IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Bite When Breaking Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-21, 02:05 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Bite When Breaking Why?

I have a 2012 is250 convertible but not much action on that section of the forum. Car has 106k on it and hasn’t had many issues. In august 2020 I had 2 new calipers installed as the original ones were shot. I also did new pads and resurfaces rotors. the stopping power is much better but there’s no bite to the brakes at all. What could be the problem?
Old 03-21-21, 03:08 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

What pads did you put on? Who installed the calipers? Did you check to see if your brake fluid is at the appropriate level?
Old 03-21-21, 03:44 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Originally Posted by Patton6964
What pads did you put on? Who installed the calipers? Did you check to see if your brake fluid is at the appropriate level?
forget the name of the pads but I’ll check the receipt if it says so. A local shop did it (good people). Reason I changed calipers is they were frozen in the front lots of rust from previous owner. Brake fluid level is good. This was all work done in the front by the way.
Old 03-22-21, 06:35 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

The rears are notorious for seizing too. Just so we are all on the same page, when you say no bite, what does that mean?

With new calipers they *had to bleed the brakes. That doesn't mean they did it correctly. I manually pressure bleed mine using two people. When done, I repeat the process and add in this step. While being held down under pressure I tap the caliper from the bottom up repeatedly with a hard wood block. This action breaks stuck air bubbles free to exit through the bleeder into the hose. While under pressure, trapped air groups together unlike the other condition where people vacuum bleed and air scatters throughout the system.

The result of tapping under pressure and sealing the bleeder under pressure gives instant pedal response at all four corners. And when there is no air in the system, the pads retract properly reducing drag.

With pads that have good bite, the effect is instant grab and slowing with minimal input at the pedal.

Recap: guys that work alone often vacuum bleed and walk away calling it done. This results in poor pedal response which could be mistaken for poor initial bite.. Check and see how brakes were bled and confirm those rear calipers are not stuck either. i.e. pull off the highway using minimal brakes, and feel the wheel, caliper,, and lastly the rotor for heat. They should be cold. I say 3 steps at stuck calipers can lead to BURNED FINGER TIPS if the rotor is your first point of contact.

Make sense?
Old 03-22-21, 06:38 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Oh - and confirm they flushed the whole system too. Step 1 is a syringe and hose sucking all of the old fluid out of the MC.
Old 03-22-21, 07:40 AM
Haddaway91
Driver

Thanks for replying. When I say no bite I mean, if I tap on my brakes (whether I'm going 50 or 15 mph) it makes no difference, the car doesn't stop at all. When depressing the pedal I just feel lots of air, I really have to put force into it before the car stops.

Mechanic claimed to have bled brakes. Advised not to flush fluid because thats from the rear, and I wasn't touching them at the time so it doesn't pay to do it when it would have to be done anyway when changing rear pads and rotors.

2 Front Calipers installed
Re-surfaced rotors in front
New Front Pads
New Hardware
All set me back $1000........

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
The rears are notorious for seizing too. Just so we are all on the same page, when you say no bite, what does that mean?

With new calipers they *had to bleed the brakes. That doesn't mean they did it correctly. I manually pressure bleed mine using two people. When done, I repeat the process and add in this step. While being held down under pressure I tap the caliper from the bottom up repeatedly with a hard wood block. This action breaks stuck air bubbles free to exit through the bleeder into the hose. While under pressure, trapped air groups together unlike the other condition where people vacuum bleed and air scatters throughout the system.

The result of tapping under pressure and sealing the bleeder under pressure gives instant pedal response at all four corners. And when there is no air in the system, the pads retract properly reducing drag.

With pads that have good bite, the effect is instant grab and slowing with minimal input at the pedal.

Recap: guys that work alone often vacuum bleed and walk away calling it done. This results in poor pedal response which could be mistaken for poor initial bite.. Check and see how brakes were bled and confirm those rear calipers are not stuck either. i.e. pull off the highway using minimal brakes, and feel the wheel, caliper,, and lastly the rotor for heat. They should be cold. I say 3 steps at stuck calipers can lead to BURNED FINGER TIPS if the rotor is your first point of contact.

Make sense?
Old 03-22-21, 07:58 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
Thanks for replying. When I say no bite I mean, if I tap on my brakes (whether I'm going 50 or 15 mph) it makes no difference, the car doesn't stop at all. When depressing the pedal I just feel lots of air, I really have to put force into it before the car stops.

Mechanic claimed to have bled brakes. Advised not to flush fluid because thats from the rear, and I wasn't touching them at the time so it doesn't pay to do it when it would have to be done anyway when changing rear pads and rotors.

2 Front Calipers installed
Re-surfaced rotors in front
New Front Pads
New Hardware
All set me back $1000........
I just changed my rotors, and pads this weekend. I did'nt bleed the system. What I did was bed them in afterwards. They have a great bite initially. Using PowerStop Z23 pads.

1. Take it to another mechanic. Have them bleed the system. Sequence is as follows.

Rear Driver
Rear Pass
Front Pass
Front Driver

You may need to verify on the convertible. As to which rear side line is farthest from master cylinder.

2. Bed in the brakes. If they cut all the rotors. This needs to be done.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 03-22-21 at 11:32 AM.