IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please help me with my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 01:00 AM
kparado89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me with my steering wheel

Hello! First time posting so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. Can someone help me with a diagnosis?

I have a 2006 is250.

Last night I hit a nasty pot hole...my car still drove home fine. When I went to start it about 30 minutes later, my steering wheel seemed to be locked. After budging a little, I found out that my steering wheel only seems to turn when Im accelerating fast. My steering wheel hardly moves when I'm not accelerating or when I'm on brake.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Old 07-20-21, 12:01 AM
mallybandz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kparado89
Hello! First time posting so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. Can someone help me with a diagnosis?

I have a 2006 is250.

Last night I hit a nasty pot hole...my car still drove home fine. When I went to start it about 30 minutes later, my steering wheel seemed to be locked. After budging a little, I found out that my steering wheel only seems to turn when Im accelerating fast. My steering wheel hardly moves when I'm not accelerating or when I'm on brake.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
make sure battery cables are on tightly. i had the same problem where my steering wheel was locking up while i was turning. ever since i tightened the cables the problem never came back
Old 07-20-21, 06:20 AM
Jeeves250
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you clarify your statement a bit? "It only moves when I'm accelerating fast" makes it sound like it refuses to move at all unless you're pinning the throttle. Does it move if you're creeping along like in a parking lot or in traffic?

Is it just more difficult to turn (power steering not working properly), or does it feel like it's mechanically binding somewhere (control arms, steering linkage has been bent)?

If it's suddenly a bit more difficult to turn, it probably means something in your power steering system is compromised. It would be normal in this condition for the steering to feel quite stiff when stood still, but much easier even at a crawl. Rubber tires are quite grippy, and unless you're rolling, your arms have to overcome all of the friction of smooshing them against tarmac by themselves without the power assist.

There are a few things you could check for this: have a look at the fuses related to power steering to see if any of them are blown; have a look at the connectors on the rack to see if an electronics plug has come undone; have a look under the battery tray to see if the power steering computer looks like it came unplugged or is now damaged.

You could also grab a powerful flashlight and see if something looks obviously bent or displaced under the car on either side in front. The steering linkages are the thin arms that come out of some black accordion-looking things called "boots" that keep dust out of the ends of the steering rack.
Old 07-20-21, 09:22 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Exclamation

Sounds like that pot hole decommissioned electronic power steering (EPS) assist.

You need to get it inspected and see what broke! Be careful driving as kitty reflexes are disabled.