IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MAF sensor and vehicle use vs service interval

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 11:46 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Thumbs up MAF sensor and vehicle use vs service interval

I'm writing to say that how you use your vehicle matters. Mine has an easy life typically getting started twice a day to log about 27 miles each way. Obviously there are two cool down periods and that's what I wish to talk about.

When the engine is running, the MAF sensor has filtered air flowing through it. When the engine is shut off, combustion fumes from open intake valves leak back through the intake and TB to the MAF, as well the vent through the valve cover to the intake allow oil vapors from the crankcase and valve cover back through the PCV plumbing into the intake pipe where the MAF is located. Over time, the combustion gasses and oil fumes build up on the MAF sensor slowing its reaction time and reducing its accuracy. Engine driveability and stability depend on good data from this sensor.

I clean the MAF sensor roughly every 9 months and even then, I noticed oddities in exhaust tone, shifts, idle stability, high idle RPM, and cold start misfires.
Cleaning the MAF corrected all of the above items!

Point: if your vehicle, 2IS or other does a lot of short trips, a regular MAF cleaning may improve minor driveability complaints.

The actual cleaning takes less than 2 minutes. R&R is 2 screws and a connector. It takes longer to remove the engine covers than to do the work. Going forward I will likely perform the task every other oil change or 10,000 miles.

Also, don't hesitate to backflush the charcoal mesh in the filter housing with MAF cleaner...

#2IS Maintenance
The following users liked this post:
DJPsystems (05-24-21)
Old 06-01-21, 05:55 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I'm writing to say that how you use your vehicle matters. Mine has an easy life typically getting started twice a day to log about 27 miles each way. Obviously there are two cool down periods and that's what I wish to talk about.

When the engine is running, the MAF sensor has filtered air flowing through it. When the engine is shut off, combustion fumes from open intake valves leak back through the intake and TB to the MAF, as well the vent through the valve cover to the intake allow oil vapors from the crankcase and valve cover back through the PCV plumbing into the intake pipe where the MAF is located. Over time, the combustion gasses and oil fumes build up on the MAF sensor slowing its reaction time and reducing its accuracy. Engine driveability and stability depend on good data from this sensor.

I clean the MAF sensor roughly every 9 months and even then, I noticed oddities in exhaust tone, shifts, idle stability, high idle RPM, and cold start misfires.
Cleaning the MAF corrected all of the above items!

Point: if your vehicle, 2IS or other does a lot of short trips, a regular MAF cleaning may improve minor driveability complaints.

The actual cleaning takes less than 2 minutes. R&R is 2 screws and a connector. It takes longer to remove the engine covers than to do the work. Going forward I will likely perform the task every other oil change or 10,000 miles.

Also, don't hesitate to backflush the charcoal mesh in the filter housing with MAF cleaner...

#2IS Maintenance
hows the charcoal mesh look like?
Old 06-02-21, 07:43 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatona
hows the charcoal mesh look like?
^^ It's the screen mesh in the air box lid. It's goal is to absorb the oil and combustion fumes to minimize their escape to the environment. It needs maintenance but no one ever talks about it.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (06-02-21)