IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please Help! 2010 IS250 (Older luxury car) vs 2018 i30 (Newer entry-level car)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 12:34 AM
GuestDrive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! 2010 IS250 (Older luxury car) vs 2018 i30 (Newer entry-level car)

Hi all,

Very new here so hope this is OK to post.

I need a new car for work (I estimate doing only 10,000km per year), and have an option to buy a 2010 IS250 for about $7,000k (AUD) or a newer smaller car (e.g., an i30 2018) for $10,000-11,000k (AUD - prices are lower than expected thanks to family chipping in). The Lexus has done 150,000km thus far and been serviced very well (it’s my dads old car), whereas the i30 is only on about 40,000km. I only will be needing the car for work - and don’t need anything too fast by any means (bit of a ‘grandma driver’ here!).

Obviously the tough question here is whether to go for an older luxury car (Lexus), or a newer/less driven entry-level car (i30 or similar).

Again, hope it’s fine to post here... I think that my gut is wanting to go with the Lexus (probably why I’m turning to this specific group!), but in general any advice/thoughts would be really hugely appreciated!

Cheers! 🙂
Old 02-28-21, 03:24 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

The Lexus has many km/miles left on it and you know it's history. The i30 (Hyundai?) could be a gamble if you don't have its history as you do with the Lexus. Personally I would probably stick with the family IS250 just for what should be a more comfortable ride.
Old 02-28-21, 03:27 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

if you don't care about performance (despite describing yourself as a grandma driver), but do care about a luxurious experience and the lexus' mileage is low enough and it's been well-kept, then the lexus. if the opposite is true, then the hyundai.
Old 02-28-21, 06:14 AM
GuestDrive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
if you don't care about performance (despite describing yourself as a grandma driver), but do care about a luxurious experience and the lexus' mileage is low enough and it's been well-kept, then the lexus. if the opposite is true, then the hyundai.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! And sorry, this might be two really dumb questions - but 1) What exactly do you mean by ‘performance’, and 2) Would you tend to say that 150,000km (roughly 95,000 miles) is “low enough”? Thanks!
Old 02-28-21, 06:15 AM
GuestDrive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jer
The Lexus has many km/miles left on it and you know it's history. The i30 (Hyundai?) could be a gamble if you don't have its history as you do with the Lexus. Personally I would probably stick with the family IS250 just for what should be a more comfortable ride.
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate it!
Old 02-28-21, 11:21 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GuestDrive
Thanks so much for your thoughts! And sorry, this might be two really dumb questions - but 1) What exactly do you mean by ‘performance’, and 2) Would you tend to say that 150,000km (roughly 95,000 miles) is “low enough”? Thanks!
by performance i'm referencing the lackluster ability for the is250 to get out of its own way. it's slow, really slow.
Old 02-28-21, 01:26 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Get the Lexus HANDS down. It’s as reliable as a Corolla. Easy to work on as it doesn’t have the transverse mounted engine is far more reliable than Any Korean made car and if ever in an accident it will be far safer.

the IS250 has been classified by many as the best first car to buy a teenager. My sons both drive them (drove them, one out grew his too tall) and they are outstanding cars.

As for being slow and not being able to get out their own way that’s a bit of an exaggeration as they have plenty of power plenty of pick up for daily driving and are good on gas. Just remember to red line it now and again as these engines perform better when pushed now and again, much better actually.

the engine and tranny in the IS will outlast the i30 by a factor of 4 and is Much quicker than the i30 should you ever need to out accelerate a Patrol or Land Cruiser.

there is a specific IS thread. Maybe ask the chaps over there and see what kind of issues they are having with their cars. I think you’d be impressed.

Last edited by winterturb; 02-28-21 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 06:29 AM
GuestDrive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by winterturb
Get the Lexus HANDS down. It’s as reliable as a Corolla. Easy to work on as it doesn’t have the transverse mounted engine is far more reliable than Any Korean made car and if ever in an accident it will be far safer.

the IS250 has been classified by many as the best first car to buy a teenager. My sons both drive them (drove them, one out grew his too tall) and they are outstanding cars.

As for being slow and not being able to get out their own way that’s a bit of an exaggeration as they have plenty of power plenty of pick up for daily driving and are good on gas. Just remember to red line it now and again as these engines perform better when pushed now and again, much better actually.

the engine and tranny in the IS will outlast the i30 by a factor of 4 and is Much quicker than the i30 should you ever need to out accelerate a Patrol or Land Cruiser.

there is a specific IS thread. Maybe ask the chaps over there and see what kind of issues they are having with their cars. I think you’d be impressed.

Thanks so much for this!! I really appreciate your detailed advice/thoughts!
Old 03-02-21, 09:01 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GuestDrive
Thanks so much for this!! I really appreciate your detailed advice/thoughts!
happy to help. Really. I don’t think it should be any question as to which to take. For me I’d take the Lexus over a New i30. Seriously. I would. It’s a much better car