IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rear lower brace quetion, 2012 2nd gen is350

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 08:37 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I tried to install the front strut bar and could not help to notice the driver side shock mount (tower) has a significant hump compared to the passenger side.

Which BTW, I was not able to install the strutbar, tried different ways to no success.

Slightly higher frame hump on driver side...

Old 04-08-21, 07:06 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

You left all the bolts loose and still couldn't fit it in there?
Old 04-10-21, 09:18 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 169 Posts

looks like the same issue that Cusco had with some of their batch of front strut bar cause I had the same issue w/ the Cusco front strut bar on my car that it damages the hood, I end up getting a TOM's front strut bar and problem solved. But you can dremel the Cusco one cuz it's got enough meat to do it but looks the Megan one you have might not have enough meat to dremel both holes on the mount or you can also get the RR racing one..

Old 04-12-21, 04:45 PM
JulezLexx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it still possible to get the F sport chassis brace? Or are we talking used?
Old 04-12-21, 05:06 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

It was a pain, and some trial and error... the bar was flipped from factory. Finally got it installed. There is a noticeable difference, steering seems more snappy, the car feels firm on turns.

​​​​
Old 04-12-21, 05:40 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan

It was a pain, and some trial and error... the bar was flipped from factory. Finally got it installed. There is a noticeable difference, steering seems more snappy, the car feels firm on turns.

​​​​

Yeah it looks like the brackets need to face out? Slant towards the fenders on each side..

Last edited by MikeFig82; 04-13-21 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 06:55 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JulezLexx
Is it still possible to get the F sport chassis brace? Or are we talking used?
Yes. Got mine from belllexusnorthscottsdale on ebay brand new a few weeks ago. I only mention the seller because they got that thing to me in half the estimated time.
Old 04-27-21, 03:57 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
There were no changes to the 2nd Generation IS rear subframe geometry. 2006-2015 (2006-2013 IS Sedan, 2008-2014 IS F, 2010-2015 IS C).

There are differences within those as far as models go (IS 250 isn't the same as IS 350, etc.), but if a brace is intended for a 2006 IS250, it will fit a 2014 IS F.

Jeff
I am just looking for clarification, on the front, would the 4 point brace redspencer has work on a is250, or my real question is would one made for is250 fit my is350?
Are the bolt locations in the same place?

Also does anyone know of a front tower brace that will fit over the engine cover without rubbing?
Old 04-27-21, 06:13 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by B00M3R
I am just looking for clarification, on the front, would the 4 point brace redspencer has work on a is250, or my real question is would one made for is250 fit my is350?
Are the bolt locations in the same place?
Bolt locations underneath are identical for both the IS250 and IS350.
The following users liked this post:
B00M3R (04-27-21)
Old 04-27-21, 06:22 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Perfect, thank you redspencer.
Old 09-30-21, 08:32 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Default front lower h-bracket

Decided to give it a try to the Megan Racing front lower H brace for the is250, according to MR.

It was somewhat of a direft fit with some minor modification. The driver side mount barely rub against the lca bushing housing.

Three bolts, one 24mm and I think the other 14mm, for each side.
​​​​

There is a significant difference between stock and aftermarket.

Had to dremmel, shave off some metal to the left side and no more rubbing, perfect fit. Am not sure why Megan Racing does not include compatible for is350.

When mounting, tighten in increments a little for each side verifying the brace sits even.

is not a perfect fit, but does fine.

Results:

took it for a drive and just wow, significant improvement vs stock braces. The car holds its line flawlessly. I can now point the car and it will stay true with confidence. I seriously never thought the brace was going to be such a big improvement. Driving on a straight line also feels less jittery I guess is the word. Before could hear the car flex, it is planted on the road. I give this mod a thumbs up, do recommend.
​​

Last edited by GrizzlyMan; 09-30-21 at 08:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GrizzlyMan:
AMIRZA786 (10-09-21), bbaugher47 (10-01-21), redspencer (10-11-21), Yodog (10-06-21)
Old 10-09-21, 09:39 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Default MR rear lower brace set (w pictures)

Bought the Megan Racing rear lower brace set for about $85 shipped.

FedEx like always, two days late.

MR braces

NIP

Removed the thin OEM brackets, side by side comparison

Had to cut the bent end of each MR brace because there is nothing to bolt, but a hole with a grommet. Checked with a long stick and there is no thread inside,hollow chassis subframe.

The internal has significant reinforcement. I tried bending the brace/ bracket and could not, and is not heavy at all.

