IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Refurbished Denso Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 02:02 PM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Refurbished Denso Alternators

I'm suspecting that my alternator might be on it's way out. I'm trying to source a brand new Denso but seems like all Denso stock in my region is out of stock. So the options I have is some brand new random brands made by local companies as well as some european companies that i've never heard of. I also have the option from one company that refurbishes Denso units and sells them and then you sell them back your old one for a small refund. Need some advice on what I should do? I'm worried about getting some rubbish one that can potentially fail quickly. Is a refurbished one worth it? will it be as good as new and what exactly is involved in refurbishment and how does it solve problem of why ours fail in the first place?
Old 12-29-20, 04:30 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
I'm suspecting that my alternator might be on it's way out. I'm trying to source a brand new Denso but seems like all Denso stock in my region is out of stock. So the options I have is some brand new random brands made by local companies as well as some european companies that i've never heard of. I also have the option from one company that refurbishes Denso units and sells them and then you sell them back your old one for a small refund. Need some advice on what I should do? I'm worried about getting some rubbish one that can potentially fail quickly. Is a refurbished one worth it? will it be as good as new and what exactly is involved in refurbishment and how does it solve problem of why ours fail in the first place?
I'm running the O'Reilly alternator. I have a cousin that works there. Total was around $100 bucks with employee discount. It has been running very well. Family members also run the same on different make and models as well. The O'Reilly looks identical to the Denso. I wouldn't be surprised if they get remanufactured by the same company.
Old 12-29-20, 07:34 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I'm running the O'Reilly alternator. I have a cousin that works there. Total was around $100 bucks with employee discount. It has been running very well. Family members also run the same on different make and models as well. The O'Reilly looks identical to the Denso. I wouldn't be surprised if they get remanufactured by the same company.
Reman vs Refurbished is big deal.

Refurb = maybe new bearings and anything broken gets replaced... So, burned/shorted diodes or regulator are replaced with OEM or aftermarket.

Remanufactured = All components meet OEM Spec. Any replacement components are OEM.

The risk is pretty specific to the electronics - diodes and regulator. That said, one could potentially rebuild it yourself with new OEM parts depending on what fails. Obviously not for everyone but possible for some.
Old 12-30-20, 11:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Remanufactured alternators are made to original specs. They are tested as well and it is a reasonable cost, well worth it.

An OEM Alternator will cost you several times than a remanufactured one.

The aftermarket gives you a warranty as well. If it does not fail during the warranty period on regular use, it would be safe to assume it may last like the OEM. YMMV.