IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sticky Dash recall after 10 years?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 01:43 PM
ravisingh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Dash recall after 10 years?

Has anyone been successful in getting their dashboard/door panels replaced for free after the 10 year recall period expired?

I'm currently looking @ a '08 IS 350 that seems decent but the only hesitations I have with it right now is that the previous owner didn't get the dash and panels replaced under warranty and that the seats in it are faded and look worn out (no cracks or rips in them though). I wanted to check before I made a move to buy it if anyone has had any luck in getting them replaced and if so, how they did so.

(I'll also make a 2nd post to post the details of the 350 that I'm looking to buy and see if I can get some feedback on if its a good deal)

TIA

Old 07-29-21, 03:57 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont think so. The dealerships will not replace them if it passed the extended warranty period. Mine (2011) was in perfect condition but I just got them replaced last week just for a piece of mind because it's just a matter of time for these dash and panels to go bad.
Old 07-29-21, 07:50 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

They will not after ten years.. i tried.
Old 07-29-21, 08:05 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Exclamation

A surprising thing happened to my car, and you won't believe it.

My car's dash stopped melting lol About a year ago, my 2008 IS350's dash become very shiny and looks melting. I had been thinking about replacing it myself. Then about a month ago, the shininess gone away and my dash looks normal again ...
Old 07-30-21, 12:41 AM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

New OEM dash is 400 from ebay (also megazip etc), but beaware, the shipping can be also 400-1000 on top .
Old 07-30-21, 06:36 PM
Lfoo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would give it a go - no harm in trying. I'm in Australia and we never got a recall option and they still replaced my dash and doors for free.
Old 09-26-21, 04:53 PM
YokoKurama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamehoo
I dont think so. The dealerships will not replace them if it passed the extended warranty period. Mine (2011) was in perfect condition but I just got them replaced last week just for a piece of mind because it's just a matter of time for these dash and panels to go bad.
What Dealership did you go if you dont mind me asking? The Lexus of El Cajon did not want to replace my 2013 is , mine is in good condition as well. Is it better to call the dealerships directly or lexus corporate?
Old 09-26-21, 08:10 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Go to the dealerships. I went to Lexus of Westminster and got the dash and all 4 door panels replaced without any questions asked. My service advisor (Jonathan Van) seems to know what's going on with these sticky dash and he even commented that sooner or later they will go bad. It took him less than 15 min to fill out the paperwork and took some pictures of the dash and door panels and I was on my way home. My claim got approved 2 days after that and dash and door panels were replaced 2 weeks later when the parts were available.

Hope it helps.

The following users liked this post:
Yodog (10-19-21)
Old 09-26-21, 08:22 PM
Lfoo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamehoo
Go to the dealerships. I went to Lexus of Westminster and got the dash and all 4 door panels replaced without any questions asked. My service advisor (Jonathan Van) seems to know what's going on with these sticky dash and he even commented that sooner or later they will go bad. It took him less than 15 min to fill out the paperwork and took some pictures of the dash and door panels and I was on my way home. My claim got approved 2 days after that and dash and door panels were replaced 2 weeks later when the parts were available.

Hope it helps.
Hey mate,

Just wanted to clarify if your service advisor said the replacements will eventually also go bad or just the old ones?

Bit conscious of the replacements eventually falling into the same fate.

Cheers
Old 09-26-21, 08:57 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lfoo1
Hey mate,

Just wanted to clarify if your service advisor said the replacements will eventually also go bad or just the old ones?

Bit conscious of the replacements eventually falling into the same fate.

Cheers
The old ones. The new ones have different materials and I believe they are the same with the 2015 models and up.
The following users liked this post:
Lfoo1 (09-26-21)
Old 09-27-21, 08:42 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You need to call central office Lexus. The warranty has been extended to 12 years at least for my vehicle, 2012 is350. Am good until February 2023.
Call them first, then make an appointment at your local Lexus dealer, which of course is free. Be persistent at location, they will bring the manager and some goof ball assistant engineer/mechanic, etc stating it will not be approved. Just remind them they are not there to make the decision, but to document and submit case to headquarters.
Verify they took good pictures. The tech took them without flash and from far away. I made them take the pictures again.
If it does not get approved, wait six months and show up again, and/or try another Lexus dealer.

And also remind them NOT to wash your car. I was so upset they ran my car through their crappy water car wash. it had hard water droplets everywhere.

good luck
Old 10-18-21, 09:01 PM
talkr21
10th Gear

My local Miami dealer replaced all 4 door panels and the dashboard for free. I have 09 2is which I bought on august of this year
Old 10-19-21, 04:46 PM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by talkr21
My local Miami dealer replaced all 4 door panels and the dashboard for free. I have 09 2is which I bought on august of this year
which Lexus dealer??
Old 10-20-21, 04:17 AM
talkr21
10th Gear

Originally Posted by badx33
which Lexus dealer??
lexus of north miami

Last edited by talkr21; 03-08-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-20-21, 07:10 AM
kwillms
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
A surprising thing happened to my car, and you won't believe it.

My car's dash stopped melting lol About a year ago, my 2008 IS350's dash become very shiny and looks melting. I had been thinking about replacing it myself. Then about a month ago, the shininess gone away and my dash looks normal again ...
I hope I'm wrong, but in my case it depends on temperature. When it cools it looks normal, when cold it's cloudy, and when it's warm it's shiny. I understand it's an adhesive coming to the surface. So in Texas the differences are pretty extreme. In the winter it will look cloudy in the garage, then if I park in the sun it becomes shiny where the sun's hitting it.

Quick Reply: Sticky Dash recall after 10 years?