IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ashtray/insert Phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 07:53 PM
BertoISF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ashtray/insert Phone mount

I posted this up on the ISF facebook page but posts get buried and aren't as helpful overtime. Also I realized this may help other 2IS owners.

Generally speaking I haven't found a phone mount I liked for my ISF. Not looking to debate it in here. I don't like stick on ones because of the risk to damaging the dash. Don't like vent ones because they can damage the vent. Suction cup mounts just look terrible. But in general any mount at eye level makes the phone a projectile in an accident which means you could eat a Samsung sandwich. I usually get the proclip mounts but for the 2IS it gets into the passenger's leg space, was not a fan.

I wanted something that wasn't permanent or easily reversed. I was dreaming up of making a mount for the Ashtray. The ashtray is in a good spot, its near a power source, and is removable. If I go to a car show I can just pop the ash tray out and close the cover door.

I did a few iterations of this design, and got it 'just right', position wise. This is my first time playing with CAD, so it was a bit of a learning curve. Its a modification of a design I found online for another car. So if someone wants to clean it up and make it prettier I wouldn't be upset. I'm hoping to put it up on Thingiverse so anyone with a 3D printer can make their own.

Some key discussion points:
- The ball is 17mm
- I had to add some small adhesive foam to the side of the ashtray (towards the bottom) to keep it from shaking.
- The screws have to be pretty low profile. For the top one you need to make 2 different sized holes. The first one goes through both layers of the ashtray and is the size of the screw threads. The other one is bigger and allows the head of the screw to be recessed. If you don't do this the ashtray won't re-install.
- Because i was playing around with different designs I made the holes a bit bigger than they needed to be and after a short drive the screws worked loose. So i added some lock washers and used a command strip/adhesive foam to keep it from moving. I might pick up a new ashtry to address this since the design is now final.
- I may end up painting it with some matte black paint for aesthetics.

The following 2 users liked this post by BertoISF:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-21), B00M3R (05-19-21)
Old 05-20-21, 08:42 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Like you, I was searching everywhere for a phone holder for my IS350 that doesn't stick, doesn't block air vents, and or use suction cups that tend to melt and or come off at the wrong time, and actually secures your phone in place. Because of the way the 2IS is designed, I went through a bunch. The best IMHO, and I stress again, my opinion is the holder from ProClip USA. Simple, easy to mount, doesn't take up too much space. Not cheap, you have to buy two separate parts, but worth every penny:

Although I like your phone holder, I have a USB-C cable that comes through a hole drilled in my ashtray area routed from my GROM VLINE VL2 (so I can use Android Auto), so yours would not work for me. I have a thread on this if anyone is interested...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-20-21 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 06:22 AM
pluto459
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a cd mounted one and works great for 8.00
Old 05-21-21, 06:53 AM
BertoISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by pluto459
I have of of those in my truck. I find it's not super sturdy and it spreads/deforms the CD opening over time.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Like you, I was searching everywhere for a phone holder for my IS350 that doesn't stick, doesn't block air vents, and or use suction cups that tend to melt and or come off at the wrong time, and actually secures your phone in place. Because of the way the 2IS is designed, I went through a bunch. The best IMHO, and I stress again, my opinion is the holder from ProClip USA. Simple, easy to mount, doesn't take up too much space. Not cheap, you have to buy two separate parts, but worth every penny:

Although I like your phone holder, I have a USB-C cable that comes through a hole drilled in my ashtray area routed from my GROM VLINE VL2 (so I can use Android Auto), so yours would not work for me. I have a thread on this if anyone is interested...
no reason you couldn't run the same USB cable to this. It's the same location. Itd actually be cleaner since you'd reduce the amount of exposed cable. I generally like pro clip mounts but it goes way into the passenger side compartment to be viable.
Old 05-21-21, 08:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pluto459
I bought 3 of them, tried different adapters with different thicknesses. The whole thing would shoot out of the CD holder after a few weeks while driving, and eventually wouldn't stay more than 5 minutes. All three ended up in the garbage. No thank you, I'll save my $8 bucks for lunch. Not sure if $8 bucks would buy you lunch these days though...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-21-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 08:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BertoISF
I have of of those in my truck. I find it's not super sturdy and it spreads/deforms the CD opening over time.

no reason you couldn't run the same USB cable to this. It's the same location. Itd actually be cleaner since you'd reduce the amount of exposed cable. I generally like pro clip mounts but it goes way into the passenger side compartment to be viable.
My 17 year old son is tall with long legs, and he moves around a lot. I've had multiple passengers in the front seat. Doesn't get in the way. I guess if I sat a extra wide person it would be a different story. Anyway I've had it about a year, and I've yet to have someone knock the phone out of the holder. It can be slanted at various angles, so it's not just static in one place. But I like your holder, I wouldn't be opposed to getting one of those, but I like where the ProClip mounts over mounting in the ashtray

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-21-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-22-21, 02:07 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this on Thingiverse.
Old 05-22-21, 07:04 PM
BertoISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Protholl
Looking forward to seeing this on Thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4866563

Here you go!
Old 05-23-21, 06:48 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Going to give it a go with my flashforge finder. It barely fits but I'm crossing my fingers that with supports it will print. Thank you!
Old 10-22-23, 08:19 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

My 17 year old son is tall with long legs, and he moves around a lot. I've had multiple passengers in the front seat. Doesn't get in the way. I guess if I sat a extra wide person it would be a different story. Anyway I've had it about a year, and I've yet to have someone knock the phone out of the holder. It can be slanted at various angles, so it's not just static in one place. But I like your holder, I wouldn't be opposed to getting one of those, but I like where the ProClip mounts over mounting in the ashtray
i was wondering if its an issue with passenger leg. if not, as you said, I will order one today
Old 10-23-23, 08:17 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My simple solution to mount my Iphone through the CD slot mount, since I do not use CDs anymore. Every now and then you have to tighten it up, not a big deal.

Last edited by mandyfig; 10-23-23 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 10-23-23, 09:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
i was wondering if its an issue with passenger leg. if not, as you said, I will order one today
Hello there. Well sold the car last year, but I can tell you it's the best phone holder I've ever had. Never had an issue with passengers. Tried a lot of phone holders, and all ended up just getting junked except this one
Old 10-24-23, 09:18 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Hello there. Well sold the car last year, but I can tell you it's the best phone holder I've ever had. Never had an issue with passengers. Tried a lot of phone holders, and all ended up just getting junked except this one
Thank you kindly for your response. I will order one today.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (10-24-23)
Old 11-01-23, 04:30 PM
UncleDenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vent ones truly damaging the went, that's 101%, and as we know our vents are expensive (considering minjmum price of $100 for just the vents is crazy)