IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying advice for 11 IS350 w/ 36k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 09:06 PM
goose300
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Buying advice for 11 IS350 w/ 36k miles

Looking for some buying advice here, I just looked at a 2011 IS350 AWD today that had about 59000kms or 36000miles, I believe it's just a normal trim (not premium/luxury trim) with the optional Non-ML navigation package, has the piano black trim all around. Price-wise they are sitting firm at about $18.5K CAD or about 15.3K USD. Sounds pretty great, but non-mechanical condition of the car isn't the best.

CarFax shows one single owner from 2011 to end of 2020 (assume new owner is dealer here?), no accidents. Car has been listed at this dealership for about ~6 months, which was concerning but I really couldn't see why. Test drove it and it seemed great, but it's the first IS I've driven so I have no baseline to compare to. There was another IS350, 2011 same spec with 95k KMs that got sold in 2-3 weeks, so that sorta raised a flag or two in my head.

I currently have an 01 ES300 that's been serving me well, but after testing driving the IS350 today...well...let's just say I immediately fell in love with everything about it. The power, the handling, the brakes, they're just on a different level. Just giving it a 1/2 pedal of gas and getting that kind of power response and acceleration was just amazing. End of the day its a V6 Camry vs a 300hp AWD sports sedan.

The 2011 IS350 I took a look at was in decent shape, but I felt like it was in worse condition than what a 36k miles car should have been like. Exterior I would give it about a 7/10, interior about 8.5/10.
List of issues I saw on the exterior:
- small ding front right fender
- one corner of the rear bumper slightly bulged out (looks like a little bulge/gap between bumper and body)
- 3/4 rims pretty curb rashed
- underbody there's light surface rust (Northern car so expected to a degree)
- small scrape on one of the front bender (about 0.5 inches)
- Front right mirror shell is cracked in the corner, small chunk missing
- little scratches here and there0)
- One corner of the front hood is slightly lower than the fender (assume it can be adjusted like on my ES)

Interior (8.5/10)
- Only real issue here was a faded section of leather on the driver seat, wasn't ripped, but almost like the leather has been rubbed off and it's a bit grey.
- No issues elsewhere, everything seemed the work, dash looked like it was in good shape.

My main problem here is that I have been waiting around for a luxury/premium trim package. Specifically the ventilated seats and memory seating/electronic telescoping steering wheel. The wood and other small features sound nice, but they're not that important. The issue is that I haven't been able to fine a single one with that package, aside from a single one that has about 270k KMs and they want about $10K CAD for it. Mileage is a bit too high there.

So the tradeoff here is a potentially mint mechanical car, with a lesser package, however the fact they're basically firm on the price with the exterior condition not being what I expected from a 59k KMs / 36k miles car is a little disappointing.

They said they don't mind having it inspected at a Lexus dealer, so I suppose a PPI would hopefully expose any issues. (Anyone know if a Lexus dealer would let a customer into the shop to take a look under it too? That would be great haha). I definitely won't be purchasing anything without having it properly inspected by a dealer.

I suppose now the question is should I go for a very low mileage lesser-trim model, or stick around waiting for the trim package I really want? And is the luxury/premium trim even worth it? My 01 ES300 at the moment doesn't really have any issues per say, but the IS350 is definitely my attainable dream car, and I'd love to have an IS350.

Would greatly appreciate any advice you guys could give me!
Old 06-05-21, 09:27 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I would find a higher mileage cheaper 350, these cars last long if you treat them right.
Old 06-05-21, 10:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

You can find a higher mileage, even an older year IS350 for cheaper, totally true, but personally if I were in your shoes, I would ****** it up in a heartbeat. The lower the miles, the better. Maybe offer $15k US even and see if they take it. That's just my 2cents...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-06-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 08:08 AM
goose300
Pit Crew

Ideally I'd love to grab one with something like 100-120K kms (60-75K miles range) but the problem is that these cars, especially the 09-13 AWD offerings, are just so rare where I am. I've been watching around for a while now and haven't really found any that match the spec I want with lower mileage. Question is, is it even worth it to hold out for a top trim model when there's such a low mileage model available?

If this car was in better cosmetic condition, I'd have honestly thrown a deposit on it yesterday but yeah, it wasn't as clean as I'd hope. Granted a lot of cosmetic issues can be repaired.

Old 06-06-21, 09:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by goose300
Ideally I'd love to grab one with something like 100-120K kms (60-75K miles range) but the problem is that these cars, especially the 09-13 AWD offerings, are just so rare where I am. I've been watching around for a while now and haven't really found any that match the spec I want with lower mileage. Question is, is it even worth it to hold out for a top trim model when there's such a low mileage model available?

