IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Burning smell coming from what i am almost convinced of being the air vents?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 07:04 PM
KaidenB8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning smell coming from what i am almost convinced of being the air vents?

Hey guys i have a 2008 is250 rwd. I bought this car a year ago with 115k miles on it, 1 owner and all dealership maintenance records. When i got the vehicle after about 2-3 months of owning it i started to smell a burning rubber smell coming out of the vents, Atleast im convinced it is. This would only happen if i stepped on the accelerator hard, if the air conditioning was off it was more pronounced than if it was on. Still could smell it either way. Its definitely a burning rubber smell not a egg smell or anything like carbon monoxide. I first started with the air filters (cabin & engine) still not fixed. Then one of my fan motors went out. Replaced that, still not fixed. Replaced the serpentine belt. Still nothing, alternator went out. Replaced that, still nothing. I run premium 91octane fuel as anyone who owns this car should. Only full synthetic oil changes every 4-5 thousand miles with filter everytime. No oil leaks, no exhaust leaks, no coolant leaks, all levels are good. There’s absolutely no issues. But this smell was getting slightly annoying, part of me believes that it is the a/c compressor running extremely hot but still doesnt make sense it it is still happening if the A/C is off. Anyways the reason why i am reaching out now is because about an hour ago i was driving (just cruising at est. 60-70mph) on the off ramp of the freeway and all a sudden at max a/c a burning rubber smell again but this time like extreme, to a point that it was terrible to smell/breathe. Did not go away till i shut the car off in a gas station, i started it back up after filling up, no smell. UNTIL i drove about 4 more miles down the road to only smell it again pulling into my neighborhood. Parked left the car running with a/c checked under the hood. Nothing, went back in the cabin. Gone. WTH is going on, super confused, slightly worried, someone please help, has anyone experienced anything like this and fixed it? What am i doing wrong here?
Old 05-29-21, 08:46 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

check under the car make sure theres no melted plastic bag on the exhaust
Old 05-29-21, 08:52 PM
KaidenB8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jizz4jazz
check under the car make sure theres no melted plastic bag on the exhaust
That was the next thing i did after i parked it, everything checked out. Kind of wish it was something small like that so it would give me peace of mind.
Old 05-30-21, 12:35 PM
KaidenB8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KaidenB8
That was the next thing i did after i parked it, everything checked out. Kind of wish it was something small like that so it would give me peace of mind.
UPDATE: so after driving again after the incident that happened with the strong burning smell, my subwoofers started making some noises, i parked and looked around to only find a loose ground connection where it was burning the ground wire in my cabin. Basically my amp was frying my ground connection, which is a problem on its own. And the strong smell i was smelling was burning plastic (soo bad) but im glad to have found that, and disconnected it for the time being. Next step is to finding out what the burning rubber smell is when i am at full throttle that has been that way since u bought the car. If you have any suggestions please let me know
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (05-31-21)