IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Two (I think related) electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 07:10 AM
paully21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two (I think related) electrical problems

So, this just started happening a few weeks ago.

If I touch the locked door handle (drivers side) with either remote in my pocket, I hear the lock clicking to unlock the car (five times) although the door is unlocked on the first click (that is, there are another four soft clicks of an unlocking attempt being made) with no alarm tone. Similar on the passenger side, the same five clicks with the first actually unlocking the door, but on the passwnger side the alarm tone (beeping) will beep 10 times. Also, if I unlock the doors with the remote, then get in the car, just before the car starts I will hear the beeping of the alarm.

And, then there is this... The driver's side window switch will not retain its memory once the engine is turned off. How it usually goes is this...I get in the car (after all the clicking/beeping), I start driving somewhere, I go to roll down the window by just pressing the switch once (for full-auto) and it only goes down a bit and stops. Then I reprogram the switch and it works fine while I am driving.

All other windows retain their programming except the driver's side.

I LOVE this car, but this is so annoying.

Please help!

Thanks

Old 05-18-21, 11:26 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by paully21
So, this just started happening a few weeks ago.

If I touch the locked door handle (drivers side) with either remote in my pocket, I hear the lock clicking to unlock the car (five times) although the door is unlocked on the first click (that is, there are another four soft clicks of an unlocking attempt being made) with no alarm tone. Similar on the passenger side, the same five clicks with the first actually unlocking the door, but on the passwnger side the alarm tone (beeping) will beep 10 times. Also, if I unlock the doors with the remote, then get in the car, just before the car starts I will hear the beeping of the alarm.

And, then there is this... The driver's side window switch will not retain its memory once the engine is turned off. How it usually goes is this...I get in the car (after all the clicking/beeping), I start driving somewhere, I go to roll down the window by just pressing the switch once (for full-auto) and it only goes down a bit and stops. Then I reprogram the switch and it works fine while I am driving.

All other windows retain their programming except the driver's side.

I LOVE this car, but this is so annoying.

Please help!

Thanks
Let's play discovery! Open the drivers door and between the two hinges is the mass of wires into that door. Grab the bundle and push is, pull it, twist it, repeat in reverse order. Maybe even open and close the door a few times. Repeat above.

Now go for drive and take note if anything changed.

Suspect wire damage in the bundle but just guessing. How many miles on it, city use or highway use, has the door switch ever had something toxic spill in it like Coke /Pepsi?

Old 05-19-21, 05:20 AM
paully21
Driver School Candidate

Default Strange results

So, I did the wiggle the wire bundle, however, there is now another variable in play. Yesterday, when I went for the wire wiggle, it was raining outside (the car is outside)...I noticed that the door handle issue/alarm beeping was completely gone. I can't be sure if that is because of the wiggle or the wetness of the door handle/car.

So, when we get a dry day, I'll repeat the test and post the results.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-21, 10:00 AM
paully21
Driver School Candidate

Well, my car is all better now. Sunny days and still no issues. I guess the wiggling of the wire bundle did the trick.

I guess now I need to investigate the contents of that wire bundle.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-21, 12:29 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by paully21
Well, my car is all better now. Sunny days and still no issues. I guess the wiggling of the wire bundle did the trick.

I guess now I need to investigate the contents of that wire bundle.

Thanks!

If you're the DIY kind, your going to need a schematic if that action really changed it. TIS or alldatadiy.com are options.

With the schematic and the battery out, door panel off, trace the switch connections to their wire colors and see what you find...

Quesions: is this car in hot sunny state and how many miles and what is its daily use? Short trips? I'm just saying, this isn't a normal failure mode for Lexus Toyota vehicles.