IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2021 Bumper Conversion on the 2is

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 09:47 PM
LanceK
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2021 Bumper Conversion on the 2is

I've been wanting to do the 2is to 3is front bumper conversion for a while now. However, recently I saw the 2021 bumper conversion made for the 2is. Has anyone does this yet?

I messaged the seller for a shipping quote from china and waiting to hear back. If it's not too ridiculous I might give it a shot.

Heres are the links:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...79f118c9Kzs9yj
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-facelif...MAAOSwAblgOBAC

The following users liked this post:
Mikeym718 (03-12-21)
Old 04-04-21, 03:11 AM
BionicMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this? I saw it as well on alibaba but wasnt sure if it was worth pursuing over 3is or GS conversion
Old 04-04-21, 12:21 PM
LanceK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BionicMike
Any updates on this? I saw it as well on alibaba but wasnt sure if it was worth pursuing over 3is or GS conversion
The estimated shipping time was 30-60 days and shipping costs were as much as the bumper itself. I figured it was not worth the time or money especially because I'm unsure of the quality and fitment.

Decided to go with the well known 3is conversion provided by drivenbystyle. They currently have a tax return sale and the bumper comes with the front lip. However, they are also on backorder, but was told that shipments are arriving on 04/15/21.

Last edited by LanceK; 04-04-21 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BionicMike (04-05-21)
Old 08-31-21, 11:17 AM
addy27190
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey @LanceK ,

Were you able to get your bumper conversion project completed from drivenbystyle ? how did it turn out ? have a 2011 without the sport package and a cracked bumper so thinking of doing it myself too.
Old 08-31-21, 11:52 AM
LanceK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by addy27190
Hey @LanceK ,

Were you able to get your bumper conversion project completed from drivenbystyle ? how did it turn out ? have a 2011 without the sport package and a cracked bumper so thinking of doing it myself too.
Yes, the bumper conversion has been completed. It turned out great. Drivenbystyle is a vendor for the ikon Motorsports bumper so all of the common modifications need to be done such as trimming the air ducts and bumper reinforcement. I also had to drill new holes into the top of the bumper to install the weather stripping as the pre-drilled holes did not line up completely. I’ll have a picture attached, excuse the dirty car.

Old 08-31-21, 12:15 PM
addy27190
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. The car looks slick 😎

I am not the best when it comes to being creative with these projects so if it’s not a direct bolt on bumper I would prefer a body shop do it. Any idea how much time it would take an honest body shop to make the modifications and fit the bumper in ?

also this might be a dumb question, but the bumper comes with the grille correct ?
Old 08-31-21, 04:53 PM
LanceK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by addy27190
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. The car looks slick 😎

I am not the best when it comes to being creative with these projects so if it’s not a direct bolt on bumper I would prefer a body shop do it. Any idea how much time it would take an honest body shop to make the modifications and fit the bumper in ?

also this might be a dumb question, but the bumper comes with the grille correct ?
No problem and thanks! I’m not too sure how much a body shop would charge, but it took me roughly 3-4 hours. In California the rate is usually around $100 an hour so I would estimate around that cost.

However, I am by no means a professional. I just thought I would rather give it a shot than pay a body shop especially with how expensive the bumper and paint was. If I were to do the job again, I could probably finish within a couple hours. A body shop might also not know what modifications are needed unless you tell them so that could extend the labor time.

And yes it comes with the grill, fog lights and front lip. You will need to purchase the front emblem though. You can take off the weather stripping from the old bumper. Mine was torn, so I just bought a new one.
Old 08-31-21, 05:14 PM
addy27190
Driver School Candidate

Definitely agree with everything you mentioned. Just don’t want to remove the bumper and then get stuck trying to put the new one back in. I have messed up many minor projects in the house (read I’m very impatient &#128514 to try something with the car.

Anyway, I have asked a body shop to provide a quote on just replacing the bumper with a 2IS OEM bumper along with the paint job. Also asked them if they would put the 3IS one in for me which they did say they could as long as it didn’t require big modifications. So now I gotta decide amongst all these options:

- Keep it stock and have the body shop do the job with a new 2IS bumper.
- Keep it stock and go with OEM 2IS bumper and do the install myself. Can put the remaining money saved on something else in the car.
- Go with the 3IS kit and pay the shop to do it.

As I type this, another altogether new option just came to my fidgety mind 😄 Put the car back to a clean condition with option 2 above and try and find a 2nd generation GS430, my car has really low miles for a 2011 at only 53k miles. Should be able to get good value for it I would think.

Anyway appreciate your inputs !