reconnect, but its still a pain to reconnect the shorter one behind the wall. So once you reconnect them, just fish the wire you added to the grommet for the mirrors behind the carpet, and just a coat hanger or something else to fish it through the middle of the car (you'll see a hole on the very top of the middle of the carpet, route the wire to the other side there)

Once you got the wire through to the other side, repeat the same exhausting process to get the wire fished through to the grommet on the side you didn't already work on.

As for the auto folding module though, I only got it to fold in the mirrors when the car is locked, I for some reason can't get them to unfold when the car starts, or unlocks. My guess is I have a bad module, bad unlock connection, or I'm using the wrong wire for the unlock signal. But after going through the whole ordeal of routing a wire through that grommet, it's gonna take me a while to want to remove the door panel and try to fix the unlock function of the mirror. For now I'm just happy with the mirrors folding on both sides, so I'll manually unfold them until I decide to redo the unlock function or buy a new module.