IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lost at the moment

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 10:57 PM
Nelsious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost at the moment

Hello fellow enthusiasts, im new to clublexus. I own a 2008 is250 and im having a fuel related issue, aside from bringing my vehicle to a dealer ive exhausted all resources and efforts to solve this problem on my own. Which is what has brought me here to you fine people. How shall i begin... Well it all started a few days ago a frigid yet splendidly sunny afternoon. I had just returned from autozone after buying a new air filter which i installed in autozone's parking lot. I arrive at my apartment and proceed to back in park my exceptionally gorgeous 2008 is250 awd with 110k miles, when i feel the car begin to shutter and the rpm's drop to the point where the car stalls out. I pop the car in neutral kick it back with my foot into the parking spot. I plug into the obd and get a p0087 and p0230, alrighty then, I pop the hood get to the fuse box and find that the fuel pump fuse is blown. No biggie, head to the basement grab a 25amp fuse, replace it and restart the vehicle. She started up with no hiccup, idled smoothly at 1000. I decide to let it run for a bit while i applied tire shine to my wheels and after about 5mins she shutters to a stall once again. I pop the hood and discover that the fuel pump fuse has blown again. Okay no biggie take my girlfriends car to autozone and purchase a fuel pump relay 58$. Replace the old relay and fuse then start the ole girl back up. Vroom took one or two presses of the push start but shes was back up and running once more still smooth at 1k rpm. Naturally i let it idle for abit as i have a smoke and before im half way done with my cig boom shutters and dies. Okay now my only thought is its gotta be the mfing fuel pump. Im far from a rich guy which why i purchased a lexus to begin with and not a Mercedes so im back at autozone purchasing a 270$ fuel pump which completely ruined my dinner plans but any who, i get back home pop out the old fuel pump and pop in the new one vroom smooth as a babies bottom... Or so i thought... 5mins in yup u guessed it, shutters to a stall. At this point im pretty upset as u can imagine. I do a little resource and find that this model had a recall on the fuel pressure sensor even though my symptoms didnt quite match those of a faulty fp sensor which ive heard would usually give u no start at all, i call my local lexus dealer anyway give them my vin and ask if theres any recalls that have not been resolved to which they reply "nope, you have no open recalls". This has become quite the nightmare for me at this point and i dont know what else it could be. I work as an electrician and consider myself to be decently mechanically inclined but im not rich by any stretch of the imagination and dont wanna get raped by dealership prices. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated and never forgotten🙏 thanks in advance
P.S. i do have alot of squirrels where i live could it be possible that they got to that circuit im honestly open to any possibilities at this point 🤷
Old 01-28-21, 09:04 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

As a Sparky, you know that fuse is a good lead. If it were my problem, the solution is no different than a residential breaker popping. Follow the lead.

With the fuse out/blown, ohm from fuse lead to relay pin that would go to the fuel pump to ground.
Confirm it doesn't go to ground. If good, follow the Fuel pump relay lead to the next junction.

I suggest you disconnect the fuel pump as it's a DC motor and will show as a short. Let me see if I can go a step further.... hold on.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
82ndABN (02-12-21), AMIRZA786 (01-28-21), Nelsious (02-10-21)
Old 01-28-21, 09:08 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Take a look here... an unexpected relay... see that anywhere?

Old 01-31-21, 02:06 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Ecm? I believe there are two circuits in it. One to control low fuel pressure and another for higher fuel pressure as demand increases. These can fail. I don’t know how to check them

ive had rocks in wiring harnesses before that wire through the casing and caused shorts that were a nightmare to diagnose. If you can’t find it ask around for a a highly skilled mechanic who specializes in electronics. Those guys are hard to find and worth a fortune when you do find them. They will
cost but will also save you A LOT of money

also I think you can pay a small sum like $29 and access tech stream for a day and get all the schematics you need from Lexus in order to see how to trouble shoot the codes and what to check for. It may be worth it for you. I have the manuals but I’m not sure about taking pictures and posting them fir others to use. It may be a copyright issues. Plus they are for 2006 IS250

The following users liked this post:
Nelsious (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 02:54 PM
Nelsious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gracias

2013fsport and winterturb, thank you both for taking time to respond it was greatly appreciated, well dnt i feel stupid apparently when i replaced the cone on the intake pipe i didnt secure it properly and it was makin contact with one of the wires on the fuel pump resister control module. Since it wasnt fastened down properly i imagine it was bouncing up and down on the wire everytime i hit a bump until the insulation gave way and caused my blown fuel pump fuse. Luckily i was able to return the fuel pump 🙏 thank god. After a little electrical tape and a better understanding of how the intake pipe should properly sit shes back on the road running smooth as always. Big thanks again guys 🍻
Old 02-12-21, 09:16 PM
82ndABN
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

. . .and alls well that ends well : )
Old 02-13-21, 08:02 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Well that was nice and easy fix. Glad to hear! And safe driving