IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Turn signal problem help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 10:06 PM
Carson250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal problem help!

Turn signal stays on on dash and goes super fast when headlights are on but when they aren’t on it blinks normally. Also my high beams are always on but super dim
Old 06-09-21, 06:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

You didn't mention which model year car you have, neither in your post nor in your profile. You also didn't say whether you have the stock halogen headlights, stock HID, or an aftermarket setup.

Assuming that it's an older IS, it is normal for the high beams to be on at low brightness, as these function as the daytime running lights.
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (06-09-21)
Old 06-09-21, 03:32 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Doing a walk about with either the 4 way flashers on or left then right directional signals may show a dead bulb. All 2IS OEM indicators are incandescent. When the filament burns open, the relay has less load and blinks faster.

It can also blink faster if replaced by an LED that didn't include a resistive load. Aka resistor.

So if all four cofours blink, study each a notice from full brightness to off if it fades or just shuts off instantly. If the later, you need a digital relay for your turn indicates.
Carson250 (06-09-21)
Old 06-09-21, 04:34 PM
Carson250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
You didn't mention which model year car you have, neither in your post nor in your profile. You also didn't say whether you have the stock halogen headlights, stock HID, or an aftermarket setup.

Assuming that it's an older IS, it is normal for the high beams to be on at low brightness, as these function as the daytime running lights.
It is a 2012 with the HID’s and led daytime running lights, I attached a video of the lights and the problem but it did not upload.

Last edited by Carson250; 06-09-21 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 04:43 PM
Carson250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Doing a walk about with either the 4 way flashers on or left then right directional signals may show a dead bulb. All 2IS OEM indicators are incandescent. When the filament burns open, the relay has less load and blinks faster.

It can also blink faster if replaced by an LED that didn't include a resistive load. Aka resistor.

So if all four cofours blink, study each a notice from full brightness to off if it fades or just shuts off instantly. If the later, you need a digital relay for your turn indicates.
Here is a clip of the headlight, seems to be going crazy and causing the other lights to also mess up, I am thinking maybe an electric issue.
Attached Files
Old 06-09-21, 06:47 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carson250
Here is a clip of the headlight, seems to be going crazy and causing the other lights to also mess up, I am thinking maybe an electric issue.
Mine did nearly the same thing. It would light cold but when hot fade to orange, flicker and then shut off.

Swap the bulbs from side to side. Do not leave a greasy finger smudge on the bulb or it will break the glass and murder the bulb. Report back. At a minimum, you likely need new bulbs as D4S bulbs don't live 10 years like the old D2S bulbs did.

I'm running the OSRAM CBI which are about $120 on sale. Worth every penny compared to cheaper bulbs as they really push the light down the road.

Worst case is you need new ballasts. One step at a time....
Carson250 (06-09-21)
Old 06-09-21, 07:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Turn signal stays on on dash and goes super fast when headlights are on but when they aren’t on it blinks normally. Also my high beams are always on but super dim
Hmmm..... Going back to this. I think my previous post is in error as it seems you lost the ground to your headlight and it's using the High Beam bulb as a path to ground..

That said, for this to happen, there must be a separate path for system grounds in the headlight..

Do both sides do exactly the same thing? Please give some details.
Old 06-09-21, 07:20 PM
Carson250
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm..... Going back to this. I think my previous post is in error as it seems you lost the ground to your headlight and it's using the High Beam bulb as a path to ground..

That said, for this to happen, there must be a separate path for system grounds in the headlight..

Do both sides do exactly the same thing? Please give some details.
yes both sides have the high beams on but only the drivers side is flickering, which I just replaced with brand new headlight assembly and ballast last year. I am going to get a diagnosis tomorrow from the place I got it installed at, it could be a wiring issue and the computer is messing up but I am unsure what would even cause this problem because it has been working fine for over a year..... I guess will find out tomorrow when I take it in.
Old 06-09-21, 07:24 PM
Carson250
Driver School Candidate

Mine did nearly the same thing. It would light cold but when hot fade to orange, flicker and then shut off.

Swap the bulbs from side to side. Do not leave a greasy finger smudge on the bulb or it will break the glass and murder the bulb. Report back. At a minimum, you likely need new bulbs as D4S bulbs don't live 10 years like the old D2S bulbs did.

I'm running the OSRAM CBI which are about $120 on sale. Worth every penny compared to cheaper bulbs as they really push the light down the road.

Worst case is you need new ballasts. One step at a time....
My driver side headlight Ballast was corroded when I first bought the car and I replaced the whole assembly with new ballast. So I hope that is not the problem agian... even when the ballast was bad only the headlight was having issues, it did not mess with the high beams and turn signal. Also the left turn signal is stuck on my dash when I turn my lights on as well, very weird🤔
Old 06-11-21, 10:07 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Make sure that the ground connection for the headlight AND the ballast is good.
Carson250 (06-11-21)
Old 06-11-21, 10:22 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

My driver side headlight Ballast was corroded when I first bought the car and I replaced the whole assembly with new ballast. So I hope that is not the problem agian... even when the ballast was bad only the headlight was having issues, it did not mess with the high beams and turn signal. Also the left turn signal is stuck on my dash when I turn my lights on as well, very weird🤔
Uhm, sometimes it pays to tell the whole story!
Carson250 (06-11-21)
Old 06-11-21, 01:25 PM
Carson250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
yep got it figured out, this was the problem! Thank you though
Old 06-11-21, 03:03 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I mentioned this in post #7. I think it is using the +12v connection of the high beam incandescent filaments as a path to ground for the side with no ground/compromised ground.

I'd guess nothing would work on the bad side if the high beams are turned on.

yep got it figured out, this was the problem! Thank you though
So, did you fix it? If so, what connection failed?