If this car was in better cosmetic condition, I'd have honestly thrown a deposit on it yesterday but yeah, it wasn't as clean as I'd hope. Granted a lot of cosmetic issues can be repaired.
It would depend on what you mean by cosmetic issues. If they are asking that amount, for me it has to be clean. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a car I don't have to put work into
Old 06-06-21, 10:04 AM
goose300
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It would depend on what you mean by cosmetic issues. If they are asking that amount, for me it has to be clean. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a car I don't have to put work into
By cosmetic, it's basically what I mentioned in the original post. I mentioned this to the dealer selling it, but they said the price reflects the condition. They were pretty firm on it but said they could drop a couple of hundred max.

Aside from the curb-rash on the wheels, there wasn't really much I couldn't fix up myself, but it's still there.
Old 06-06-21, 10:15 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Not all accidents are reported to Autocheck/Carfax. I suspect the car has been in at least one accident throughout it's life and by the sounds of the condition it wasn't really treated great/lived outside. Those first impression gut-hunches usually are pretty accurate in my experience, but if the pro's outweigh the cons for you I'd say go for it. Very hard to find a low mileage IS350 such as this one, especially where you live. Cosmetics are much easier to overcome than other imperfections.

On a side note, you can get the rims re-finished, granted, probably not a DIY project. Usually runs 150 a rim give or take. Let us know what route you take and post some pics if you can!
The following 2 users liked this post by SC400slide:
AMIRZA786 (06-06-21), goose300 (06-06-21)
Old 06-06-21, 10:42 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Used car prices only going higher. And 350’s are a little harder to
find. Cosmetic items can be fixed. New rims and a good detailer.
If it drives nice could be worth it.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-06-21)
Old 06-06-21, 10:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Not all accidents are reported to Autocheck/Carfax. I suspect the car has been in at least one accident throughout it's life and by the sounds of the condition it wasn't really treated great/lived outside. Those first impression gut-hunches usually are pretty accurate in my experience, but if the pro's outweigh the cons for you I'd say go for it. Very hard to find a low mileage IS350 such as this one, especially where you live. Cosmetics are much easier to overcome than other imperfections.

On a side note, you can get the rims re-finished, granted, probably not a DIY project. Usually runs 150 a rim give or take. Let us know what route you take and post some pics if you can!
Totally agree with this. If it's minor cosmetics, it might be worth it. Low mileage 2nd gen IS350's are hard to come by. Also the used car market is in an insane bubble right now. A Honda dealership I bought a car from in 2018 just offered to buy my 2013 Toyota Sienna with 142k my wife beat the hell out of for way more than it's worth

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-06-21 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 03:14 PM
goose300
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SC400slide

I think my game plan here is to first call up a Lexus dealer near me and ask for a PPI cost/appointment, then the idea is to make some offer to the seller on the condition the PPI checks out green. If there's no issues with it mechanically, and it's just cosmetics, I'd hope I could snag it for around $18k CAD flat. For a car with 36k miles that's probably worth it, and I could fix up the cosmetic issues myself. Could probably even used the curbed wheels for winter tires. Got a set of freshly refinished and powdercoated 06 GS rims fitted with brand new tires I was going to throw on my ES that would look great on it.
Old 06-07-21, 09:04 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Low mileage = less exposure to the elements and likely less rust. So getting one with more kms, likely means you fight more mechanical issues down the road.

Based on the shortage of good 2IS AWD 350's, you need to ask yourself if you'll regret payments a year out or take it in stride that your new found Toyota is pretty damn fun and puts a smile on your face!
Old 06-07-21, 10:35 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

I'd love to have the 350 in AWD. If you do decide on it get rid of the "nannie" ecu, and stiffen up the chassis. It transforms it to a whole new level.
Old 06-09-21, 09:39 AM
goose300
Pit Crew

Figured I'd update the thread. Unfortunately the seller wanted a deposit AND a bill of sale signed before they were to bring it to the Lexus dealer to have it inspected. Never have had that happen to me before when buying a car, so I just gave up on that one. Unfortunate, but it just screams something sketchy is going on.

The hunt for a clean IS350 continues! Appreciate the help and advice you guys provided.
Old 06-09-21, 10:11 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Figured I'd update the thread. Unfortunately the seller wanted a deposit AND a bill of sale signed before they were to bring it to the Lexus dealer to have it inspected. Never have had that happen to me before when buying a car, so I just gave up on that one. Unfortunate, but it just screams something sketchy is going on.

The hunt for a clean IS350 continues! Appreciate the help and advice you guys provided.
It took me a couple years to find a RWD Toyota that wasn't a truck!
Mini story is I took Mazda 6 in for the airbag recall and some halfwit left the keys in it overnight. Theives being what they are, it vanished. For weeks they hounded me saying I took it until the police found it and a known criminal in possession.

Across the street from the dealer I saw this blue car that looked like something I should check out.. low and behold a 2013 F-Sport 350 in USB. It had 50k miles on it July 2017. It's at 110k now... love this car.

Keep looking. Consider paying for a service too.
goose300 (06-09-21)
Old 06-09-21, 10:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Be patient, and you will run into the right one
goose300 (06-09-21)