Is recommended to use washers for all bolts. The smaller left and right brackets uses the stock bolts, but recommended going to the hardware store and buy high strength steel bolts for the long center brace that goes across.

Had to cut a little of the plastic molding on each side, not much.

Nice and tighty

Recommend purchase 8-1.25 x 30 bolts

* exhaust clearance
Drove it and did not hit even during spirited driving

Have been doing each mod one step at a time to see if any improvement.

The car glides, very subtle ride.
Is strange, the vehicle feels as if it was lowered, is luxury sport suspension. During sharp turns, stays true, minimum body roll.
Verdict- this mod is a must

Old 10-09-21, 11:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Bought the Megan Racing rear lower brace set for about $85 shipped.

FedEx like always, two days late.

MR braces

NIP

Removed the thin OEM brackets, side by side comparison

Had to cut the bent end of each MR brace because there is nothing to bolt, but a hole with a grommet. Checked with a long stick and there is no thread inside,hollow chassis subframe.

The internal has significant reinforcement. I tried bending the brace/ bracket and could not, and is not heavy at all.

Is recommended to use washers for all bolts. The smaller left and right brackets uses the stock bolts, but recommended going to the hardware store and buy high strength steel bolts for the long center brace that goes across.

Had to cut a little of the plastic molding on each side, not much.

Nice and tighty

Recommend purchase 8-1.25 x 30 bolts

* exhaust clearance
Drove it and did not hit even during spirited driving

Have been doing each mod one step at a time to see if any improvement.

The car glides, very subtle ride.
Is strange, the vehicle feels as if it was lowered, is luxury sport suspension. During sharp turns, stays true, minimum body roll.
Verdict- this mod is a must
I'm curious why this over the F-Sport rear chassis brace. That installed on my IS350 easily with no modifications (direct fit), and the results are pretty much minimum body roll
Old 10-10-21, 12:55 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

The two lower rear braces are not included in the F-Sport mid bracket, it is a different area, MR is rear and center center section, while F-Sport is only middle of car.
F-Sport is $315 and a heavier piece, MR was $85 shipped.

Figs sells the two smaller brackets for $150, MR sells the two rear brackets plus a center plate for almost half the price of Figs. All it took was some minor modification of cutting the extra angular piece and works the same.

Yes, it is true, is not the same as F-Sport, but that also applies to the cost as well. It weights much less. I gave it a try and noticed significant improvement and posted it to share to others if dont want to spend the extra cash and still stiffen the chassis a little more. I read notes of people who have removed the F-Sport brace because it scrapes too much. The MR was just installed, so I do not know yet if it will happen when driving the car around town. And I dont know, the three pieces are not too intrusive, not a giant plate under the car.

So far I have MR front upper and lower brace and mid with lower rear brace, handling and driving dynamics has significantly improved. My next one is the ISF LCAs.

If I do not like them on the long run, take the hit on the spent 85 dollars and buy the blue cross brace. If any is the center section, because the two smaller braces is a different area of the chassis.
Old 10-10-21, 01:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

The two lower rear braces are not included in the F-Sport mid bracket, it is a different area, MR is rear and center center section, while F-Sport is only middle of car.
F-Sport is $315 and a heavier piece, MR was $85 shipped.

Figs sells the two smaller brackets for $150, MR sells the two rear brackets plus a center plate for almost half the price of Figs. All it took was some minor modification of cutting the extra angular piece and works the same.

Yes, it is true, is not the same as F-Sport, but that also applies to the cost as well. It weights much less. I gave it a try and noticed significant improvement and posted it to share to others if dont want to spend the extra cash and still stiffen the chassis a little more. I read notes of people who have removed the F-Sport brace because it scrapes too much. The MR was just installed, so I do not know yet if it will happen when driving the car around town. And I dont know, the three pieces are not too intrusive, not a giant plate under the car.

So far I have MR front upper and lower brace and mid with lower rear brace, handling and driving dynamics has significantly improved. My next one is the ISF LCAs.

If I do not like them on the long run, take the hit on the spent 85 dollars and buy the blue cross brace. If any is the center section, because the two smaller braces is a different area of the chassis.
Yes, I took a second a look and it's a different brace, you could probably install these in addition to the F-Sport bracket. In my experience aftermarket was usually way more stiff than I want, but if these work, thanks for posting as they are a cheaper alternative

Quick Reply: rear lower brace quetion, 2012 2nd gen is350