IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 Nav Screen Issue - Please save me

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 04:34 PM
KimballG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS350 Nav Screen Issue - Please save me

I randomly stumbled upon this issue when I started my car one morning about 4 weeks ago. I haven’t found anyone else online with this issue and I’m absolutely stumped. I ordered a brand new LCD and digitizer unit through Tanin and I just went in and replaced it, plugged everything back in and the exact same issue is still occurring. There are random pixels messing up and none of the screens load properly, as well as random touch screen buttons getting pressed, mainly on the climate control screen.

Please somebody save me this is driving me nuts, if anyone knows anything I’d greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-09-21, 07:43 PM
Armadous1
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Get some electrical connector cleaner and clean the electrical connectors. See if that make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
KimballG (04-10-21)
Old 04-09-21, 11:13 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

looks like lcd connection problems just like with iphone, clean the connectors
The following users liked this post:
KimballG (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 10:19 AM
KimballG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Armadous1
Get some electrical connector cleaner and clean the electrical connectors. See if that make a difference.
Do you happen to mean the ribbon cables attaching the LCD to the motherboard or all the connectors that plug into the back of the Nav/AC unit?
Old 04-10-21, 11:26 AM
Armadous1
Driver

Originally Posted by KimballG
Do you happen to mean the ribbon cables attaching the LCD to the motherboard or all the connectors that plug into the back of the Nav/AC unit?
Start with the actual plugs and of no difference a light spray on the ends of the ribbon cable with light pressure coming out of the can. Allow a few seconds to fully dry
Old 04-10-21, 02:48 PM
KimballG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Armadous1
Start with the actual plugs and of no difference a light spray on the ends of the ribbon cable with light pressure coming out of the can. Allow a few seconds to fully dry
Just went ahead and took it all apart and cleaned all the connections as well as the ribbon cables, unfortunately the same exact problem still persists once I plugged it back into my car. Any other ideas by chance?

edit: another thing to note that may or may not help in figuring out the issue; The screen will occasionally restart itself when I turn on the climate controls.

Last edited by KimballG; 04-10-21 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-10-21, 05:42 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 144 Posts

Just went ahead and took it all apart and cleaned all the connections as well as the ribbon cables, unfortunately the same exact problem still persists once I plugged it back into my car. Any other ideas by chance?

edit: another thing to note that may or may not help in figuring out the issue; The screen will occasionally restart itself when I turn on the climate controls.
That edit makes me think you have a short in the wiring somewhere.
Old 04-11-21, 12:05 PM
Armadous1
Driver

Run a continuity check on the wiring. Definitely a short
Old 04-11-21, 12:55 PM
KimballG
Driver School Candidate

I will go ahead and run a continuity check, but could a short in the wiring really just happen out of the blue? I've owned the car for 2 years with 0 issues and one day this randomly occurs, is that really possible?
Old 04-12-21, 11:38 AM
Armadous1
Driver

Question

I will go ahead and run a continuity check, but could a short in the wiring really just happen out of the blue? I've owned the car for 2 years with 0 issues and one day this randomly occurs, is that really possible?
Absolutely. You could run synthetic oil and change it every 1,000 miles and when you take your car in you puzzled why your problem are coming from cam lobe wear. Sitting there your like how is this possible I do this and that.

It's a car. Road terrain and bumps is different for everyone. Along with a host of different issue. Also if you had your dash replaced under the door dash and door panel warranty campaign it's quite possible a fellow the pinched wires.

Happened at my dealer. Although the wires a tech now no longer here at my dealer pinched the tpms wires. Talk about annoying problem for a customer. Poor guy thought he was low on pressure all the time.
Old 04-12-21, 03:17 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default yr

what year is the vehicle?

Maybe you leave the car outside and there could be water leaking, or from the AC or system now that you say whenever it is turned on it reboots, condensation etc.

Simply the unit is bad... I bought once a Dell tower, on its first reboot, hard drive died. Had a Nikon D70, out of nowhere it will charge thru the camera charge port or transfer data, had to remove memory card and battery. Unfortunately it just happens.
​​​​

Last edited by GrizzlyMan; 04-12-21 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-14-21, 05:15 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Good morning @KimballG
I'm sorry to hear the LCD did not fix your issue. We have seen this happen with bad motherboards which result in replacing the whole unit. If you would like a quote on a replacement unit please send us a PM.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 04-22-21, 09:55 PM
eframsal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an extra unit lying around as a backup I could sell.