IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Higher revs and redlining before shifting after F-Sport exhaust ......is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21 | 10:17 AM
FSportBill
Driver

Default Higher revs and redlining before shifting after F-Sport exhaust ......is this normal?

I just had the Lexus F-Sport exhaust installed on my 2012 IS350 F-Sport thanks to the subliminal message in my head from some fellow forum members......anyway, LOVE!! the sound and now it feels like it revs higher when I floor it and actually redlines before shifting.....and right before it shifts is sounds like it "pops" just a little......almost like it should've shifted a millisecond before the little "pop" sound.......anyway, it definitely revs higher and redlines before it shifts when I floor it......which I don't always do but it sure is fun!!...LOL

any thoughts?....is this normal?.....does this mean it's making more HP?......should I NOT let it redline before shifting and let off the gas a little?.....just don't wanna "hurt" my baby!!

@redspencer @2013FSport

any and all comments are welcome!....thanks everyone
Old 01-09-21 | 11:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSportBill
I just had the Lexus F-Sport exhaust installed on my 2012 IS350 F-Sport thanks to the subliminal message in my head from some fellow forum members......anyway, LOVE!! the sound and now it feels like it revs higher when I floor it and actually redlines before shifting.....and right before it shifts is sounds like it "pops" just a little......almost like it should've shifted a millisecond before the little "pop" sound.......anyway, it definitely revs higher and redlines before it shifts when I floor it......which I don't always do but it sure is fun!!...LOL

any thoughts?....is this normal?.....does this mean it's making more HP?......should I NOT let it redline before shifting and let off the gas a little?.....just don't wanna "hurt" my baby!!

@redspencer @2013FSport

Maybe your ECU needs to adjust to a more free flowing exhaust. Try resetting the ECU by pulling the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes and let it relearn
Old 01-09-21 | 12:07 PM
FSportBill
Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Maybe your ECU needs to adjust to a more free flowing exhaust. Try resetting the ECU by pulling the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes and let it relearn
thanks for the advice!.....it's going into the mechanic on Wednesday to install the new RC-F LCA bushings and I also will be having him raise the rear coilovers just a little (.5") because of the new tires and I'm having all interior LED bulbs installed.......I'll tell him to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and reset the ECU.....

Last edited by FSportBill; 01-09-21 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21 | 03:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

@redspencer @2013FSport

Mine doesn't over-rev to redline in auto... Manually shifting at 7ooo to 72oo RPM, I have dipped into the rev limiter several times since exhaust install, so this change has opened up a bottle neck allowing more Rev's as it achieves peak torque.

Use the force to find your way to the paddle sooner!!!

Another observation is a bulk of the sooty carbon dumps out the right side and it does have a drone from 2.4 to 3.2K in 4th when pulling a grade... Not bad IMO...
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (01-09-21), FSportBill (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21 | 04:58 PM
FSportBill
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Mine doesn't over-rev to redline in auto... Manually shifting at 7ooo to 72oo RPM, I have dipped into the rev limiter several times since exhaust install, so this change has opened up a bottle neck allowing more Rev's as it achieves peak torque.

Use the force to find your way to the paddle sooner!!!

Another observation is a bulk of the sooty carbon dumps out the right side and it does have a drone from 2.4 to 3.2K in 4th when pulling a grade... Not bad IMO...

ok, I'll admit.....I've never used the paddle shifters......I guess I'll have to try them out while I "play" speed racer!....and yes, there is a very slight drone sound but I barely notice it as I'm too busy have a blast!.....sunroof/moonroof open.....stereo cranked......70 and sunny outside cruising PCH.......life is good........damn good!!
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-09-21)
Old 01-10-21 | 09:48 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

ok, I'll admit.....I've never used the paddle shifters......I guess I'll have to try them out while I "play" speed racer!....and yes, there is a very slight drone sound but I barely notice it as I'm too busy have a blast!.....sunroof/moonroof open.....stereo cranked......70 and sunny outside cruising PCH.......life is good........damn good!!
^^ Haha!
So you are saying that in auto, you feel it rev-limit and chop power? I guess that is possible and I wouldn't know it in my case as the limit is 72oo. That said, unless manually shifted up, the shift point in auto remains 6450/6500, but with the increased rev-limit, it flies under the radar never skipping a beat... SO, yours may need to adapt!
How many miles on this one, has the trans ever been serviced?