IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sound/Amp not working after trying everything

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 02:26 AM
Dexter1738
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound/Amp not working after trying everything

So my sound cut off on my is250 about two months ago, figured it was because of snow. Got the double thump everytime I power on the radio. So I tried warming it up on its own on a hot day and still not working. Then I removed it and put it under the sun for 5 hours, it got really hot, still not working making double thump sound .

Then I hair dried it until it was super hot, like it came out of the oven, still not working and making the sound. So I bought another amp from eBay, and plugged it in thinking it’ll finally be good. And then no sound, no audio and volume didn’t even go up or down at all. At this point I’m furious, but I saw another video saying unplugging battery can do the trick, made sense for a new amp. Tried doing that and the new amp still didn’t work, friend suggested looking into fuses, did that, they looked fine, and still didn’t work after removing and plugging in. So I returned that amp. Now it’s warm out and barely rains and my old amp still makes the double thump regardless. I leave it out in the trunk and not in the original spot btw, so it’s really dry and has been for a while.

It’s honestly so frustrating because I like like listening to music while driving and it’s super irritating that I’ve tried everything and I still can’t listen to music, makes me very upset at the car and I don’t even want it sometimes lol.

but I’m thinking it could be the amp I bought was a dud, may try another one, or there’s something wrong with my speakers or car wiring. Also forgot to mention I removed the center console to look at the plugs and everything seemed fine and the dash got messed up in the process, made me even more upset lol.

but ultimately if any of you had this problem, was there a different solution to it than hair dryer, new amp for anyone? Something within the speakers?

let me know, appreciate any insight
Old 04-19-21, 05:56 PM
JamesShar
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dexter1738
So my sound cut off on my is250 about two months ago, figured it was because of snow. Got the double thump everytime I power on the radio. So I tried warming it up on its own on a hot day and still not working. Then I removed it and put it under the sun for 5 hours, it got really hot, still not working making double thump sound .

Then I hair dried it until it was super hot, like it came out of the oven, still not working and making the sound. So I bought another amp from eBay, and plugged it in thinking it’ll finally be good. And then no sound, no audio and volume didn’t even go up or down at all. At this point I’m furious, but I saw another video saying unplugging battery can do the trick, made sense for a new amp. Tried doing that and the new amp still didn’t work, friend suggested looking into fuses, did that, they looked fine, and still didn’t work after removing and plugging in. So I returned that amp. Now it’s warm out and barely rains and my old amp still makes the double thump regardless. I leave it out in the trunk and not in the original spot btw, so it’s really dry and has been for a while.

It’s honestly so frustrating because I like like listening to music while driving and it’s super irritating that I’ve tried everything and I still can’t listen to music, makes me very upset at the car and I don’t even want it sometimes lol.

but I’m thinking it could be the amp I bought was a dud, may try another one, or there’s something wrong with my speakers or car wiring. Also forgot to mention I removed the center console to look at the plugs and everything seemed fine and the dash got messed up in the process, made me even more upset lol.

but ultimately if any of you had this problem, was there a different solution to it than hair dryer, new amp for anyone? Something within the speakers?

let me know, appreciate any insight
best i can do for you is share my expeirence with this amp nonsense we are forced to deal with. Make sure you did not melt anywires while heating it up, always disconnect the amp to heat up. The first time it happended to me i am took it out and hair dried it, boom it worked. Week later rain, stopped working. Took it out but this time it did not turn on after a hair drier. I grabbed some electrical cleaner spray sprayyed the inside of the connects and where it plugs into. Worked perfectly because it drys out any moisture in the plugs. Now if you get ut working i flex sealed the hole inside of my trunk to prevent it from happening again but it did anyway. So i saw a fellow club lexus member say they wrapped it in a towel and never had a problem again so i wrapped it in a baby blanket and never had the problem again after 3 months. Get it working and buy it my pillow and wrap her up like a new born lol
Old 04-20-21, 12:39 PM
Dexter1738
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JamesShar
best i can do for you is share my expeirence with this amp nonsense we are forced to deal with. Make sure you did not melt anywires while heating it up, always disconnect the amp to heat up. The first time it happended to me i am took it out and hair dried it, boom it worked. Week later rain, stopped working. Took it out but this time it did not turn on after a hair drier. I grabbed some electrical cleaner spray sprayyed the inside of the connects and where it plugs into. Worked perfectly because it drys out any moisture in the plugs. Now if you get ut working i flex sealed the hole inside of my trunk to prevent it from happening again but it did anyway. So i saw a fellow club lexus member say they wrapped it in a towel and never had a problem again so i wrapped it in a baby blanket and never had the problem again after 3 months. Get it working and buy it my pillow and wrap her up like a new born lol
  • Interesting, what type of electrical cleaner spray did you use, anything specific? Imma try that asap
Old 04-20-21, 02:48 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

FWIW: water is not the absolute killer. It's the materials in the water that can be conductive and/or corrosive.

As a component level tech, you should quit powering it on and have someone look it over.

It likely has internal corrosion which is common with electricity and varying combinations of oxidizers in the water... like if the quarter panel vent is bad AND it's driven on salty winter roads AND that water was in there, it needs way more help than a solvent bath.

As for the other one not working, what fuses were inspected and were the connectors cleaned/inspected before it was tossed in there? Does this unit have Nav?
Old 04-20-21, 07:04 PM
JamesShar
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dexter1738
  • Interesting, what type of electrical cleaner spray did you use, anything specific? Imma try that asap
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=asc_df_B000BXOGNI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198054130793&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10711824357747926969&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004868&hvtargid=pla-379166032540&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=asc_df_B000BXOGNI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198054130793&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10711824357747926969&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004868&hvtargid=pla-379166032540&psc=1

can be found at local auto store .
Old 04-21-21, 06:26 PM
Dexter1738
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport;[url=tel:11037199
11037199[/url]]FWIW: water is not the absolute killer. It's the materials in the water that can be conductive and/or corrosive.

As a component level tech, you should quit powering it on and have someone look it over.

It likely has internal corrosion which is common with electricity and varying combinations of oxidizers in the water... like if the quarter panel vent is bad AND it's driven on salty winter roads AND that water was in there, it needs way more help than a solvent bath.

As for the other one not working, what fuses were inspected and were the connectors cleaned/inspected before it was tossed in there? Does this unit have Nav?
Yes it has nav, and for the other amp, the radio fuses were inspected. Also, taking it to someone was something I was gonna do, I took the amp to a couple audio auto places, and none of them said they fix amps. They said to send it to United radio in NY, which I might end up doing. Also yes, it was driven in the snow(awd car what can go wrong) and that’s when the amp stopped working, so you’re probably right about the salt/water, it’s possible.
Old 04-21-21, 06:27 PM
Dexter1738
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JamesShar;[url=tel:11037342
11037342]https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Ele...66032540&psc=1

can be found at local auto store .

thanks, will try this Tommorrow