IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Kick sensor trunk opening

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21, 08:38 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Kick sensor trunk opening

Thought I'd share a quick video of the kick sensor trunk opener I installed on my Lexus IS250 a while back. It works in combination with uprated struts.

The following users liked this post:
BabyGate (10-11-21)
Old 10-10-21, 09:57 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmed24
Thought I'd share a quick video of the kick sensor trunk opener I installed on my Lexus IS250 a while back. It works in combination with uprated struts.

https://youtu.be/jORL34QvAxQ
Knowing your skills, nothing was bypassed and you must have the fob for this to work, yes?

A cool addition!
ahmed24 (10-10-21)
Old 10-10-21, 10:03 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Yes the key fob is in my pocket and needs to be present in the zone, otherwise if the kick sensor sends a signal to unlock, the car will ignore the request as the fob isn't present in that zone 😀
2013FSport (10-10-21)
Old 10-10-21, 10:55 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

That’s cool.And how does it work?Any info?My trunk just open with the key fob and it’s quite heavy to open with one hand.
Old 10-10-21, 03:12 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PAVGR
That’s cool.And how does it work?Any info?My trunk just open with the key fob and it’s quite heavy to open with one hand.
I installed uprated struts with 300Nm force. But the Nm of force still is just under the amount required to fully lift it from closed position. So I used medium strength die springs to give it that additional compression to allow it to lift the little bit it needs. You could probably go with something like 350Nm but I thought this will make it feel heavier to close all the way, whereas the die springs only come into force right at the closure point.

The kick sensor is just the icing on the cake 😀 it's mountes inside the bumper and when triggered it sends the unlock signal to the trunk switch. So assuming you are carrying the fob and the car ACC isn't on then the kick sensor can open the trunk.
Old 10-10-21, 03:58 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I installed uprated struts with 300Nm force. But the Nm of force still is just under the amount required to fully lift it from closed position. So I used medium strength die springs to give it that additional compression to allow it to lift the little bit it needs. You could probably go with something like 350Nm but I thought this will make it feel heavier to close all the way, whereas the die springs only come into force right at the closure point.

The kick sensor is just the icing on the cake 😀 it's mountes inside the bumper and when triggered it sends the unlock signal to the trunk switch. So assuming you are carrying the fob and the car ACC isn't on then the kick sensor can open the trunk.
I'm trying to read between the lines here.
Best guess, your motion senor took the trunk key logic +/- like the trunk button was activated and IF the fob is present, magic happens? Did you add some and/OR logic in line with the trunk button?
Old 10-11-21, 06:42 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

My wife's previous vehicle had the "kick" to open and close feature. Problem was when I was often loading or unloading the back, the hatch would start closing on me and usually hit me on the head. Glad her new vehicle doesn't have that crap! LOL!

But to the OP, good work! The "kick" to open at least I would find useful; not so much the close functionality of it.
Old 10-11-21, 06:56 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I'm trying to read between the lines here.
Best guess, your motion senor took the trunk key logic +/- like the trunk button was activated and IF the fob is present, magic happens? Did you add some and/OR logic in line with the trunk button?
So basically, the trunk release button that we press on the trunk is a 2 wire switch. It's ground switched. When you press the button it completes the ground connection. When that switch is presed, the car deals with the logic, it checks to see if fob is present in that trunk zone and if so then it actually sends a power back to the lock actuator to unlock the trunk. So this is where the kick sensor comes in, the kick sensor is a universal kit, when it detects a kick motion, it completes a ground connection. So all I did was took that connection and tapped it into the ground wire of the trunk release switch.

So when I approach the car and if ACC is off then the kick sensor is active via the permenant +12v power. If the kick sensor detects a kick motion at this point (regardless of if the key fob is in the zone or not) it will just complete the ground circuit to the trunk button. The car will see this as someone has pressed the trunk button. At that point the car checks to see if fob is in the zone and if so proceeds with unlocking the trunk,. So, even if kit malfunctions, as long as key fob isn't right next to the trunk then it won't unlock.

The kick sensor also disables itself when ACC is on.

Hope that makes sense
2013FSport (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 07:01 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gville350
My wife's previous vehicle had the "kick" to open and close feature. Problem was when I was often loading or unloading the back, the hatch would start closing on me and usually hit me on the head. Glad her new vehicle doesn't have that crap! LOL!

But to the OP, good work! The "kick" to open at least I would find useful; not so much the close functionality of it.
Lol, i've heard of this happening on many other cars. Mine is just for openening the trunk and it has to be manually closed. I find it very handy with the opening seeing as I need this when I'm approaching the car with shopping Once i've loaded the trunk then my hands are free to closed it, i dont need power closing
Old 10-11-21, 10:10 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice work!

Do you mind sharing which kick sensor to buy and where to get it?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-21, 10:41 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Do you mind sharing the struts and the springs you used?With just this upgrade does the trunk open with just pressing the button?
Old 10-11-21, 12:16 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

So basically, the trunk release button that we press on the trunk is a 2 wire switch. It's ground switched. When you press the button it completes the ground connection. When that switch is presed, the car deals with the logic, it checks to see if fob is present in that trunk zone and if so then it actually sends a power back to the lock actuator to unlock the trunk. So this is where the kick sensor comes in, the kick sensor is a universal kit, when it detects a kick motion, it completes a ground connection. So all I did was took that connection and tapped it into the ground wire of the trunk release switch.

So when I approach the car and if ACC is off then the kick sensor is active via the permenant +12v power. If the kick sensor detects a kick motion at this point (regardless of if the key fob is in the zone or not) it will just complete the ground circuit to the trunk button. The car will see this as someone has pressed the trunk button. At that point the car checks to see if fob is in the zone and if so proceeds with unlocking the trunk,. So, even if kit malfunctions, as long as key fob isn't right next to the trunk then it won't unlock.

The kick sensor also disables itself when ACC is on.

Hope that makes sense
Again, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm not sure what access you have to schematics, but I'm working on a lighting project for the Tundra and was somewhat shocked by the lack of detail some sites show in the schematics. That said, not knowing the logic direction of some components into and out of mpx computers makes reverse engineering these a pain...

Very impressed with your accomplishments!
Old 10-12-21, 06:52 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thannp
Do you mind sharing which kick sensor to buy and where to get it?
There are lots on amazon, ebay and aliexpress. Here is one like the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224113585624

Do you mind sharing the struts and the springs you used?With just this upgrade does the trunk open with just pressing the button?
I purchased struts from a UK supplier called SGS engineering. Yes if you upgrade struts or have your existing ones re-gassed then the trunk will open by itself when unlocked.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Again, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm not sure what access you have to schematics, but I'm working on a lighting project for the Tundra and was somewhat shocked by the lack of detail some sites show in the schematics. That said, not knowing the logic direction of some components into and out of mpx computers makes reverse engineering these a pain...

Very impressed with your accomplishments!
Thank you I mainly use the lexus tech docs for the diagrams. Often a lot of manually figuring out is involved.
​​​​​​​
2013FSport (10-12-21)
Old 10-12-21, 10:31 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Did you buy the springs for this company too?Do you have a link to order them both struts and springs?
Old 10-12-21, 12:25 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Did you buy the springs for this company too?Do you have a link to order them both struts and springs?
No, I got springs online from ebay. This was a while back so can't remember exactly the seller exactly. I'll try and find the link. But personally I would suggest finding a struts company within your country, it will work out cheaper and quicker

Quick Reply: Kick sensor trunk opening