IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 Lexus IS 250 stalls in drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 01:28 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Lexus IS 250 stalls in drive

I have an automatic 2007 Lexus IS 250 with 154K miles on it, today when I was parking my car and with the car already in reverse when I went to switch the car into drive the car just stalls on me, check engine and battery icon comes on, radio and ac are still on but the car won't move. I then shift it back into park and turn off the car and start it up again. When I shift into drive from park it's fine but when I go from park -> drive -> reverse -> back to drive it stalls, I make sure the car is at a complete stop when I do this. I then turned off the car again and wait like 30 mins and when I start the car up and shift it between the gears the car is completely fine, no stalling at all. This occurred back in February and I did a basic tune-up and cleaned the throttle body and it hasn't happened again till today. Normally, my car sits at 600-700 rpm at a complete stop if anyone can give any suggestions on what causes this, please let me know!

Last edited by JulieH0719; 06-27-21 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-27-21, 03:10 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Hello JulieH0719, To confirm, when your changing settings (from Park to Drive, and Drive to Reverse etc.), you are holding the brake until the transmission engages in the selected position, and not rolling into Reverse from Drive, correct?
I believe when transmission shifts into reverse and brake is engaged, it’s creating a load against the transmission and the engine. If the engine stalls, possibly defective idle control valve, O2 sensor or bad fuel injector??
Old 06-27-21, 03:48 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ELexis
Hello JulieH0719, To confirm, when your changing settings (from Park to Drive, and Drive to Reverse etc.), you are holding the brake until the transmission engages in the selected position, and not rolling into Reverse from Drive, correct?
I believe when transmission shifts into reverse and brake is engaged, it’s creating a load against the transmission and the engine. If the engine stalls, possibly defective idle control valve, O2 sensor or bad fuel injector??
yes the brakes are engaged when I am shifting.
Old 06-28-21, 10:26 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Can you provide engine codes? There are many symptoms for this happening. It's best to start what which codes are present.
Old 06-28-21, 12:02 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Can you provide engine codes? There are many symptoms for this happening. It's best to start what which codes are present.
there aren’t any codes. Once I turn off the car and turn it back on the check engine light is gone.
Old 06-28-21, 12:48 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JulieH0719
there aren’t any codes. Once I turn off the car and turn it back on the check engine light is gone.
So are you scanning for codes when the light is on? Then you see no codes present? What scan tool are you using?
Old 06-28-21, 03:34 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

So are you scanning for codes when the light is on? Then you see no codes present? What scan tool are you using?
I’m not scanning the codes cause when the car stalls on me like that it basically turns the car to the key on mode. You know like when you push the start bottom without your leg on the brake, it doesn’t start the car but like the radio turns on. What’s happening to me is when I’m in reverse and right when I shift the gear to drive I can hear the engine shut off, basically switching the ignition to the key on mode
Old 06-28-21, 03:41 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I’m not scanning the codes cause when the car stalls on me like that it basically turns the car to the key on mode. You know like when you push the start bottom without your leg on the brake, it doesn’t start the car but like the radio turns on. What’s happening to me is when I’m in reverse and right when I shift the gear to drive I can hear the engine shut off, basically switching the ignition to the key on mode
Ok I see now. My first guess would be then a bad neutral safety switch. It has the symptoms.

If the car starts only in park, and neutral. Then most likely is the switch. Can you have someone view if the reverse lights activate once in reverse?

Last edited by MikeFig82; 06-28-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 05:40 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

Ok I see now. My first guess would be then a bad neutral safety switch. It has the symptoms.

If the car starts only in park, and neutral. Then most likely is the switch. Can you have someone view if the reverse lights activate once in reverse?
my reverse lights do activate in reverse.
Old 06-30-21, 10:21 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

If the car starts only in park, and neutral. Then most likely is the switch. Can you have someone view if the reverse lights activate once in reverse?[/QUOTE]

my reverse lights do activate in reverse.
First I want to correct my quote. If the car starts in park,, and neutral then most likely it ain't the switch. Sometimes it will start though if bad too. If the car starts in any gear then yup its bad.

Have you did a run down on checking the intake tube from air filter to throttle body? Now I'm thinking a loose, or disconnected vacuum air hose. Possibly maybe even torn,split. So when you shift into gear the engine moves, and unmetered air kills the engine. That's my only thoughts. As like I mentioned before the ECU will store some codes. Other than that we are all chasing our tails on the subject.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 06-30-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-05-21, 03:28 PM
ELexis
Instructor

JulieH0719, have you since been able to scan year vehicle to confirm any codes being present?
Old 07-05-21, 04:38 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

JulieH0719, have you since been able to scan year vehicle to confirm any codes being present?
Check engine light has not came on yet but I still plugged in the scanner and no codes were found.
Old 07-05-21, 07:14 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Understood, thanks for following up. Vehicle still continuing to stall when shifted from Reverse to Drive?
Also, what is the model / manufacturer of OBD II scan tool you using (BOSCH 1350 etc.)?
Old 07-09-21, 02:39 PM
JulieH0719
Driver School Candidate

Understood, thanks for following up. Vehicle still continuing to stall when shifted from Reverse to Drive?
Also, what is the model / manufacturer of OBD II scan tool you using (BOSCH 1350 etc.)?
The car hasn’t stalled at shifting anymore since it happened but what occurred about 2 nights ago was I went to start my car and I heard the engine start up but then it stalled right away and went to the key on mode which was weird so I turned off the car and start it up again and it was fine but I noticed the navigation screen say something a long the lines of system restarting and my clock was a completely different time as if some one disconnected the battery. I have the hypertough HT309 OBF2 scanner
Old 07-10-21, 05:55 AM
ELexis
Instructor

That's a new symptom, correct? When vehicle stalled, was the Check Engine ICON displayed and did Engine Start / Stop button show an amber light? Sounds as if power was interrupted or
battery voltage fell below the certain threshold for clock and Navigation screen to reset after starting. May be a separate issue. Have you had battery / charging system checked? AutoZone, Advanced Auto will do for free.

Last edited by ELexis; 07-10-21 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 07 Lexus IS 250 stalls in drive