IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 IS350 Power but no crank or start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 04:31 PM
ahayes01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS350 IS350 Power but no crank or start

I've spent two weeks trying to fix my 2006 IS350 and had no luck. I am running out of ideas!

A few weeks ago, I installed a brand new battery in my IS350 the wrong way (for about 2 seconds). I immediately noticed and disconnected it and installed it the right way. I blew the fusible link. For a short term fix until my fusible link arrived in the mail, I soldered the fusible link back together. the car worked fine.

My new fusible link came in the mail and I installed it (it was a pain in the rear end to pull the fusible link out). I took pictures of all the wiring before I unbolted the wires on the fusible link before I took it out to make sure I install the new one the same way. I installed it exactly as my pictures showed.

I put my battery back and now I get no crank at all. I show some lights on the dash. I can lock/unlock the doors but I just can't get the car to crank.

When I jump the starter relay while the car is in the ACC position, the car turns on (starter is good) but dash lights act like the car is still off.

I have no idea what to do next. Is this related to the fusible link installation? Is there a way to reset the ECU? Any thoughts on what could be going on?
Old 12-31-20, 11:38 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Possible battery cables are loose, and maybe check the following fuses;

Engine compartment location A;
Fuse # 4 (IG2MAIN 20A) , #8 (MPX-B 10A), #15 (Starter 30A),

Engine compartment location B;
Fuse # 4 (ALT-S 75A), #10 (IGA 10A), #11 (EFI 10A), #14 (F/PMP 25A), #15 (EFI 25A), #16 (INJ 20A),

Driver side interior location;
Fuse #16 (Security 75A), #18 (LH-IG 10A)

Passenger side interior location;
Fuse # 3 (OBD 75A), # 14 (AM2 15A)

Last edited by ELexis; 01-01-21 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 12:21 AM
ahayes01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed information, ELexis. I checked all the fuses you mentioned. Then after that, I checked all the fuses in all 4 compartments (2 under hood, driver side under panel, passenger side under panel. All the fuses are good.

Battery cable seems fine as well. As it cranks if I jump the starter relay. I also replaced the starter relay with a new one from a local auto parts store and nothing changed.

When I am in the car, and press the 'push to start' button. The following lights come on solid - break, check engine, ABS,P/S, Battery, and Tire Pressure. The 'AFS OFF' light is the only one which blinks on and off, the rest of the lights are solid. The instrument cluster doesn't illumine with the backlight like it usually does.

Any other suggestions on what I should try?
Old 01-01-21, 06:35 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Was going to suggest reviewing the following fuses as well however, you stated all fuses were checked / good;
Driver side interior location;
Fuse # 29 Engine A (ECU 80A)

Passenger side interior location;
Fuse # 8 (IGN 10A), # 9 (ACC 7.5A)

May be a relay however, unsure what each relay is for in a particular location (may state under fuse block cover);

Maybe a bad ground somewhere. Believe there may be a ground wire that connects from one of the battery cables to the frame located just in front of the firewall.
When vehicle is turned over/ cranks, it doesn't remain started correct? Would reversing the cables damaged the alternator in some way not allowing vehicle to start? Believe alternator only used to recharge battery when engine is running.

Old 01-04-21, 10:02 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Additional discussion about similar issue located here;Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-car-help.html

Reply # 45 by Kendawg: Corroded chassis ground I believe underneath the fuse block in the engine compartment
Old 01-05-21, 06:50 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ahayes01
Thanks for the detailed information, ELexis. I checked all the fuses you mentioned. Then after that, I checked all the fuses in all 4 compartments (2 under hood, driver side under panel, passenger side under panel. All the fuses are good.

Battery cable seems fine as well. As it cranks if I jump the starter relay. I also replaced the starter relay with a new one from a local auto parts store and nothing changed.

When I am in the car, and press the 'push to start' button. The following lights come on solid - break, check engine, ABS,P/S, Battery, and Tire Pressure. The 'AFS OFF' light is the only one which blinks on and off, the rest of the lights are solid. The instrument cluster doesn't illumine with the backlight like it usually does.

Any other suggestions on what I should try?
Originally Posted by ELexis
Additional discussion about similar issue located here;Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-car-help.html

Reply # 45 by Kendawg: Corroded chassis ground I believe underneath the fuse block in the engine compartment
Because it was running after the patch, it implies *something was not assembled correctly or has a bad connection. I hate to say it, but time to recheck the work done.

I lay odds a connection or ground is not making good contact..

That said, there is a chance the reverse polarity killed something else (latent failure), and it is just now showing up.

How are you testing the fuses? I'd suggest a power on test, and using a test lamp. Connect ground side of test lamp to ground, w key on, go down the fused side of each fuse and verify the lamp is lit. Repeat with test meter and it should show close to battery voltage. Hint - pull a fuse to see which side is hot with ignition on.

Although unlikely, there is a chance a relay was damaged in the exchange. With a few test leads and test lamp, this can be verified. Most have pin out on the back.

Hmmmm...... I don't currently have access to the procedure but I wonder if fuse bus replacement tripped the fuel pump relay circuit disabling various functions? That might be worth a read....
Old 01-06-21, 01:34 AM
Dealarr
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ahayes01
I've spent two weeks trying to fix my 2006 IS350 and had no luck. I am running out of ideas!

A few weeks ago, I installed a brand new battery in my IS350 the wrong way (for about 2 seconds). I immediately noticed and disconnected it and installed it the right way. I blew the fusible link. For a short term fix until my fusible link arrived in the mail, I soldered the fusible link back together. the car worked fine.

My new fusible link came in the mail and I installed it (it was a pain in the rear end to pull the fusible link out). I took pictures of all the wiring before I unbolted the wires on the fusible link before I took it out to make sure I install the new one the same way. I installed it exactly as my pictures showed.

I put my battery back and now I get no crank at all. I show some lights on the dash. I can lock/unlock the doors but I just can't get the car to crank.

When I jump the starter relay while the car is in the ACC position, the car turns on (starter is good) but dash lights act like the car is still off.

I have no idea what to do next. Is this related to the fusible link installation? Is there a way to reset the ECU? Any thoughts on what could be going on?
Wow, you soldered the fusible link together. Never tried to but hear people write its hardcase? Try handshake your ECM to the new fusible link. Short 4 and 13 pin its on CL here somewhere, switch car on ACC half an hour then try (do you have a wall to car battery charger/conditioner? Battery will die with most things switched on and ECM handshakin. It won't hurt to try. Easier to put the pins in with battery disconnected first to not short anything. I have a feeling that will fix your problem. Its your immobilizer in action currently.
Old 01-06-21, 04:26 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dealarr
Wow, you soldered the fusible link together. Never tried to but hear people write its hardcase? Try handshake your ECM to the new fusible link. Short 4 and 13 pin its on CL here somewhere, switch car on ACC half an hour then try (do you have a wall to car battery charger/conditioner? Battery will die with most things switched on and ECM handshakin. It won't hurt to try. Easier to put the pins in with battery disconnected first to not short anything. I have a feeling that will fix your problem. Its your immobilizer in action currently.

The following users liked this post:
Dealarr (01-07-21)