IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tranny code but drives fine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-21 | 12:53 PM
Goon07
Driver School Candidate

Default Tranny code but drives fine?

Greetings all,

Im driving home after buying a Lexus IS250 as a commuter, and the infamous check engine/check vsc/Trac lights all come on. I plug in an OBDII reader and I get a P2527 "torque converter solenoid stuck" code. Did some research, seems common but usually associated with shifting symptoms, but I'd never know something was wrong if it wasn't for the lights coming on, as it drives, shifts and runs perfectly fine.

So I cleared the code and am waiting for it to come back. Are there any reasons for the code when you don't have any symptoms? Look forward to speaking with y'all, thanks in advance!
​​​​​​
Old 10-11-21 | 06:48 AM
Gville350

Sucks that the code came up AFTER buying the car and not during a test drive BEFORE the purchase.

Anyways, first thing I'd want to do would be flush the trans fluid. Despite what Lexus says, the trans fluid is not a lifetime fluid and should be changed. It could be low on fluid due to a slow leak (mine started leaking from the trans pan and a seal on the side of the trans).

Good luck with your new purchase and keep us updated on what becomes of this.
Old 10-11-21 | 08:41 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Goon07
Greetings all,

Im driving home after buying a Lexus IS250 as a commuter, and the infamous check engine/check vsc/Trac lights all come on. I plug in an OBDII reader and I get a P2527 "torque converter solenoid stuck" code. Did some research, seems common but usually associated with shifting symptoms, but I'd never know something was wrong if it wasn't for the lights coming on, as it drives, shifts and runs perfectly fine.

So I cleared the code and am waiting for it to come back. Are there any reasons for the code when you don't have any symptoms? Look forward to speaking with y'all, thanks in advance!
​​​​​​

When you say it drives fine, it likely seems fine as most don't notice when the transmission torque converter goes into lockup as it's so subtle.

During use the fluid temperature will be higher as the TC is always slipping.

I would definitely start with a fluid flush test the TC lockup solenoid.
Here is process to do the fluid change. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a760e-rwd.html
Old 10-17-21 | 11:01 PM
Goon07
Driver School Candidate

You're telling me. But, when I say drives fine, I mean it shifts in and out of each gear smoothly, I can't tell any difference in the driving when the light is on vs when it's off.

Oh, update, it just came back on tonight, haven't ran the code but pretty sure it's the same one. Took about 500 miles to come back tho.

Luckily I know a trustworthy independent mechanic I can refer to for any needed repairs, I'd do it myself but I don't have a garage at the moment.
Old 10-19-21 | 02:43 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

You're telling me. But, when I say drives fine, I mean it shifts in and out of each gear smoothly, I can't tell any difference in the driving when the light is on vs when it's off.

Oh, update, it just came back on tonight, haven't ran the code but pretty sure it's the same one. Took about 500 miles to come back tho.

Luckily I know a trustworthy independent mechanic I can refer to for any needed repairs, I'd do it myself but I don't have a garage at the moment.
Look up what happens when a transmission goes into lockup. You have fluid coupling where the engine transmits 100% of the energy into the torque converter. However this is not a direct coupling to the transmissions input shaft. It is a fluid coupling and there is slippage.

When the TC goes into lockup, the slippage is nearly eliminated. Again, most people don't even feel it. Our cars do this only above 44mph, when warm, foot off the brake, gas pedal not buried, and in gears 4, 5 and 6. TC lockup promotes fuel economy and reduces transmission oil temperature as the TC isnt slipping all the time.
Old 10-20-21 | 07:02 PM
Goon07
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys another update, see what you think of this.

First of all, thank you all for your input. Much appreciated. So I made an appointment for Friday to have it looked at, at a highly rated tranny shop. Well today, after about 300 miles since the light came back on, I came back to the car after stopping at the store real quick, to find the TC, CEL and check VSC lights all OFF. I didn't reset anything or disconnect my battery or anything. Code just cleared itself itself.

Maybe it just needs a good transmission service?
Old 10-25-21 | 02:13 PM
aaguilar11
Driver School Candidate

A good transmission service is a good idea. But I agree with 2013FSport. Your solenoid needs attention. I would have have your mechanic test the solenoid's.
Old 10-25-21 | 02:29 PM
Goon07
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for leaving yall in the dark!

So far nothing yet, car seems to drive smoother in power ect mode if that means anything. seems smoother. I had an appt for a mech to look at it, but he no call no showed me if you can believe it so I'm getting it in Thursday morning. Mechanics down here are weird about dropping a tranny pan and most tranny shops just want to replace the whole thing, like it's all they do.

I'd say go to the dealer but I already know what they're gonna say.
Old 11-06-21 | 12:00 AM
justcrying
7th Gear

Sorry for leaving yall in the dark!

So far nothing yet, car seems to drive smoother in power ect mode if that means anything. seems smoother. I had an appt for a mech to look at it, but he no call no showed me if you can believe it so I'm getting it in Thursday morning. Mechanics down here are weird about dropping a tranny pan and most tranny shops just want to replace the whole thing, like it's all they do.

I'd say go to the dealer but I already know what they're gonna say.
Any update on this? I am having a similar issue although I can feel something is off when car is in lower gears. Even then, the code comes and goes so I wanted to know if the transmission service - if you got it - helped at all.
Old 11-06-21 | 08:09 PM
Goon07
Driver School Candidate

Nothing yet, the code hasn't come back for a couple weeks, it seems like it stays away if I leave it in power etc mode which is strange. I do get a bit of a "bouncy" feeling changing into second gear though...kinda reminds me of driving a manual only not. If that makes sense. I'm gonna get it on on a day off and see what I can find out.
Old 11-08-21 | 05:27 AM
rueshan
7th Gear

Nothing yet, the code hasn't come back for a couple weeks, it seems like it stays away if I leave it in power etc mode which is strange. I do get a bit of a "bouncy" feeling changing into second gear though...kinda reminds me of driving a manual only not. If that makes sense. I'm gonna get it on on a day off and see what I can find out.
So did you ever get the fluid changed on this transmission?
Old 09-28-23 | 02:07 PM
Joe1994ES300
Pit Crew

Default Ck to make sure battery cables tight especially if car was recently in shop for a rep

[Battery cables tight? QUOTE=Goon07;11142790]Greetings all,

​​​​​​[/QUOTE]