Steam\Smoke engine bay (video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 01:36 PM
markdav801
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steam\Smoke engine bay (video)

Hi all,

My mechanic said this smoke\steam is due to the timing cover leak on my IS250.
Do you agree? Would like second set of eyes on this before before bringing this to the shop.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
is250_2.MOV (2.72 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by markdav801; 09-08-21 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 03:33 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

I'd start off with pulling the PCV. It could be severally clogged.

As the vapor seems to be coming off the side of the engine. Too much pressure not being relieved from the crankcase.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-my-is350.html
Old 09-01-21, 04:36 PM
markdav801
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I'd start off with pulling the PCV. It could be severally clogged.

As the vapor seems to be coming off the side of the engine. Too much pressure not being relieved from the crankcase.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-my-is350.html

I saw this is located at the back of the engine. Do you still think this could be the issue although the steam is contingent from the front?
Old 09-01-21, 04:54 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by markdav801
I saw this is located at the back of the engine. Do you still think this could be the issue although the steam is contingent from the front?
You can see how a PCV system works here:
https://dennisroadautomotive.com/new...edium=facebook

One thing you can check is with engine off, and preferably warm. Remove the oil cap, and check If you see any sludge build up inside. The pressure has to relieve somewhere. The valve covers have gaskets. They only require a few in-ft lbs of torque. I'm not really sure I haven't checked the specs for our valve covers. It should be relatively low though. Over the years they harden up, and get brittle no longer providing a good seal. The pcv is open slightly at low rpm high vacuum. The crank case gases get sucked back into the combustion chamber. If it's not functioning you get pressure build up quickly.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 09-01-21 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markdav801 (09-01-21)
Old 09-01-21, 09:08 PM
markdav801
Rookie

One thing you can check is with engine off, and preferably warm. Remove the oil cap, and check If you see any sludge build up inside. The pressure has to relieve somewhere. The valve covers have gaskets. They only require a few in-ft lbs of torque. I'm not really sure I haven't checked the specs for our valve covers. It should be relatively low though. Over the years they harden up, and get brittle no longer providing a good seal. The pcv is open slightly at low rpm high vacuum. The crank case gases get sucked back into the combustion chamber. If it's not functioning you get pressure build up quickly.
I will check this out tomorrow. Never knew about this valve.
Old 09-02-21, 11:09 AM
markdav801
Rookie

I see soot…. And I couldn’t tell you when the last time this was replaced (currently @130kmi). I do hear it rattle too.

part ordered. Will install tomorrow..

Old 09-04-21, 01:31 PM
markdav801
Rookie

It didn’t resolve the issue. Was worth a shot, though.
Old 09-05-21, 09:29 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

It didn’t resolve the issue. Was worth a shot, though.
Verify all the PCV tubing is unobstructed. Mainly the one that feeds into the accordion hose. Also there is an oil feed banjo bolt that seeps over time, that said, that looks more like a valve cover leak.

Take the plastic off the fenderwell, spray some simple green on a cold engine, and hose it off. Get it clean so you can see where it's coming from. PS a long bristled paint brush is pretty helpful too.
Old 09-08-21, 07:55 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

I might have missed it, but what SMELL/ODOR was the smoke? Burnt or burning oil smell or a burning plastic/metal smell? That smoke is coming from directly above the alternator, which in my case smoked a bit right before completely dying. It was horrid mix of burning plasticky and metal smell.
Old 09-08-21, 08:01 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
I might have missed it, but what SMELL/ODOR was the smoke? Burnt or burning oil smell or a burning plastic/metal smell? That smoke is coming from directly above the alternator, which in my case smoked a bit right before completely dying. It was horrid mix of burning plasticky and metal smell.
What, the smell of burnt rectifier diodes in the morning is a turn off?

Maybe this smell would be better?

Old 09-08-21, 09:24 AM
markdav801
Rookie

Oddly, my alternator just went kaput. When I pull out the alternator, I want to see if the smell is the same distinct smell.
Im hoping this is the culprit.
Old 09-08-21, 02:48 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What, the smell of burnt rectifier diodes in the morning is a turn off?

Maybe this smell would be better?

Oddly, my alternator just went kaput. When I pull out the alternator, I want to see if the smell is the same distinct smell.
Im hoping this is the culprit.
Sounds like the moderator jinxed you! Burned diodes have a nice electronic oder to them. Nothing like oil or grease...
Old 09-08-21, 03:54 PM
markdav801
Rookie

I really can’t explain the smell. I know what a fried circuitboard smells like (doh!) and I don’t think it smelled like that. But it also didn’t smell like oil or grease. It was somewhat pungent…. Different.
Old 09-09-21, 01:43 PM
markdav801
Rookie

Just an update. Got the car back today. Its been running for the past hour with outside temp of 95 degrees.
No smoke, no smell, no whining sound.

I sure hope this was the fix.
Old 09-10-21, 06:58 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Yep, I kinda figured that was what it was. Same area and since it is now the MOST prone part to fail on these aging 2ISs, it seemed fitting.

Glad it is back on the road!
The following users liked this post:
markdav801 (09-10-21)

Quick Reply: Steam\Smoke engine bay (video)