IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2010 IS350 Bad Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 11:59 PM
coyo
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 2010 IS350 Bad Gas Mileage

I've recently purchased a decently high mileage IS350 and have driven it about a tank an a half so far. Since I've filled up, I reset the average MPG and it's showing 13.5 and then 13.7 on the tank avg. I'd say I drive a little faster than most others on the road, but I'm not flying past everyone. This is also just leaving it in normal drive. Does this seem oddly low, or do I need to start driving like a Sienna or Elantra driver to see some decent mileage? Also, my daily commutes are pretty short, about 4 miles all city driving.
Old 06-10-21, 07:51 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

You need to calculate gas mileage at the pump. To miles driven vs gallons filling up. The dash meter is so inconsistent to trust. If it will make you happy fill it up, and go on a long freeway drive. Reset the milage again. The mileage will be around 28+ miles on the dash.

Short trips will always kill gas milage, and induce carbon build up to some degree.
Old 06-10-21, 08:50 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by coyo
I've recently purchased a decently high mileage IS350 and have driven it about a tank an a half so far. Since I've filled up, I reset the average MPG and it's showing 13.5 and then 13.7 on the tank avg. I'd say I drive a little faster than most others on the road, but I'm not flying past everyone. This is also just leaving it in normal drive. Does this seem oddly low, or do I need to start driving like a Sienna or Elantra driver to see some decent mileage? Also, my daily commutes are pretty short, about 4 miles all city driving.
You see that 4 miles of city driving barely warms the engine fluids and you're likely sitting an equal amount of time as you're moving.
I'd say that's normal. And it will take its toll on any car if it lives its life 4 miles at a time. That's severe duty! And it induces maximum wear on the engine.

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
You need to calculate gas mileage at the pump. To miles driven vs gallons filling up. The dash meter is so inconsistent to trust. If it will make you happy fill it up, and go on a long freeway drive. Reset the milage again. The mileage will be around 28+ miles on the dash.

Short trips will always kill gas milage, and induce carbon build up to some degree.
^^ completely agree. Not to mention sludge up an engine as it never gets to temp and people will change the oil on a normal interval vs severe duty which is what short trips are.

Take it on a road trip and report back.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 11:51 PM
coyo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
You see that 4 miles of city driving barely warms the engine fluids and you're likely sitting an equal amount of time as you're moving.
I'd say that's normal. And it will take its toll on any car if it lives its life 4 miles at a time. That's severe duty! And it induces maximum wear on the engine.

^^ completely agree. Not to mention sludge up an engine as it never gets to temp and people will change the oil on a normal interval vs severe duty which is what short trips are.

Take it on a road trip and report back.
That actually makes a ton of sense. Maybe I'll start taking a longer route to work or spend time warming up my car instead of getting to work 15 minutes early and sitting in it.

Also, @ Mike, I usually do calculate my mileage that way since I always fill up completely, just haven't gotten the chance to quite yet. Also kinda put too much trust into the gauge and didn't reset my trip odo...

Thank you guys for the info!
Old 07-26-21, 03:55 AM
coyo
Rookie

Update: just averaged about 22mpg on a 200 mile round trip and all is well. Looks like my super short trips really are the culprit of my terrible gas mileage.
Old 07-26-21, 11:59 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Update: just averaged about 22mpg on a 200 mile round trip and all is well. Looks like my super short trips really are the culprit of my terrible gas mileage.
My 350 does 21.7 pretty consistently in mixed driving. 25 on the the open road.

What all have you done?
Old 07-26-21, 12:26 PM
coyo
Rookie

My 350 does 21.7 pretty consistently in mixed driving. 25 on the the open road.

What all have you done?
My car is completely stock. I expect a couple of mpg lower than advertised since I’m not really one to drive speed limit or not take an open lane. As of recently my city mileage has been about 15 mpg (4 mile trips, all city) which is still not very good, but acceptable compared to the 13 mpg I was getting before. I think I’m still learning how to not have such a heavy foot.
Old 07-26-21, 01:01 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I was getting atrocious mileage similar to yours while working from home during the pandemic and doing nothing but quick runs to the grocery store. Now that I'm back to doing a 25 mile (each-way) traffic-free daily commute, my mileage is back too -- last tank was 26.1 mpg calculated at the pump after refueling. Short trips kill your mileage way more than a heavy foot does.
Old 07-26-21, 02:32 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

My car is completely stock. I expect a couple of mpg lower than advertised since I’m not really one to drive speed limit or not take an open lane. As of recently my city mileage has been about 15 mpg (4 mile trips, all city) which is still not very good, but acceptable compared to the 13 mpg I was getting before. I think I’m still learning how to not have such a heavy foot.
As is being stated below, it's the short trips. I ran at 80 to 90+ mph on a 1400 mile drive and averaged 25.7 with RPM's about 3k in 6th. It's not like it's getting flogged or anything. That said, also a heavy foot with a tune and the pipes are always black and I'm still doing better than yours...

Originally Posted by Bichon
I was getting atrocious mileage similar to yours while working from home during the pandemic and doing nothing but quick runs to the grocery store. Now that I'm back to doing a 25 mile (each-way) traffic-free daily commute, my mileage is back too -- last tank was 26.1 mpg calculated at the pump after refueling. Short trips kill your mileage way more than a heavy foot does.
Agreed. Short trips kill cars and MPG's.
Old 07-26-21, 11:20 PM
coyo
Rookie

As is being stated below, it's the short trips. I ran at 80 to 90+ mph on a 1400 mile drive and averaged 25.7 with RPM's about 3k in 6th. It's not like it's getting flogged or anything. That said, also a heavy foot with a tune and the pipes are always black and I'm still doing better than yours...

Agreed. Short trips kill cars and MPG's.
The 22mpg 200mile round trip actually didn't include the city driving done in between... and it was a day trip to San Francisco, probably one of the worst places for mpg's. Your almost 26mpg sounds amazing though, what tune are you running?

Originally Posted by Bichon
Glad to know that others have had the same experience and it's not that my car needs a major tune up. Definitely NOT glad to know that these short trips are considered severe duty and I'll be needing oil changes earlier than most, though.