Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 05:57 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default SOLVED - Interior lights no longer work after fixing mirror

Ugh ...so at the end of this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-be-wrong.html
I broke the glass and need to replace it....it is in so will do that when daughter comes down again.

But she texted me that the interior lights don't come on anymore and thinks it is related to me working on the mirror.

so I have some questions
1 - the light that shines under the mirror is supposed to come on when? IE what action is done to get that turned on?
2 - is there a fuse for the interior lights and is it related to the mirror light?
3 - if there is a fuse where is the fuse panel? does someone have a link to a diagram ?

when I fixed the mirror I drilled two small holes to run a pin(actually a galvanized piece of wire) through it to hold the nut down. Doing first hole I may have nicked one or two wires, but seem to recall the mirror light coming on so figured I was good. I'm going to have to take mirror apart again and see if the wires are shorting on the pin I put in.

But thought I would tackle a fuse first, if there is one. The issue MAY be unrelated to mirror. (fingers crossed)

Last edited by cfauvel; 10-24-21 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 06:15 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The flood spot lights on the side mirrors come on when you approach the locked car with the FOB.

It also lights up when you unlock the door with your FOB.
Old 10-14-21, 07:29 AM
cfauvel
Driver

Originally Posted by valeoray
The flood spot lights on the side mirrors come on when you approach the locked car with the FOB.

It also lights up when you unlock the door with your FOB.
Thank you so much for the quick response.
Ugh I feel I may have shorted a wire with the drill bit...we'll see the next time she comes down
I looked with the naked eye after I drilled the first hole....but my eyes suck for both near and far. Going to use my bore scope as it acts like a pseudo microscope and I'll be able to see what's up.

do you know if there us a fuse for these lights?
Old 10-14-21, 07:58 PM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cfauvel
Thank you so much for the quick response.
Ugh I feel I may have shorted a wire with the drill bit...we'll see the next time she comes down
I looked with the naked eye after I drilled the first hole....but my eyes suck for both near and far. Going to use my bore scope as it acts like a pseudo microscope and I'll be able to see what's up.

do you know if there us a fuse for these lights?
does the ambient foot well light work?? If not then you may be in big trouble…
my brother was installing the Illuminated scuff plate on his gs350 and shorted it, no fuse, he had replaced the MPX box… good luck!
Old 10-17-21, 11:21 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if there is a specific fuse for those lights. I suspect it would be on the same fuse as the side mirrors, but I am not sure.
Old 10-24-21, 02:10 PM
cfauvel
Driver

Default SOLVED - Update

The daughter came down today so I could replace the mirror glass.I broke the last time she was down.

The first thing I did to see if the broken mirror was the cause of the interior light not coming on, is attached the new mirror to the contact for the defrost ...no change.

Took the mirror off of the plastic backing and tested replacing and taking it off/on ....the bottom tangs were very tight, so I parted the tangs out a bit so it wouldn't be so hard to put it back on.
Then took the two clam shells off to inspect the wiring. It looked like I did nick the red wire to the mirror motor, I was able to barely put some silicone glue and wrap that section with electrical tape. and put the mirror back together.
Put the new mirror glass into the plastic frame, connected the 2 wires and snapped the mirror in place with no problem this time.

Then I researched the fuse boxes found on this car.
https://fuse-box.info/lexus/lexus-is...006-2013-fuses

On the passenger side firewall I found the 10 amp fuse #9 did in fact blow....replaced it with spare and the interior lights came on and the side mirror lights too.
BUT what was making me pucker was the door unlock feature of placing your hand behind the handle wasn't unlocking the door or turning on the side mirrors. Seeing diagnosing nightmares on Diagnose Dan's youtube channel I was internally yelling NOOOOOOO. my Spare remote also wasn't opening the truck like I would expect it to, taking too long to actually open.

THEN it dawned on me..my kid has her fob in her purse and she leaves her purse in the car when I home (I keep yelling at her about that....we live in a good neighborhood...should have raised her in Miami....she'd learn)

As soon as I moved her purse far enough away from the car, the system behaved normally. Lock the car, approach the car and side mirrors come on, place my hand behind the handle and it unlocks the car.

WHEW